Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is iphone charge voltage?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default What is iphone charge voltage?
    I bought an iphone FM transmitter/charger for the iphone. I plugged it in and it works but I just looked at the back of the charger it said 12 volts 1 amp output. Will this 12 volt charger burn up the iphone? I thought I read somewhere that 12 volt charging the iphone is not good and will burn out the iphone. Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoneHero's Avatar
    Thanks

crap...sorry...hold on I'll update this real quick im googling it for ya.

EDIT: here you go.
    http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/in.../t-212022.html
    read what this guy says. apparently its not a good idea. hope you kept the receipt!
    Last edited by iPhoneHero; 12-19-2007 at 11:23 PM.
    "Somebody turn on the lights...its getting little to dark in here...I can't see you...when I'm dreaming...I can't see you....I can't see you..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneHero For This Useful Post:

Crazyfreak (12-20-2007)

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

5v 1amp

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jedinight For This Useful Post:

Crazyfreak (12-20-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick answer.

Careful even charging the iPhone on an iPod Touch charger. Someone please confirm this, but I hear that the Touch charger is 10v while the iPhone's is 5v. A buddy accidentally charged his iPhone on the Touch charger and bricked it. It took me 9 hours to get his iPhone up and running! He didn't tell me about the charging until I asked him if he charged it on the Touch charger. He said, "Yeah, that's when the phone froze."

The unit is OTB 1.1.2, fully working with a TurboSIM.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Default oops worried now
    I'm using an ipod charger for my iphone its 13.8 volts and seems to work fine on my week 37 phone running 1.1.1 but having read this I'm worried it might shorten the battery life, does anyone have experience of this and also it would be good to know what other chargers are recommended.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What is everyones opinion on something like this? Just a simple cigarette lighter to USB puts out 5v +- 5% and 1amp

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1000mAh-USB-c...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Careful even charging the iPhone on an iPod Touch charger. Someone please confirm this, but I hear that the Touch charger is 10v while the iPhone's is 5v. A buddy accidentally charged his iPhone on the Touch charger and bricked it. It took me 9 hours to get his iPhone up and running! He didn't tell me about the charging until I asked him if he charged it on the Touch charger. He said, "Yeah, that's when the phone froze."

The unit is OTB 1.1.2, fully working with a TurboSIM.
    I've charged an iPod Touch with the iPhone USB cable with no hassle.
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfreak View Post
    I bought an iphone FM transmitter/charger for the iphone. I plugged it in and it works but I just looked at the back of the charger it said 12 volts 1 amp output. Will this 12 volt charger burn up the iphone? I thought I read somewhere that 12 volt charging the iphone is not good and will burn out the iphone. Thanks
    most car chargers for the iPod and the iPhone use the FireWire charge pins, which for the phone and pod are rated at up to 35VDC.
    current is a different thing. you will need at least 1A of current any voltage to charge properly. this is why you may have a problem with a USB charge, it's only 5V and limited current. The internal circuitry will manage the voltage and current to charge the battery just fine, using a car charger.

Quote Originally Posted by srbug View Post
    What is everyones opinion on something like this? Just a simple cigarette lighter to USB puts out 5v +- 5% and 1amp

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1000mAh-USB-c...QQcmdZViewItem
    I tried one but the iphone would not bleep when I connected and refused to charge, guess the current was too low or something like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericidle View Post
    I tried one but the iphone would not bleep when I connected and refused to charge, guess the current was too low or something like that.
    Was the one that you tired 1000ma (1amp) ? Becuase i had one at home that was 5.2v and 450ma and it didn't work. But i thought i might give this a try as it states 1amp...

All i want is someway of charging my iphone in my car i'm tempted to go out and buy a 240v power inverter and mount it under my car seat....

Quote Originally Posted by srbug View Post
    Was the one that you tired 1000ma (1amp) ? Becuase i had one at home that was 5.2v and 450ma and it didn't work. But i thought i might give this a try as it states 1amp...

All i want is someway of charging my iphone in my car i'm tempted to go out and buy a 240v power inverter and mount it under my car seat....
    I bought one of these and it works perfectly, I'm told it uses firewire power connections and will work on car 13.8 systems ok, I've been using it every other day for a month with no problems

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290174817563

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericidle View Post
    I bought one of these and it works perfectly, I'm told it uses firewire power connections and will work on car 13.8 systems ok, I've been using it every other day for a month with no problems

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290174817563
    Thanks for that i might get one.. It says output of 5.0v so i guess it should be ok..

FWIW it tried one of those USB adapters that was rated at 5.0v DV and 1amp and it wouln't charge the phone.. I don't get it it's the same specs as the AC charger that comes with the phone...

Anyway this charger will be my last try next i'm getting a dc to ac power inverter

your going through the same steps as me I'm sure you will be just as happy with the result as I was. with no need for the power invertor

So I understand that I should NOT use my 9,5V 500mA +/-5% with my iPhone... I haven't done so yet because it doesn't comply with the original Apple charger...

Will this ruin the iPhone? Shorten battery life? Damnit, I was sold these chargers on Amazon and it stated these are iPhone chargers...

Just remember that there are two voltages for a car charger one is the input voltage that is most of the time up to 13.8volt and there is the output voltage that is more important. It should not go above 5volt. Most have a rating of 5volt and 1000mA = 1.0 amp. You do not need 1000mA as for example a usb port of a pc or laptop supplies only 500mA and that is enough to charge the iphone.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

Well both my car charger and the home charger say "Output: 9 . 5V 500mA +/-5%" so I think I'll leave it... I wonder how they sell it as an iPhone charger... They also say "Charger for iPod" and I though all iPod and iPhone chargers ought to be the same... unless older versions used this voltage?

Thanks for your help, too bad I can't return the chargers

Some ipod's use 10volts to charge, and I remember reading some people burning up their iphone batteries. The iphone will handle higher voltage to some degree but double the recomended voltage is dangerous.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how come my powerpack from noma dosent charge my iphone the output is 5.8 volts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast