+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone wont charge

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So guys.. the other day my iPhone stopped charging. It was plugged in and the battery just kept going down. It got to the point where it had what seeme
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone wont charge
    So guys.. the other day my iPhone stopped charging. It was plugged in and the battery just kept going down. It got to the point where it had what seeme a very low level screen (a red battery and basic text which didnt look smooth like normal iphone text) that said something like "battery needs charging".
    I plug in the phone and it says "battery is charging" or something like that. but the phone continues to discharge. Now I dont get anything at all.

I figured it was the battery, so I purchased a new battery and installed it. It is still the same, seem like the battery is completly drained and it wont charge are do anything if its plugged in. I tried other chargers also.

What would be the next step? Does the logic board control the charging functions of the phone? Should I replace that?

also. I just tested both batteries. The old battery reads 0.0 volts. the new one is the same. I would figure it would come with a little charge in it.
    This is of course assuming the red lead from the battery is the + and the black is the -
    there is a white wire also which I assumed is the protection lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    So guys.. the other day my iPhone stopped charging. It was plugged in and the battery just kept going down. It got to the point where it had what seeme a very low level screen (a red battery and basic text which didnt look smooth like normal iphone text) that said something like "battery needs charging".
    I plug in the phone and it says "battery is charging" or something like that. but the phone continues to discharge. Now I dont get anything at all.

I figured it was the battery, so I purchased a new battery and installed it. It is still the same, seem like the battery is completly drained and it wont charge are do anything if its plugged in. I tried other chargers also.

What would be the next step? Does the logic board control the charging functions of the phone? Should I replace that?

also. I just tested both batteries. The old battery reads 0.0 volts. the new one is the same. I would figure it would come with a little charge in it.
    This is of course assuming the red lead from the battery is the + and the black is the -
    there is a white wire also which I assumed is the protection lead?
    Sooooo... nothin? no one has any ideas? I would hate to think this thig is completly dead in just a couple months
    Last edited by Shredder; 11-29-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

When charging your iPhone, it's a nice idea to turn all your un-needed daemons off (WiFi, SSH, AFP, Pxl, etc...) because even when charging, they're using the battery. Folks without the problems you mentioned, will also notice the batteries charge much faster when this is done.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the phone wont take a charge at all.. so I dont think thats the problem

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

the prob is your internal charging circuits are bad..needs a repair,,at apple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

You noticed this the other day... and you were able to get a new battery and installed it yourself so quickly ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    In order words, chuck it and get a new one.

Thanks

Don't we get a 1 year warranty on the iPhone ?

Yes.. you've done things that voided the warranty. Unless you volunteer this info, how are they gonna know with the battery being dead and not booting up.

I'd say take it to Apple, give it a shot. You may want to put back the OEM battery though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RC_OZ View Post

Yes.. you've done things that voided the warranty. Unless you volunteer this info, how are they gonna know with the battery being dead and not booting up.
    Yes, there's a one year warranty, if you have a valid Apple Partnered wireless contract to go along with the iPhone. Otherwise, no warranty.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

phone was never activated with AT&T, so there is no warranty on the phone at all.

You noticed this the other day... and you were able to get a new battery and installed it yourself so quickly ?
    yeah I ordered the battery, it came in a couple days, then I installed it last night.

I'd say take it to Apple, give it a shot. You may want to put back the OEM battery though.
    That was the first thing I tried, before I ordered the battery. The "genious" went thru the motions and said "yeah the phones dead" pulls out a new phone (price on the box said $249 btw) enters all the info, then goes, "wait, this phone was never activated thru AT&T, so there is no warranty, I cant replace your phone"

the question is.. are the charging circuits part of the logic board
    Last edited by Shredder; 11-29-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

- Why not go ahead and activate it with AT&T.
    - Return broken iPhone for a new one under warranty.
    - Once you have the new iPhone call AT&T and cancel. You have 3 days to cancel without termination fee.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

- Why not go ahead and activate it with AT&T.
    - Return broken iPhone for a new one under warranty.
    - Once you have the new iPhone call AT&T and cancel. You have 3 days to cancel without termination fee.
    how do you activate it when you cant turn it on at all?

Thanks

Good question, I dunno.
    Try calling AT&T and see if they can register/activate you using your iPhone serial number and IMEI number.
    How does Apple know ? if you're registered or not. Do they get it from iTunes ? I dunno.

Where did you get your battery from ?

have you tried to see if they might have the part you need ? whatever that is.

Tried here ?
    Last edited by RC_OZ; 11-29-2007 at 07:59 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good question, I dunno.
    Try calling AT&T and see if they can register/activate you using your iPhone serial number and IMEI number.
    How does Apple know ? if you're registered or not. Do they get it from iTunes ? I dunno.

Where did you get your battery from ?

have you tried to see if they might have the part you need ? whatever that is.

Tried here ?
    yeah, thats where I got the replacement battery from that I installed already.