Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dead iPhone! Can't reset. Won't wake up!

Default Dead iPhone! Can't reset. Won't wake up!
    My iPhone is completely dead since last friday and I can't find out any way to power it up! Please help!

This Is What Happened!

I went to the supermarket where I found a JBL dock/speaker wich I put my iPhone into. I played a song from the iPhone thru the JBL speakers for about 15-20 seconds before I removed it from the dock station.

About 10 minutes later, when I was playing a game on the iPhone, the phone said it had only 10% battery left and then ran out of power before I quit the game that I was playing.

When I got back home, I put the charger into my iPhone but out of some reason it didn't give me the "charging message" that it used to do, so I unplugged the adapter and then put it back into the phone again. Nothing happened!

• I left the iPhone charging for about 10 hours, but it was still dead when I was trying to start it up!

• I removed the charging adapter for a couple of hours and tried to restore it back to power, still no luck...

• I put the power cable back into the iPhone and charged it for over 30 hours before I pressed the sleep+home button again. D E A D !

The iPhone gets warm while charging, so I think the battery gets power?. Still tough, it doesn't want to start or restore/reset and I really don't know what to do now!

Besides all this I have tried to connect it to my computer, start it, reset it, changed the power adapter, changed the cable and so on... Back and forth. Nothing works!

Is there anyone here with ideas of what to do?

My iPhone is a 1.0.2, virginized and upgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroken and unlocked with help from the guides here on modmyi.com.

p.s.
    I live in Sweden so I can't walk over to an Apple Store, asking them to replace my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by R.E View Post
    My iPhone is completely dead since last friday and I can't find out any way to power it up! Please help!

This Is What Happened!

I went to the supermarket where I found a JBL dock/speaker wich I put my iPhone into. I played a song from the iPhone thru the JBL speakers for about 15-20 seconds before I removed it from the dock station.

About 10 minutes later, when I was playing a game on the iPhone, the phone said it had only 10% battery left and then ran out of power before I quit the game that I was playing.

When I got back home, I put the charger into my iPhone but out of some reason it didn't give me the "charging message" that it used to do, so I unplugged the adapter and then put it back into the phone again. Nothing happened!

• I left the iPhone charging for about 10 hours, but it was still dead when I was trying to start it up!

• I removed the charging adapter for a couple of hours and tried to restore it back to power, still no luck...

• I put the power cable back into the iPhone and charged it for over 30 hours before I pressed the sleep+home button again. D E A D !

The iPhone gets warm while charging, so I think the battery gets power?. Still tough, it doesn't want to start or restore/reset and I really don't know what to do now!

Besides all this I have tried to connect it to my computer, start it, reset it, changed the power adapter, changed the cable and so on... Back and forth. Nothing works!

Is there anyone here with ideas of what to do?

My iPhone is a 1.0.2, virginized and upgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroken and unlocked with help from the guides here on modmyi.com.

p.s.
    I live in Sweden so I can't walk over to an Apple Store, asking them to replace my iPhone
    Sorry to be the bad bearer of bad news but you probably have fried the logic board.

Unfortunately, you are not alone in this. There have been numerous posts in many different forums about people plugging into iPod speaker systems and then frying their iPhones. To my knowledge, from what I've read from other's experiences, the iPod speaker and speaker systems out there give out a higher voltage than what the iPhone was designed for as compared to iPods (5v vs 12v I think). In any case, it's really weird but a majority of the posts I've read refer to JBL systems as well as cigarette charging units...

Apple itself states on their accessories site to use iPhones in devices labeled "For Use with iPhone" only. So having seen this, one can conclude that the higher/lower voltage theory seems plausible.

The only solution I can offer to you (ither than trying to send it to Apple which probably won't work) is to go to ifixit.com and purchase the apporiate hardware and try to fix it yourself or find someone local to your area that have the ability to fix iPhones....

Just make sure you call first and determine if the logic board is the actual problem before purchasing it...

Good luck.

OOPS!!! Almost forgot to ask....can you connect via iTunes through your USB cable? If so, you might be able to try a restore, etc and maybe it only screwed up something software based and not hardware...who knows.....

**UPDATE** - Oh Yeah, found this link on other mishaps from a different thread on this forum -> http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/in.../t-212022.html
    Last edited by Sony311; 01-07-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    1.1.2FW w/ 4.02.13_G Baseband. Rock Solid!

Quote Originally Posted by Sony311 View Post
    Sorry to be the bad bearer of bad news but you probably have fried the logic board.

Unfortunately, you are not alone in this. There have been numerous posts in many different forums about people plugging into iPod speaker systems and then frying their iPhones. To my knowledge, from what I've read from other's experiences, the iPod speaker and speaker systems out there give out a higher voltage than what the iPhone was designed for as compared to iPods (5v vs 12v I think). In any case, it's really weird but a majority of the posts I've read refer to JBL systems as well as cigarette charging units...

Apple itself states on their accessories site to use iPhones in devices labeled "For Use with iPhone" only. So having seen this, one can conclude that the higher/lower voltage theory seems plausible.

The only solution I can offer to you (ither than trying to send it to Apple which probably won't work) is to go to ifixit.com and purchase the apporiate hardware and try to fix it yourself or find someone local to your area that have the ability to fix iPhones....

Just make sure you call first and determine if the logic board is the actual problem before purchasing it...

Good luck.

OOPS!!! Almost forgot to ask....can you connect via iTunes through your USB cable? If so, you might be able to try a restore, etc and maybe it only screwed up something software based and not hardware...who knows.....

**UPDATE** - Oh Yeah, found this link on other mishaps from a different thread on this forum -> http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/in.../t-212022.html
    Thank's for the quick reply!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the logic board. The iPhone should have woke up from all charging otherwise, right?

I looked at the installation of a new logic board at iFixit.com. I wouldn't dare to do that installation myself, it would be too exensive if i broke both the iPhone and a new logic board

Regarding sync thru iTunes. No, that doesn't work!

I will check your link to the ilounge forum.

Thanks!

Another question:

If I fried the logic board by using the JBL dock unit, shouldn't the iPhone die immediately?
    As it was now, It took about 10 minutes before it said that I only had 10% of battery capacity left and after that, while I was playing that stupid card game on my iPhone, it went down. Strange?

By the way, this is the JBL product I put my iPhone into:
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...N%20STAGE%20II
    Last edited by R.E; 01-07-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank's for the quick reply!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the logic board. The iPhone should have woke up from all charging otherwise, right?

I looked at the installation of a new logic board at iFixit.com. I wouldn't dare to do that installation myself, it would be too exensive if i broke both the iPhone and a new logic board

Regarding sync thru iTunes. No, that doesn't work!

I will check your link to the ilounge forum.

Thanks!

Another question:

If I fried the logic board by using the JBL dock unit, shouldn't the iPhone die immediately?
    As it was now, It took about 10 minutes before it said that I only had 10% of battery capacity left and after that, while I was playing that stupid card game on my iPhone, it went down. Strange?

By the way, this is the JBL product I put my iPhone into:
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...N%20STAGE%20II
    Yes, the symptoms you described are synonymous with the end result that everyone with a bricked iPhone got before it completely died. I believe you can find more stories even in this website just do a search. You can also try googling keywaords like -> iphone jbl dead

You will see lots of links...

Here's an example of something similiar to your problem -> http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...elp-19380.html

i know someone in the same boat.

quick question: its past the 14 day period after the purchase of the iphone, will apple replace an iphone that is completely dead and won't turn on?

Quote Originally Posted by bloo View Post
    i know someone in the same boat.

quick question: its past the 14 day period after the purchase of the iphone, will apple replace an iphone that is completely dead and won't turn on?
    I'm pretty sure as long as you bought it from Apple and at least have a receipt they might replace for you right there...

Thank's for all the replys!
    Well, by checking around I'm pretty sure that I fried the Logic Board or the battery.

The question is… will Apple replace my iPhone for a new one if I send the phone to my contact in the USA, who can go to the Apple Store with iPhone along with the receipt from the purchase? I bought it for about four months ago.

Thank's for all the replys!
    Well, by checking around I'm pretty sure that I fried the Logic Board or the battery.

The question is… will Apple replace my iPhone for a new one if I send the phone to my contact in the USA, who can go to the Apple Store with iPhone along with the receipt from the purchase? I bought it for about four months ago.
    You could totally try that! What have you got to lose except time?

OK! My iPhone will now travel overseas from Sweden to your big country in the west :P

I hope that Apple have will help me!

Is there anyone here who knows if Apple supports iPhones whitout an active AT&T-card?

My phone is on it's way to a friend in the USA and I hope he can convince Apple to exchange my broken iPhone to a new one But since I'm from Sweden I haven't got any activatet AT&T-account and have heard that Apple only supports iPhones with active AT&T-accounts. Is that true?

Wow I'm really really lucky then. Because I was using the firewire charger for the longest time and that is 12v....... I stopped but nothing has happened to my phone yet thank god.

Hope you manage to get Apple to get you a new one and hope it won't be running 1.1.3 or you might have an expensive brick until the Dev Team jailbreaks it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by stefman View Post
    Hope you manage to get Apple to get you a new one and hope it won't be running 1.1.3 or you might have an expensive brick until the Dev Team jailbreaks it.

Good luck!
    Yes, I know
    But then I at least got a phone that one day might work.
    IF they ever break it…

YEAH!
    I got a new iPhone from Apple Store in CA today!

And guess what? It runs FW 1.1.2!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there anyone here who knows if Apple supports iPhones whitout an active AT&T-card?

My phone is on it's way to a friend in the USA and I hope he can convince Apple to exchange my broken iPhone to a new one But since I'm from Sweden I haven't got any activatet AT&T-account and have heard that Apple only supports iPhones with active AT&T-accounts. Is that true?
    You don't need an activated card, you just need your ATT card in there still. If you are shipping it you can probably say you removed the card and put it into another phone for the time being. I know if you actually take it into the shop they are going to want the sim card (but the policy says it doesnt need t have been activated).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Hi!
    I own an iphone 3G in India and had jailbroken it using redsnow. I had a deep discharge and could not charge it (tried all alterations - cable, wall plug, USB). then I opened redsnow, entered DFU mode and opted for boot tethered only. it was running successfully and redsnow gave message Done!!. A pineapple was on the screen and suddenly the screen went off. I have tried prolonged charging but it never came back to life. Before this it was running fine only that I did not charge it when it had 16% battery. Please help!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by user9492 View Post
    Hi!
    I own an iphone 3G in India and had jailbroken it using redsnow. I had a deep discharge and could not charge it (tried all alterations - cable, wall plug, USB). then I opened redsnow, entered DFU mode and opted for boot tethered only. it was running successfully and redsnow gave message Done!!. A pineapple was on the screen and suddenly the screen went off. I have tried prolonged charging but it never came back to life. Before this it was running fine only that I did not charge it when it had 16% battery. Please help!!!
    You revived an old thread.
    Make a new one. Include firmware .

I thought I had problems when I had to restore a few times...