Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone and ITunes over WI-FI

Default Iphone and ITunes over WI-FI
    I have a version 1 IPhone which is running v2 firmware.

I have a wireless router, connected by cable to the PC, my PC connects to the internet and so does my IPhone over WIFI, no problems, both have IP addresses in the same range. I cannot get ITunes to see the IPhone over WIFI, of course if I plug it into the PC it finds it perfectly. I just fancy using the IPhone remote software I downloaded from App Store but I cannot get to place where I can type in the 4 digit code, anybody any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I've been playing with Remote all morning. Just wish it had two options....the ability to remotely stream my library back to the iPhone, and then display lyrics. Hopefully in an update, or maybe the other j/b app will show up for v2.0 software.

When I installed, I just opened Remote, and then it prompted me to open iTunes, and poof, it was working.

Here is the Apple document, make sure all the requirements are there (versions) and then see if it'll work?

About Remote for iPhone and iPod touch

Quote Originally Posted by hartphoto View Post
    I've been playing with Remote all morning. Just wish it had two options....the ability to remotely stream my library back to the iPhone, and then display lyrics. Hopefully in an update, or maybe the other j/b app will show up for v2.0 software.

When I installed, I just opened Remote, and then it prompted me to open iTunes, and poof, it was working.

Here is the Apple document, make sure all the requirements are there (versions) and then see if it'll work?

About Remote for iPhone and iPod touch
    I read this before - I run the remote controller and it asks me to open a library - it gives me a 4 digit code - but my IPhone does not come up in ITunes, unless I dock it of course, but even then I have no place to type the 4 digit code. Do you see you IPhone in ITunes via WIFI?

I have the latest software 7.7 ITunes and V2 on the IPhone

I think your problem is the network....

I have both a WiFi connection and a cable connection to my PC (actually a Mac, but that shouldn't matter). So, basically I have 2 IP connections on one computer, a 192.168.1.x via my wired connection which connects into a DSL type router, and a connection out of that router to an Airport Extreme which is setting up via DHCP a 10.0.1.x network for our iPhones/other Macs in the house. My WiFi connection on my iPhone is also 10.0.1.x. If I turn off the WiFi connection on the Mac (which means the Mac is only connected wired like your PC to a 192.168.1.x network), and I don't see the iPhone in iTunes to setup and enter the code for iRemote to work properly.

You mention that you have a similar setup, but you don't mention the WiFi network of the PC (only that a cable is attached, and this isn't making actually a part of the WiFi subnet).

So, are you sure your PC connects to the WiFi network (and not just via a cable that is attached to a dual hub/wifi router)? Can you ping the iPhone from a terminal session on the PC? If you can, then it should work. Or, check to make sure the IP address on your iPhone is the same subnet that is being assigned on your PC.

HTH.

Default Quite possible - never thought of that
    Just tried a ping - and it does reply - so they are both on the same network and can see each other - now I really have no idea.

Could it be anything to do with Winpwn - is it that my version of ITunes has now been Pwned - who knows?

Thank you for the suggestion - it's not really important, just thought it could be cool to use the IPhone as a remote.

By the way I have checked in ITunes to make sure that 'look for IPhone and IPod touch remotes' is checked.

Yeah...I'm stumped now too.

And, iTunes has no idea of if your iPhone is locked/unlocked and/or jailbroken/not jailbroken. At least, I don't think so. It's never been mentioned in anything I've read anyway.

I have a problem similar to this...my macbook which connects wirelessly detects the remote right away, but my PC desktop which is connected to the router doesn't detect the remote at all..