+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get iphone into DFU mode so I can restore

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi everyone, First post here! Seems like a great forum with a wealth of info. My iphone story is a little long, so I'll try to put it in point
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Exclamation Can't get iphone into DFU mode so I can restore
    Hi everyone,

First post here! Seems like a great forum with a wealth of info.

My iphone story is a little long, so I'll try to put it in point form:
    • Knowingly bought a bricked phone which is week 41, 1.1.1 OTB, 8gb.
    • Was unlocked by seller via a web site service, but after 1 month it wouldn't connect/charge via usb.
    • Seller removed "lockdownd" file and now phone doesn't boot.
    • After pressing power button, apple logo/black screen appears and hangs there, after a few minutes, the circular sun-like appears below the logo, the screen flashes to white and the phone reboots, only to go through the same thing over and over again
    • iPhone is not recognized/charged via USB cable on either PC and Mac, and not recognized in itunes on either OS
    • iPhone is able to be charged via firewire cable on a Mac

Have been doing a lot of reading on various forums, it seems like the ideal solution is to get the phone into DFU mode to restore it, but the problem is I can't get into DFU mode.

I've tried several different things to get it into dfu mode:
    • Pressed power/home button until logo screen fades to black, then held home button (also tried opposite button order)
    • Pressed power/home button until logo screen fades to black, then logo screen comes up again and fades to black again, then held home button
    • Held both power/home for various different lengths of time
    • Manually launched itunes on both pc and mac while trying to get phone into dfu mode

Can anyone please help me with suggestions?!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to r2traps For This Useful Post:

bluesse_35 (12-08-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

the way i get my in DFU mode is having the phone off then hold power/sleep button and home until screen goes blank, then let go power but keep holding home button then connect to pc using the dock(so pretty much once the screen goes blank dont let go of home until itunes sees it) until itunes sees its in retore mode.

well that works for me hope it works for u

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that method and it didn't work for me. After I open itunes, the screen just stays blank, no matter how long I hold the home button. I've held it anywhere from a few seconds up to about 10 minutes.

Thanks

Is it possible that the previous owner got the iPhone wet? I had a similar issue with a Motorola V3 that accidentally got left in a pocket and went through the wash. Dried it all out and it seemingly worked but it messed up the USB connector. I never could get the phone to be recognized by a PC or to charge via USB. Interestingly, I could charge via the ac adapter.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't believe that's the problem. With the iphone, the usb and firewire connection is the exact same. The only difference is that one cable has a usb connection and the other has a firewire connection. Since I'm able to charge via firewire, I think it's a software problem that may have killed/disabled the usb driver on the iphone.

Thanks

Same with the Moto V3- the ac charger uses the same port as the USB cord but it mustr have fried the USB drivers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

hold down both buttons 45sec. the iphone will turn off then on, still hold both buttons pass the apple logo. Don't release any button. Your iphone will be in the restore mode.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion deedeedee, I tried exactly that but got no results. I even held the home and power buttons for longer, almost 10 minutes, and all I get is a blank screen on the iphone. When I first press the power and home buttons the Apple logo comes up, then fades off, then comes up again, then fades off and stays that way. Nothing happens in itunes either.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Razorinthe60s's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm having the same issue. Did you find a different way to place into DFU RESTORE? If you did please share the info.
    Thanks in advance

iPhone? More like MyPhone JK1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Open Iphuc.exe and manually enter DFU recovery mode its very easy to do

Is your computer even recognizing the iphone when plugged in?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is how I do it

open iTunes
    plug in phone
    hold power and home till it apple logo comes up
    then while still holding home, release the power button

should take about 30-45 secs for iTunes to recognize your phone in restore mode, assuming of course that your sync port is still good. Just because it charges does not necessarily mean it will still communicate with your computer.

I washed my razr once, it used to charge fine but couldn't communicate with my PC no matter what I did.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pncntigger For This Useful Post:

Bhavinjpatel1 (05-29-2010)

Thanks

One thing to try would be another usb lead if you can borrow one? i have heard of a few charging but not allowing the pc connection?
    1.1.3(DT) UK Vodafone
    102(w36)->111->112->113 (NT)
    All systems working

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

r2traps
    the method of holding power + home and releasing power when the apple logo appears has to work :S
    I had the similar problem with the logo appearing and also the loading circle but i just performed the latter and im now in restore mode.
    You have changed files and so did I but i was still able to get in to the restore mode.
    Hope you get it, best of luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

theres a difference between regular restore mode and dfu restore mode. In dfu restore mode the screen is black and in regular restore the screen has the itunes icon. I am currently having trouble putting my iphone into dfu restore too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

why dont you just connect your iphone to your computer then, click on the start up menu, click run and then copy and paste the dfu manually. heres the file:http://www.sendspace.com/file/93fx93. download that file that extract it to your c drive. afterwards copy and paste this:c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu in the "run" menu. it works for me all the time

why dont you just connect your iphone to your computer then, click on the start up menu, click run and then copy and paste the dfu manually. heres the file:http://www.sendspace.com/file/93fx93. download that file that extract it to your c drive. afterwards copy and paste this:c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu in the "run" menu. it works for me all the time
    Last edited by im-foney; 02-10-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here's the trick.

Make sure your speakers are on.

Both buttons until the screen goes black.
    WAIT for the disconnect sound, and then release power button while still holding the sleep button.

Hold sleep button until the screen goes black.

Now you're in DFU.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how do you enter recovery mode if Home key does not work and Mac wont recognize the iphone. I need to reinstall 1.14 as home key has stopped responding all together. Can't go backwards or hard reset using On/Off and Home Key.
    [/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you ever find a fix for this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this actually worked for me to get it into dfu mode. my phone was booted up saying repair needed.:

from Mitchel:
    Here's the trick.

Make sure your speakers are on.

Both buttons until the screen goes black.
    WAIT for the disconnect sound, and then release power button while still holding the sleep button.

Hold sleep button until the screen goes black.

Now you're in DFU.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi these instructions sound promising and we are getting the connect/disconnect sounds, but no luck yet.

One thing, isn't the power button and the sleep button the same button? Could use some clarification here! So close.

Thanks