+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is Error (9) in itunes when restoring?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
my iphone screen went all black. when i plug it into my pc itunes recognizes it and i try to resrore it but when it restores it gets to the
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What is Error (9) in itunes when restoring?
    my iphone screen went all black. when i plug it into my pc itunes recognizes it and i try to resrore it but when it restores it gets to the preparing iphone for restore and stays there for a while then tells me an error occured (9). i have 1.1.2 jailbroken, im stuck now help please

Thanks

try checking apple.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Please....did you find an answear about whats the error 9 in itunes?! Iīm having the same problem with my iphone!!

Thanks

Wow! you revive a 6 month old thread, give no details as to what your phone and FW are and what you are trying to do and expect a sensible answer?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You mean 1 year and 6 months!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well the question only was, what is or means error 9 in itunes!!
    But i guess your right, if i give more details i can then have more solutions to my real problem, that is:

My 2g iphone with 2.2 FW fell in the floor and it gave me the connect to itunes sign.
    I did it and it told me i had to restore it because it was in recovery mode.
    Tryed to do it in different ways, using custom and original FW and nothing.
    Gives the apple sign that is doing the process but when it gets to the end it stays forever like that. So after one hour and excessive heat i think, i had to disconnect and then gave me error 9.
    Dont know what to do and getting very desesperate cause im in portugal and because the phone was bought in the US there is no assistence to him here.

Can you help me now please?! :P

Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 6,032 Posts

put it in DFU mode and restore again.
    Here's how.

INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Alternative Method:

Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.

Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.

Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.

Also a video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKCfzezGXw&feature=channel_page[/ame]

This way you can determine if it's software or hardware.
    Since you dropped it, might be broken.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-16-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks

When restoring the iPhone, if you get through Preparing the iPhone stage until you get the message on the computer saying "Waiting for iPhone" - if this lasts for as long as you leave the iphone connected, and when you disconnect it Error 9 is produced - it seems to mean that there is a problem communicating with the main processor of the iPhone - although I lack the technical knowledge to explain this properly.

Anyway, you still have a good chance to get your iphone running again, I have had this problem on a 2g 8gb that froze up, so I force rebooted and it went straight to itunes screen - it took around 30 different restore attempts using different firmware versions to get it back restored. I also have it regularly on a 3g 16gb which loves crashing and then just showing the apple logo forever, and that takes well over 50 restore attempts before it will finally take a firmware - for example it last crashed overnight on Friday, and I got it restored finally yesterday afternoon.

What you need to do is set the iphone off restoring in iTunes (USE the DFU instructions above - DFU seems to work much better), if it says waiting for iphone still when the bar on the iphone gets beyond half way along put the iphone into DFU again (just grab it, hold top and home buttons till it shuts off. Release the buttons, then hold home and power buttons again for 10 seconds, release power button and wait for it to appear in iTunes). I don't know if it helps or not, but I tend to vary the firmware files I am using, if nothing else it makes the process a little less boring, download different firwares from here:-

iPod and iPhone Firmware Download

Keep trying, if there is no bar on the iphone for the firmware you are using - then if it hasn't got beyond Waiting for iPhone after 5 minutes then it won't at all so start again.

I can't work out what makes it finally take, maybe all the reboots and putting in DFU mode, maybe it just does it when it feels like it. On my 3g 16gb I took the MOBO out to see if disconnecting the battery power would help, but it had no affect. So you are stuck with just keeping on trying to restore it, and hope that one time it will take the firmware. I can't guarantee it will work, but it's worth trying - and post back if you do get it running!
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robcoffee For This Useful Post:

Gary54 (01-31-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy069 View Post
    You mean 1 year and 6 months!
    No, I meant 6 months - didn't you know we're a year behind you here in the UK?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

" When restoring the iPhone, if you get through Preparing the iPhone stage until you get the message on the computer saying "Waiting for iPhone" - if this lasts for as long as you leave the iphone connected, and when you disconnect it Error 9 is produced - it seems to mean that there is a problem communicating with the main processor of the iPhone - although I lack the technical knowledge to explain this properly."

This above is exactly what it does!! And i guess he is always in DFU mode cause after i disconnect and he gives Error 9, when i touch him again he gives the cable connect to itunes logo on the screen.

I have tried to restore quite a few times. This last one with FW 1.0.2 but with this it didnīt even go through Preparing the iPhone stage.
    So you think i should go on and on trying until i get it? I am quite worried also because it gets so warm it almost burns. Is this normal?!

Thanks

The getting warm sounds abnormal - I would disconnect from the computer and force shut down (hold home and power until nothing on the screen) and leave it for an hour or so - while it is connected it will be charging which can make it get hot. If you were on 2.0 upwards only try these firmwares as lower ones will give you an error before even trying to restore.

If you have the connect to itunes display on the iphone then you are not in DFU - the screen must be black when itunes detects the iphone in recovery mode for you to be in DFU mode.

