Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adding true GPS to iPhone 2G

Default Adding true GPS to iPhone 2G
    Version 1.1.4(4a102) 8G
    Modem Firmware 04.04.05_G
    System Windows Vista Ultimate

I just bought a GPS receiver n I am planning 2 hook it up 2 my iphone n turn the iphone into a GPS device. Is it do-able? ur insight will b grateful.

I'm not sure this would be possible. I remember a while back that someone created a gps module for the iPhone that worked pretty well with the google maps app. What receiver are you planning on using? If it is possible to attach it to the iPhone, an app would have to be written for it to function properly.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Default help
    hi can any one tell me how to download anything to my iphone 16gb using windows 1.1.4 because i am new to all this and seem to be stuck. do i download to my pc or straight from my pc? any help would be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil'siphone View Post
    Version 1.1.4(4a102) 8G

I just bought a GPS receiver n I am planning 2 hook it up 2 my iphone n turn the iphone into a GPS device. Is it do-able? ur insight will b grateful.
    Yes you can connect a gps receiver to the iphone really easy. see here for more info: http://iphone-bugoga.blogspot.com/

Also do a search here on mmi, you will find threads started already on this. You can use Hike.app to see the info from the gps module and much more.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

It's a SIRF III bluetooth GPS SysOn GPS Receiver. I am wondering if anybody has ever done it. I would wanna try as long as there's instruction. I am not good with this modding thing. Tks for all ur insights guys.
    Keep up the good work

It does work, if you check the above link I gave there are instructions. But you need to make a cable, otherwise you can not connect the gps to the phone.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

fear000777 (01-25-2009), na27der (07-20-2008), Wil'siphone (04-19-2008)

What kinda cable is it iBlade? Tks

One side has to be the 30 pin dock connector and the other a mini usb. This is the example for holux gps receiver. But this is not a regular usb port, holux uses the mini usb for it's ttl serial output. The iphone can not handle normal usb, only ttl level as it is 3.3volts. You have to check your gps receivers pinout to connect it correctly. Please check the link in my previous post (4), there is much more info. Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cable-holux.jpg  

Tks iBlade very helpful insight. I am going to check it out!

iBlade do u know a lot about iphone? I am turning on the bluetooth function in my iphone n it keeps on searching 4 device...it goes on like that without being able to find any....am I so far behind or do i need to do something to my iphone? does my iphone function normally?
    Last edited by Wil'siphone; 04-19-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well bluetooth on the iphone works only for headsets, not even stereo headsets are supported. Apple really crippelt the phone in many ways. Simple things are just not possible. Bluetooth file transfer, call recording and many more. On even cheap phone these days you get those features. If it wouldn't be for so many people here writing great apps and the dev team and so many others making the iphone what it is today, I would have probably sold it long time ago. Cause with a regular iphone you will get bored thats for sure, even it has some great things on it as you know. Well sorry for writing so much, as for bluetooth it is very very limited.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max100 View Post
    hi can any one tell me how to download anything to my iphone 16gb using windows 1.1.4 because i am new to all this and seem to be stuck. do i download to my pc or straight from my pc? any help would be grateful.
    Post in the right place bud and someone will probably help you.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max100 View Post
    Post in the right place bud and someone will probably help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil'siphone View Post
    Version 1.1.4(4a102) 8G

Check out this:

Next brief update on the GPS project (4/25/08). A new prototype board has been sent out for manufacturing and the work on the housing has begun.

You can read more at:

http://iphone-gps.blogspot.com/
    NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PmgR For This Useful Post:

Wil'siphone (04-28-2008)

Tks 4 the info PmgR. It's really helpful.

this looks cool might not be bad to try

Default Adding true GPS to iPhone 2G
    Do you guys think that the hardware hackers among us can find a way to add true GPS to the "old" iPhones?

I mean when you REALLY look at it, the only difference between the "old" and the "new" is the built in true GPS. I do know that the iPhone's USB ship supports USB host (read you can plug crap into it), it's just not enabled in the driver. Also, there's serial input, so I'm sure there's a way.

What do you guys think?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

there was a few people that made a little device that could plug into iphone, but i dont think they ever went public, but ikno they made guides to make your own
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

they never made TRUE gps... all the new iphones "GPS" does is FIND YOU instead of makin a giant circle... and then give u turn by turn maps... it doesnt FOLLOW you and tell u when to turn and such...

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

its got a GPS chip so when tomtom or garmin decide to make an app for iphone it will, old iphone dosent even have GPS chip. So yes it has true gps, just because software isnt out yet dosent mean its not real.. they werent lying when they said it has gps. lol
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by jrtek View Post
    they never made TRUE gps... all the new iphones "GPS" does is FIND YOU instead of makin a giant circle... and then give u turn by turn maps... it doesnt FOLLOW you and tell u when to turn and such...
    Yes it does follow you. Didn't you see in the keynote of the car driving down the road and the little point following it?

Tom Tom has already said they have a beta working application for the 3G phone.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast