Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I wrecked my phone (switch)!

Default I wrecked my phone (switch)!
    I dropped it in front of the store and it fell (together with belt leather pouch) and hit ON/OFF switch on the top endge of the iPhone.
    Phone is working as usually but bloody switch is stuck inside. Tried to release it by running exacto knife along edges. No luck, just scratched the top of the phone. Then I came to idea to push switch from inside and for that try you have to remove back cover. It is possible that switch is not only stuck closed but broken closed and will not pop out but I had to try.

Found some videos on YouTube how to do it and all I accomplished so far is to wreck the phone even more. What looked like piece of cake on the video turned into nightmare.
    You have to remove black back cover first using plastic tool. For better or worse iPhone covers are very tight, snug body closely and have very thin edges that I managed to damage quite easily using metal screwdriver and exacto knife. Only plastic pryer I had broke on first try to use it.
    After managing to remove (and damage) black bottom cover I moved to top cover where switch is residing. Removed 3 tiny screws holding it first.
    Again, I supposed to use plastic tool and stick it into the hairline crack between aluminum cover and phone body. It is so thin that I had hard time pushing exacto knife blade in between. How they push plastic tool into the crack i don't know! All I accomplished is to scratch aluminum cover along the edges!

How do you open bloody thing? Is cover suppose to slide out or just flip open? What holds it in place? I need advice.
    It is safe to say that I have to find place that will replace both covers for new ones for me.
    Ideas? Solutions?
    Thanks,

Zack

iPhone? More like MyPhone cosmoLV's Avatar
    Thanks

you need case Opener - HERE and small Philips crewdriver - thats all...
    i think your Power - Sleep/wake button is broken (i just think)
    -----
    This video shows how to open it without broking iPhone's parts
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1z0pw2VK7M"]YouTube - iPhone Screen Replacement & Disassemble/TakeApart Directions[/ame]
    Last edited by cosmoLV; 01-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Carrier: LV LMT
    Runing On FW: 2.0 BL 3.9
    -------------------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cosmoLV For This Useful Post:

bigvaderb (01-08-2008)

I saw exactly that video before opening my phone. Looks so easy for them. Trust me iPhone is assembled very tight with no exposed screws anywhere.
    Where would you buy opening tool?

I also suspect that switch is broken but if it only stuck I should be able to release it.

Zack
    Last edited by ZackP; 01-05-2008 at 08:28 PM.

I must agree with zackP.

I have tried 2 to remove 2 back covers, following video instructions and all I have managed to do is strip the plastic off 3 tools and slightly damage 1 cover while using a screwdriver (placed under cover against battery - from bottom) following guidance from another video.

I can just about get one side off one phone to lift slightly, but it just clicks down again.

I have experience with electronics and am pretty good with my hands, but I just do not know how to get these covers off without further damage.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The same thing happend to me I took the phone apart messed it up even more luckly there was a kool employe at the apple store and he replaced it