Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any way to change iPhone's IMEI?

Default Any way to change iPhone's IMEI?
    Situation:
    My AT&T contract doesn't allow me to have an iPhone... Basically the difference between it and an iPhone contract is something like $35 a month, so I'm not in the mood to change.

I've been told AT&T might be able to see I'm using an iPhone by the IMEI... is there any way I can change the phone's IMEI? I have another phone that I am supposed to be using that I can get the IMEI for... I just am wondering if there is any way to change it.

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

...the imei# is the identification number for that phone~ ex..vin#for your car, serial number imprinted on weapons, vin#for watercraft, boats, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, etc....

to my knowledge, i do not believe you can change the imei # for your phone, but you could remove the sticker on the phone~

sorry.....

Well ofcourse you can change the imei. Look at all the bricks the apple denied warranty/exchanges because the imei's didn't match the cover and what the hardware said, after one of the unlock programs rewrote the IMEIs to something generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Oxygen View Post
    Well ofcourse you can change the imei. Look at all the bricks the apple denied warranty/exchanges because the imei's didn't match the cover and what the hardware said, after one of the unlock programs rewrote the IMEIs to something generic.
    Aha...

So I guess is there any way out there to change the IMEI to whatever you want rather than something generic?

In the states, changing the IMEI on any mobile phone is considered phreaking and a federal offense. This is due to the fact that when one changes the IMEI, unless it is to repair the IMEI of the iPhone, it is assuming an IMEI that is potentially in use. Therefore, my RAZR that I use on the side that has IMEI 1234 will pickup calls from my iPhone with IMEI 1234. See what I mean? Very illegal in the states.

Also, when people steal phones (if they are worth it) they change the IMEI, it makes it so the phone cannot be traced back to the one that was stolen.

I truly hope that you are wanting to 'repair' the IMEI...
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 11-28-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

what if u unlocked the phone then put ur AT&T sim in.....maybe that would work....BUT IM NOT SURE

Just a thought...

I dont think AT&T really cares what handset you are using. I'm assuming your on a corporate plan or something that is getting you a special rate and AT&T wont let you transfer that to an iPhone plan. The iPhone plans are just meant for a device that uses a lot of EDGE data.

Other than using iTunes for activation, I dont think AT&T would really give a rip what handset you have. If you buy and unlock an iPhone and stick your sim in it, I think you'll be fine... Hell, you might even get visual voicemail!

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    In the states, changing the IMEI on any mobile phone is considered phreaking and a federal offense. This is due to the fact that when one changes the IMEI, unless it is to repair the IMEI of the iPhone, it is assuming an IMEI that is potentially in use. Therefore, my RAZR that I use on the side that has IMEI 1234 will pickup calls from my iPhone with IMEI 1234. See what I mean? Very illegal in the states.

Also, when people steal phones (if they are worth it) they change the IMEI, it makes it so the phone cannot be traced back to the one that was stolen.

I truly hope that you are wanting to 'repair' the IMEI...
    Ah, I see why you're suspicious now. I'll be quite frank, I'm not trying to repair it. Basically I have a corporate plan and have a discount for it that the iPhone can't be used for.

I have a cheap Nokia that I bought to use with it. Basically my plan was to change the iPhone's IMEI to the Nokia then stash away the Nokia.

So what is the final answer here? Does ziphone actually change the IMEI? If the user above didn't changge the IMEI would ATT catch him and force him onto an iphone plan?

Thanks

Doesn't one of the unlocking tools (iPwnage, iDemocracy, iLiberty) have a change Imei field? It should be as simple as that: to "repair" it of course.

Yes it works great in ZiPhone. I've used it several times and I'm actually doing exactly what he was trying to do. I'm on an old AT&T Plan and didn't want AT&T to see that I'm using an iPhone, so I took my old Nokia 6820 that I was using originally with the plan, and changed the iPhone's IMEI to that of the Nokia... and ... Voila!! Now when I log into OLAM (Online Account Management) or call them up the Nokia 6820 is the phone that shows as being active!

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do if I ever get the iPhone 3G. It seems that the iPhone Dev Team isn't going to integrate this feature in their Pwnage 2.0 release. What to do??? I've been looking everywhere. I'm even thinking of learning how to code so I can try to manually change the IMEI on the Baseband file...

Yes it works great in ZiPhone. I've used it several times and I'm actually doing exactly what he was trying to do. I'm on an old AT&T Plan and didn't want AT&T to see that I'm using an iPhone, so I took my old Nokia 6820 that I was using originally with the plan, and changed the iPhone's IMEI to that of the Nokia... and ... Voila!! Now when I log into OLAM (Online Account Management) or call them up the Nokia 6820 is the phone that shows as being active!

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do if I ever get the iPhone 3G. It seems that the iPhone Dev Team isn't going to integrate this feature in their Pwnage 2.0 release. What to do??? I've been looking everywhere. I'm even thinking of learning how to code so I can try to manually change the IMEI on the Baseband file...

I got the same problem, can somebody tell how to change the imei in the new firmware 2.0?

if there is a way for 2.0 please post it

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

No way for 2.0 yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

apparently not....????

Nothing yet .... How bad !!
    In the absence of light, darkness prevails

i honestly think apple have managed to sew this up permanently with their newer firmwares and hardware i dont think you will be seeing to change them imei numbers now

That sucks I was planning on doing the same with a really inexpensive plan.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Hi Rex, Can you tell me how to do it ?? I'll appreciate ur help very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast