Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone external speaker doesn't work / airplane mode message constant

Default iPhone external speaker doesn't work / airplane mode message constant
    Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my iPhone, it's acting very strange. Just got it two weeks ago now, and it started acting up last week. I guess the easiest way to do this is to just list the problems I am having:

1. The external speaker makes no sound. I do not get any sound when I unlock the phone (the little click), no sound when I input text in a text message, no sound when I play a song in ipod mode. The only time I get sound from the external speaker is when someone calls me - the ringtone works fine.

2. Even stranger is the fact that the external speaker will work when it is plugged into the dock cradle. Sounds come from the speaker when I play a song in ipod mode, etc. When I take out the USB cable from the dock and plug it directly into the iPhone, once again sounds do NOT work. Weird huh?

3. I get the "Accessory is not made to work with iPhone...Do you want to turn on airplane mode?" message every 10 seconds. It's ridiculous. Whenever I unlock it, I get that message. After undocking it, I get the message. Nothing is plugged into the iPhone, not even the dock or the headphones and it will pop up this message.

4. All the sounds and everything work fine with the headphones plugged in. Making a phone call works just fine too, without headphones plugged in, just normal.

I have tried doing a restore, tried hard reseting, checked all the relevant settings and I cannot figure out how to fix this problem. Hopefully someone can help me out here, it's very frustrating.

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not to pin blame or anything, but have you checked the liquid submersion indicator? On the 3G it should be in the headphone jack and I think there're one or two in the dock connector area on the bottom. Basically, if you see any red or pink marks or spots, some form of liquid got to it. The problems you're mentioning are what I've seen often enough on liquid damaged phones. If that's not the case, make an appointment at your nearest Apple Store and arrange to get the phone replaced. Mention your restores since the issue to expedite the visit. More than likely you'll get the phone replaced.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Default Kcrmson
    Kcrmson:: Thanks for ur response, actually the phone is a a week old and i looked into the docks and headphone jack as you mentioned, but there were no red or pink spots on it. im not sure if i mentioned this, but i have the first generation iphone which i unlocked for t-mobile. what im not so sure about, is if apple will except a exchange for an unlocked phone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

First generation phone? Good. Chance of one being in stock at any Apple Store is really good. Now I know they phone's being a royal pain in the butt right now but you'll want to mimic a virgin phone as best you can. I suggest plugging into the computer, holding Home and Sleep til the unit resets, keep held for a couple seconds then release Sleep (while still holding Home) until iTunes notices the phone. It'll be in DFU mode and no longer do the 10 second thing. Since we're swapping the phone out, restore to whichever firmware you want, but it might help to be on 2.0.1 to save you time at the bar. Inform them you just restored it, if the Airplane mode thing still comes up (I'm betting it will), you should be all set for a swap. The restore will probably error out when you do it due to the unlocked baseband, but it might not. Even if it errors out with a 1604 or 1600 error, that's fine. Let them know that's what you got when you restored, the iTunes errors aren't clearly defined for the folks at the bar, so this will let you pretty much get away with swapping the phone out.
    Good luck!
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

Default Kcrmson
    Thank you for the advice. i went in and they gave me a replacement, and it works fine. do you know if i can upload my hotmail account on iphone?

dude i have the similar problem
    i have the first gen iphone and i updated my iphone to 3.1.2
    but that hasnt worked either
    so can u suggest me a another way to get rid of this problem apart from going to the apple store.
    I am losing my patience with this phone...my warning msg pops in every 3 seconds or so.

Your phone has a damaged flex cable. You need to get it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing.

If your phone suffered water damage, then you likely have other problems with it as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piazza331 For This Useful Post:

tycoon184 (04-25-2010)