+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G crash when installing update, now stuck on boot screen!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I updated one of the applications installed on my iPhone 3G while connected to a 3G network, and while the app update was being downloaded/installed, the phone completely and brought
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G crash when installing update, now stuck on boot screen!
    I updated one of the applications installed on my iPhone 3G while connected to a 3G network, and while the app update was being downloaded/installed, the phone completely and brought me back to the Apple Logo on the startup screen, WHERE IT NOW APPEARS TO BE COMPLETELY STUCK WITH NO APPARENT WAY TO GET PAST THIS LOGO BOOT SCREEN!!

I've tried force quitting by holding the Home+Power buttons for 6 seconds, waiting a while, then pressing the power button again to start the phone back up - NO LUCK...IT REMAINS STUCK ON THE LOGO BOOT SCREEN

I've tried getting the iPhone into recovery mode by holding the Home+Power buttons for 6 seconds till the phone restarts, at which point I let go of the power button and continue holding the home button and then wait for the 'connect to itunes' graphic to appear - NO LUCK...IT REMAINS STUCK ON THE LOGO BOOT SCREEN

I've tried both of the above restart/restore procedures with, and without, the iPhone connected to my computer...I've even left the phone off for an hour to 'chill out', after which powering it back on again simply brings me to the same logo boot screen!!

I AM TOTALLY STUCK HERE, AND I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR RESTORING MY PHONE TO A NORMAL WORKING STATE!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

when trying to put it into recovery mode, make sure your phone is connected to itunes. try that and it should work

Green Apple
    Thanks

that did work....Thanks for you help!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I've now had to restore 3 times on 2 different phones (a 2G and a 3G) with firmware 2.0 (release, no hacks). Apple really needs to fix this!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Following your instruction, I figured out how to properly get my phone into DFU mode, and I was able to restore from a backup via iTunes...

The following day, while installing a new app I wanted from the App Store on my Phone over 3G, the same thing happened again!

Fixed it again the same way as before, but this is freakin' ridiculous...never had nearly as many issues on the first-gen iPhone...

Thanks for your help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nothing new to add other than I have had the same problem twice in two days now. Once seemed to be triggered by opening an app while download/installing over WiFi and the second time was just applying updates while also "removing" an App - in this case AOL Radio. Fortunately I had previously downloaded the latest .ipsw file so don't have to re-download each time this has happened. - Come on Apple ... this is getting old already.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    I updated one of the applications installed on my iPhone 3G while connected to a 3G network, and while the app update was being downloaded/installed, the phone completely and brought me back to the Apple Logo on the startup screen, WHERE IT NOW APPEARS TO BE COMPLETELY STUCK WITH NO APPARENT WAY TO GET PAST THIS LOGO BOOT SCREEN!!
    The exact same thing is happening to me on a 2G iphone (jailbroken, ATT locked, with Pwnage Tool 2.01, running Apple firmware 2.0).

I was updating two official App Store apps (DialZero and WordPress) over my home WIFI network when the phone went directly to the boot screen (silver pineapple) and has stayed there since.
    I'll try the methods suggested earlier in this thread and report back.
    Last edited by dm_hawk; 08-07-2008 at 07:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone who has had this happen to you, please Digg this issue by clicking here so that maybe Apple will start to listen and finally fix the problem!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
    Following your instruction, I figured out how to properly get my phone into DFU mode, and I was able to restore from a backup via iTunes...
    i did that too, and restored with the custom .ipsw file that was created with pwnage tool 2.01 when i originally jailbroke the phone - IT WORKED!!!

i had to reinstall several of my appstore and cydia apps, though, which was time-consuming, but no problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Same thing with my 2g not jailbroken or any mods. Stuck on boot logo. Working on restore now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just happened to me for the 3rd time. luckily, it's yet to happen while i'm paddling up sh*t creek, though i'm sure eventually i'll be paddle-less in said creek unless apple fixes it soon...

Thanks

Solutions...

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 3G stuck at the Apple logo ...

I've not tested the two methods outlined within, but essentially for those not jailbroken there's the connect to itunes and reboot 3 times, waiting about 5 minutes between each (see EyeDoc post). The more interesting long term fix looks like from JayBerk to disable the watchdog process. I am going to test this, but his explanation seems concise. So far, I have not seen a frank solution as within the above thread on these forums (aside from general consensus to "take it slow" , reboot between installs, yada). Maybe someone can make a sticky to a solution - once I test this I will start a new thread is someone else has not already...

Cheers

PS: I found what I believe is the original author to JayBerk's posting above over at Hackintosh, authored by Mandrake. Seems somewhere else on this site someone may have already provided a link, but here it is again for convenience: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49782
    Last edited by Atreides; 09-02-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: New info...

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

The solution is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh