Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adding true GPS to iPhone 2G

i read somewhere that the tomtom gps for the iphone will work on the 2G iphones...not sure how that would work, maybe i will try and find that site...

edit: it was from yahoo, so who knows if they knew what they were talking about...

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/28816
    Last edited by Buddy17; 06-10-2008 at 11:29 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I really highly doubt it you could, since the new iPhone is thicker.

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

The real GPS is not the ONLY difference, the old one does not have 3G

wow the last two posts were very educational...thank you for the contribution!!!

Default Gps on original Iphone.
    I heard someone was making a gps reciver for the original Iphone. Can any one conferm this? is it a plug in type, or bluetooth? My phone before this was a AT&T 8525 and that didn't have built in Gps put you can use a bluetooth gps reciver and TomTom software. I did try to search for threads on Gps but I couldn't find anything so if its been posted before I'm sorry.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you are mentioning the one I am thinking, it was a plug in type.

I haven't heard anything else about it. Would like to see it though.

I also hear that they are making an actual software program for the iPhone that relies on wifi and I have tested it and it seems to work pretty well. It doesn't even need a special reciever!

iPhone? More like MyPhone flattop95's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard that it will be in the app store and you will ahve to use the app everytime, not a plug in type thing.
    wow, none of my avatars work, so it is blend
    oh and i am black
    90210 ftw!!!

Smile iphone-gps.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercyberjedi View Post
    I heard someone was making a gps reciver for the original Iphone. Can any one conferm this? is it a plug in type, or bluetooth? My phone before this was a AT&T 8525 and that didn't have built in Gps put you can use a bluetooth gps reciver and TomTom software. I did try to search for threads on Gps but I couldn't find anything so if its been posted before I'm sorry.
    Here is an update on the ongoing GPS project. The first housing design is done. Things are coming together. Contract manufacturing is in the works and its a nice sleek plug-in. A website for pre-order sign-up will be up soon as well.

Read more at:
    In the making: GPS for the iPhone and iTouch

PmgR
    NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM

Quote Originally Posted by backXslash View Post
    Do you guys think that the hardware hackers among us can find a way to add true GPS to the "old" iPhones?

I mean when you REALLY look at it, the only difference between the "old" and the "new" is the built in true GPS. I do know that the iPhone's USB ship supports USB host (read you can plug crap into it), it's just not enabled in the driver. Also, there's serial input, so I'm sure there's a way.

What do you guys think?
    Here is an update on the ongoing GPS project. The first housing design is done. Things are coming together. Contract manufacturing is in the works and its a nice sleek plug-in. A website for pre-order sign-up will be up soon as well.

Read more at:
    In the making: GPS for the iPhone and iTouch

PmgR
    NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM NO SPAM

Default as
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Post in the right place bud and someone will probably help you.
    sadassssssssssssssssssssssssx

Hi, i'm new to the GPS system, and i'm using the iphone2G currently. Since i already install the 3dr party software in the cydia which is "xGPS" so, I would like to know that, where can i purchase an Holux M 1200 @ M 1000 ? would it compatible to the iphone2G ? or should it used the special cable for that ?

Default iphone 2G OS 3.0 and Tomtom
    I tried tomtom on my iphone 2g with the 3.0 fw and it works! However it does not allow me to track my position since I don't have a gps or a data plan.

I'm trying to see if I can use GPSserial to utilize the gps unit off of my blackberry but I have no idea where to start.

I still like my setup as I can still type in addresses and cross streets to navigate to my destination

Pang: what you want is something like this http://store.igpsd.com/products/iphone-gps-cable

I haven't tried this setup yet nor this vendor. You'll also need this GPS Serial - http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/tag/gpsserial/ to make your iphone think that your gps puck is an internal gps unit

Good Luck!
    Last edited by eatup0; 09-14-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Default igps360
    Orange Gadgets has an awesome little GPS for the iPod/iPhone/iPad.. They finally came out with a jailbreak for my ipod touch 3rd gen w/3.1.3, and this GPS makes it.. well, almost perfect.. (Throw a damn camera on there, APPLE.. Geez!!)

it's at orangegadgets.com and it's even made in the USA! (with foreign parts..lol)

-DJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12