Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gutted iphone i was going to buy turns out not to be a iphone

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Gutted iphone i was going to buy turns out not to be a iphone
    As above a friends dad said he could get iphone at a really good price, too good to be true infact at a stupid price of 150, i nearly wet my pants with joy. went to go look at them today and they turned out to be some jap knock off. see link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CECT-P168-Dual...QQcmdZViewItem

i laughted when i saw them and said no thanks, did a quick search on ebay and found loads cheaper that what he was flogging them at...

So my fellow hackers/modders it come to the time where im going to go into town tomorrow morning and visit my local O2 shop and buy one out right, my question for you all is, if the iphones are version 1.1.2 will i still be able to insert my pay and go O2 sim like you can do on version 1.1.1 and away i go, or will i have to unlock it???

thanks

bump
    Last edited by Rustynuts; 12-26-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If it is anything other than what you sign with or agree with at O2 then you have to unlock it but there isn't any unlocking solution for OTB 1.1.2 phones YET ....

In other words, if O2 say no then no..
    If I help you out, help me out by clicking the button

Thanks

You can use any o2 sim on a UK phone, you don't need a contract.
    To live, you have to lie

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You can use any o2 sim on a UK phone, you don't need a contract.
    so will i have to downgrade it to 1.1.1 to activate it, or will it be a case of just opening the box pull out the sim and insert my payg sim and the phone will activate itself??

thanks so far redcard.

anyone else shed any light on weither or not or should i say how i activate the iphone, ill be setting off in a hour to go buy one, and i dont want to get home and i find im stuck lol
    Last edited by Rustynuts; 12-27-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You must be thickheaded...

Which part of YOU CANNOT UNLOCK/ACTIVATE OTB 1.1.2 eludes you?
    Search NAZI

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Oxygen View Post

im not thickheaded im just confused if you cant activate a otb 1.1.2 why is someone else telling me i can use my payg O2 sim..

this is why i asked to get more feedback as im not 100% sure, so right your saying i buy a uk phone and insert my O2 uk sim, nothing will happen, what if i downgrade too 1.1.1 cant i activate it that way and leave it as that, or does it not work like that....

look forward to your response lol

remember hate the game not the player

You CAN activate it to use any O2 simcard - you cannot unlock it to use other network simcards though. I am using a 1.1.2OTB on a non-iphone O2 contract successfully.

There are many many free guides available, I used this one:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15837

It helped me to download all of the files first and make an offline copy of the instructions incase they disappeared (which they did when I was activating mine - modmyi.com went offline).

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    im not thickheaded im just confused if you cant activate a otb 1.1.2 why is someone else telling me i can use my payg O2 sim..

this is why i asked to get more feedback as im not 100% sure, so right your saying i buy a uk phone and insert my O2 uk sim, nothing will happen, what if i downgrade too 1.1.1 cant i activate it that way and leave it as that, or does it not work like that....

look forward to your response lol

remember hate the game not the player
    This guide should also work. I think you need to upgrade to 1.1.2 to get the phone functions to work, as the 1.1.2 baseband is not compatible with 1.1.1 firmware.

This guide is probably the same thing as the one above

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18284

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Oxygen View Post

He wants to use an o2 PAYG sim on a UK phone, which is perfectly plausible.
    You've been around here how long, yet you don't know that??
    Last edited by redcard; 12-27-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    To live, you have to lie

Ah. Ok. I missed that part. I was tired last night... I was sleepy... I was... drunk? Yeah, that's it. Drunk...

I did misread his post. Apologies, OP.
    Search NAZI