+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to become root inside a native application

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi all, does anyone know how to become root inside a native application? By default, native applications are executed by the mobile user. In my application, I need to execute
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to become root inside a native application
    Hi all,
    does anyone know how to become root inside a native application?
    By default, native applications are executed by the mobile user. In my application, I need to execute some system commands (with the "system('command');" call) which need root privileges.
    Since "sudo" does not exist, and since "su" does not work, the only way I found to become root is by typing "ssh root@localhost". The problem is that in this way, we need to introduce the root password in an interactive way and so, not possible inside the source code of my application, i.e. system(ssh root@localhost 'command'); will not work since we can not introduce the root password.

Then I tried several solutions:
    1. Configuring the ssh server with public/private keys in order to be able to log as root without password. This solution does not work with the ssh server of the bsd subsystem!

2. Setting the UID and GID of the mobile user to 0 (like root user) in the passwd and master.passwd files of the iphone file system. The bsd subsystem crashes!

3. Creating a shell script (with the password inside the script in clear text) to do the ssh login automtically, and then executing it from my application with the system command instead of executing the ssh login directly from my application. The problem is that the only way I know to do this script is using the "expect" interpreter not available in the bsd subsystem!

4. chmod ugo+s 'command'. It does not work!

Please, does anybody know a solution to my problem?
    Thank you very much!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

use cydia to download sudo. then using sudo will give let u be the root user for certain commands.

i.e.:
    ls (executed as mobile)
    sudo ls (executed as root)
    hit thanks if thanks are due.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mbrooksr For This Useful Post:

dememali (07-02-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks!!
    But before installing cydia (the iphone is not mine)...do you know if for example "sudo route add -host 10.0.0.2/8 10.0.0.1" will work?
    Coud you try it for me in case you have cydia installed?

Thanks again!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dememali View Post
    Thanks!!
    But before installing cydia (the iphone is not mine)...do you know if for example "sudo route add -host 10.0.0.2/8 10.0.0.1" will work?
    Coud you try it for me in case you have cydia installed?

Thanks again!
    no problem. i tried it and it works fine.
    hit thanks if thanks are due.