I would keep trying, once you have had it disconnected a bit so it can cool down, just use the same firmware files as you had on it previously because you need to get to the waiting for iphone stage at least. Worst case is it won't work and you will have wasted a bit of time.
    Last edited by Robcoffee; 06-17-2009 at 03:40 AM.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One more try and it gets stuck on the same!!
    Is goes till the end of the bar in the iphone but then it stays like that till i disconnect it. And in the itunes it says waiting for the iphone.
    I am going to try the 3.0 now!! Hope it works.....

Thanks

Watch out for the heat, if you have had it connected for some time it will need disconnecting to allow to cool. As I said above if it is still Waiting for iPhone when the bar gets half way full on the iphone then you will need to restart the process. Also it may take alot of tries - when my 2g did this after freezing I spent a Friday evening (some 8 hours) plus a Saturday morning (4 hours) before it finally restored and I had started to think it never would - so you could be looking at a few days of trying!
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I decided to try the 2.1 FW instead before the 3.0 and itīs now giving me another situation.

The process is just the same until i choose the 2.1 FW. Then it goes to preparing the iphone but instead of giving the bar filling it up till the end, it shows the apple logo in the middle and the searching icon below. Donīt know if it is good or bad. Only that it also stays forever like that!! :S

Thanks

Early firmwares, 2.0 upto 2.1 only have that little spinning disk, it is only the more recent ones 2.2 and 2.2.1 and now 3.0 that have that bar along the bottom. Both mean the same thing, and really want you need to know is what iTunes says - if iTunes says "Waiting for iPhone" for longer then five minutes then force shut down (hold top button and round button until screen goes black), iTunes will say error 9 click ok, then press round button and top button for 10 seconds exactly, then release power and keep holding home button until iTunes recognises iPhone in recovery mode (nothing should be on the iPhone screen), select your firmware and try again.

I can't be sure, but it could be the repeated power off, enter DFU, restore, power off, enter dfu cycle that is able to reset the processor - so you really are going to have to keep on trying. Of course there could have been some hardware damage from the drop, but the only way to find that out is to take it somewhere for repair - and constantly trying to restore it is free at lease (albeit a but boring after try 20, tedious after try 30 and beyond 40 I normally feel glad my hammmers are out in the shed otherwise it'd get a luddite style reboot)

Oh, and another thing, for good measure try different USB ports every so often.
    Last edited by Robcoffee; 06-17-2009 at 06:12 AM.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm having the same exact issue. I got the phone from a friend so I don't know if anything is broken. I have got it to downgrade to 1.0.2 and a successful 1.1.3 restore although it says "restore needed" and WiFi doesn't work (greyed out). I think there is a problem with the baseband when the wifi is unavailable. Is there a quick fix or way to flash the baseband?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default deano with the video!
    found this really useful, but i have a mac and the mouse is different it wouldnt let me get to the part of finding my firmware?
    help please?

Thanks

The mouse makes no difference whatsoever.
    To select a FW when you restore on a Mac just hold down the option key when you click restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPod Touch 2G Crash - Can't restore... Tried a lot...
    Hello everyone,

my friend's iPod Touch 2G kinda died at christmas (exactly one day after the warranty expired). It was jailbroken on 3.1.2 (via Pwnage Tool 3.1.4). While playing a game it just crashed and went blackscreen. Since then the iPod boots up in Recovery Mode.

So what did we try so far:

Well, first of all we tried to recovery it about more than 50 times (both normal recovery and DFU mode, with all compatible firmwares (jailbroken and normal)). But either iTunes showed an error (6,9,20,21,1600) or the iPod froze in the process while iTunes was in "Preparing iPod Software for Restore" and the iPod was showing the Applelogo and a full bar (on 2.1.1 it freezes on "Waiting for iPod"). We tried this on WinXP, Win7 and my Mac (MacOSX 10.6.2) with different iTunes versions.

Also we tried to rewrite and upload files with iRecovery or just boot it up with it. Didn't help at all. But iRecovery gave us a little hint that it is maybe a hardware problem, because it gave, while trying to rewrite bigger system files, some Read/Write Errors.

Next tries involved tethered jailbreaking tools like older versions of RedSn0w. With these it was possible to get any firmware recovery over the "Waiting for iPod"-Step but not further. An attempt to jailbreak it again via RedSn0w or BlackRa1n didn't help either.

As mentioned here we should keep on trying restore while switching ports and firmware versions and machines. But as we tried it with a lot of different setups and versions we are a little bit tired.

But maybe anyone has another idea how to get the iPod back to life or knows how to be sure that it is a hardware problem (maybe a diagnostic tool or something like that).

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got an Iphone 2 g 16 gb from a friend which is stuck at recovery mode. I can see it's been pwnage cause the picture in recovery mode is a drawing of Steve Jobs saying something russian, and the start picture is an pineapple instead of the normally apple. I tried to restore it on a win xp with itunes 7.7 but is just sayin waiting for iphone, then i put in DFU mode and it's stil waitin for the iphone. I can see it have some scrates, so can it be a hardware failure?? And how can i check it?

Do any one has a idea to how I fix this phone?!

Pleas help!