Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone in pool = FAIL! Can it be saved?

Default Iphone in pool = FAIL! Can it be saved?
    I jumped into a pool the other day with my iphone first gen in my pocket. It probably saw water for a good 5 minutes.

When I got out I noticed that it was in my pocket, I immediately got it into a desiccant (White rice) and sealed it up into a Rubbermaid container. Thank you Apple for making it so hard to get the battery out!!!

When I got home I took it out and sealed it in a container full of Silica (It has a higher affinity to water than rice) and let it sit over night. The next day I got my precision tools and started working on getting the case off, it was a ****, even though I had a case opener tool it took me 2 hours, not something you want to do for fun, when I got into the iphone the battery was soldered to the circuit board so I had to desolder that and remove the battery.

I then took the phone and all the pieces but the battery to a Room Temperature Vacuum Chamber, seriously, the guy did a demonstration for me but putting in a cup half filled with water, it was bone dry in 5 minutes.
    So I left my iphone in the chamber for 1 hour. It didn't work, there was and is NO water in that phone, I soldered the battery back to the board and it won't boot up, no lights, sounds, nothing. It's dead.

What could be the culprit? I tried hooking it up to the charger, still nothing.

What do you guys think?

Andy

Thanks

The damage done by a bullet doesn't disappear once you take it out of the body. The parts in your iPhone (resistors, IC chips, etc which are also made of silica) absorbed the water too. Bottom line, don't give electronic instruments a bath, it kills them.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Yea, I know. I knew it was probably gone when I took it out of my pocket, but this is not the first time I have or know someone who has submerged a phone and brought it back to life.

Anyone want to buy an LCD screen!? lol.

Andy

Oooooohhhh, that sucks! But, it looks like you've done everything you can. I'm sure some of the resisters and chips are shorted. You could go through the entire board and test each piece to find where the problem is. I'm sure there are several problems in there. Otherwise, I think you're buying a new phone.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

i dropped mine in da dogs bowl n it was ther for a few seconds but i put it infront of my air n it works perfectly months l8r

Quote Originally Posted by eurisko View Post
    the damage done by a bullet doesn't disappear once you take it out of the body. The parts in your iphone (resistors, ic chips, etc which are also made of silica) absorbed the water too. Bottom line, don't give electronic instruments a bath, it kills them.

*dies*
    Last edited by mobsta; 08-05-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You serious? 5 minutes of water?! That's wayyyyyy too long.

Thanks

That is my biggest fear, having my iphone in the pool when i jump in. It sounds like you know what you are doing to draw all the water out. But that may not be enough to dry it. Especially concerning the special touch input screen.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

ill take your charging assembly and back black piece

It Is What It Is...

Thanks

hey if it's still under warranty, another guy from this site said he had a water damaged iPhone and he took out the sticker that turns red when it gets wet out of the bottom of the headphone jack and took it into apple and said that it just died randomly and since they didn't see anything in the headphone jack, they replaced it for free

hey i for got my phone was in my pocket and it got washed i know its gone its a 3g do u know where the water detector in the 3g's are thank you

Thanks

lilj23, read the post above you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

You're too late to fool apple, those stories are floating around everywhere, they already know what to look for with tampering.

Donate your phone to LT, he needs your parts. It's a tax write off anyway. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/buy-sel...nor-parts.html
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s