Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G iphone. What about all of us "Edge" Iphone owners?

Default 3G iphone. What about all of us "Edge" Iphone owners?
    Hi everyone in the iphone world. I'm sure all of you know that a "3G" iphone will be released at some point early or by mid 2008. This is good news. I can't wait to be able to surf the internet anywhere I am without having to wait the grueling 2 to 3 minutes somtimes for a page to completely download. But this raises a huge concern to me as well as it should to all of us current iphone owners. (Currently over 1 million strong in the U.S. alone). What will be done for all of us? It's clear that to get on the "3G" network you will need a new iphone (can't be achived through a firmware update). So what will Apple have in store for all of us? Will they just simple expect us to pony up another $400 or $600 dollars for a completley new iphone. Or will they work out a store credit plan as they did to reimburse all of those who purchased early iphones before the price drop. Maybe they can come up with a service plan where we can bring our iphones to apple stores where they can open up the phone and replace the "Edge" chipset with the "3G" chipset and replace the old battery with a new advance battery. I'm not too sure what will happen, I was just putting this out there because I find it hard to believe that Apple and Jobs will just simply expect all of us to buy completely new iphones, and when the "3G" network becomes available won't that make "Edge" obsolete? Does anyone out there have any ideas of what to expect in the near future in reguard to this situation? Like I said Im excited that "3G" will finally be coming to the iphone but at what price will we (current iphone owners) have to pay to upgrade? What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Of course they expect you to buy a new product. They *may* offer a trade-in program for current users looking to upgrade like some other companies do but the discount won't be much. The new iPhones will have EDGE data as well for areas where 3G is not available. Your current phone will continue to work just as it always has.

Thanks

It's a very expensive hobby to be on the cutting edge of technology if you want to remain there. Technology is constantly changing and we all know our toys are going to be obsolete someday. Apple doesn't owe us anything. You didn't see Apple offering G3 owners a rebate when the G4 came out, or G4 owners a rebate when the G5 came out. That's just the way things are.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    think about this: the razr came out running on edge....lots of people spent 500 bucks on it when it came out....a year and a half later they released the v3xx which ran on 3G...did they expect people to buy another one? absolutely....because thats the way technology works....you buy cool stuff when it comes out...and then it becomes obsolete in 6 months and you buy something cooler. fact is....if a 3G iphone comes out i'll drop 600 bucks on it regardless of when i bought my iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Amosrock View Post
    think about this: the razr came out running on edge....lots of people spent 500 bucks on it when it came out....a year and a half later they released the v3xx which ran on 3G...did they expect people to buy another one? absolutely....because thats the way technology works....you buy cool stuff when it comes out...and then it becomes obsolete in 6 months and you buy something cooler. fact is....if a 3G iphone comes out i'll drop 600 bucks on it regardless of when i bought my iphone.
    I totally agree. This is the nature of technology and I WILL spend the money on a 3g iPhone when it comes out. Apple now owns my soul.

Considering we don't have 3G here I live, I could care less :P

But yeah, I'd be surprised if they even allow some form of trade-in. A 3G phone would be a whole new deal inside the belly of the iphone so full-cost for everyone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone HarlemState's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Bigger Picture
    The 1G period began in the late 1970s lol.. Thats like...analog, and radio.

2g began in the early 90's witch includes CDMA, GSM and EDGE, what were all using till this very day (On Moble Devices)...Thats like almost 20 years ago..lol whoaa

3gs been out already, bout late 90's 98-99..but was only use for like businesses, government offices, the military, even space stations and spacecrafts.

Now if you use 3g for wireless technology, Then Researchers, engineers, and marketers are faced with the challenge of accurately predicting how much technology consumers will actually be willing to pay for. Another challenge faced by 3G services is competition from other high-speed wireless technologies..........That's when the iPhone comes to play. If you put a 3g chip in an iPhone....omg.lol....That makes Steve more flexible on the Processor and features, more advanced apps :-D
    I hope he attaches a second cam in the front for vid.conference calls :-D
    I dont think you can run that on edge.lol

as far as the model, I love it. FLAWLESSSS... I hope he doesnt change it on the next one :-/

To conclude your Thread about us edge iphone users...
    Lets put it this way. what would you rather have?? The most advanced 3g
    moble device on the market......or an iPhone?.... ill take an iphone...