+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: camera crash photos crash help! restore doesn't fix

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My camera and photos crash whenever i try to open them. I can use the camera for address book but thats it. I was running jailbroken 1.1.2, then i installed
    iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Camera.app crash, restore doesn't fix
    My camera and photos crash whenever i try to open them. I can use the camera for address book but thats it. I was running jailbroken 1.1.2, then i installed something off installer that kept the phone from booting. Then camera doesn't work on 1.1.1, jailbroken 1.1.1, stock 1.1.2, jailbroken, 1.1.2

Just did a itunes restore to factory 1.1.2, no mods at all, not even oktoprep.....what could still be making the camera crash. It seems to be firmware independant problem?

Could it be a clash between the basebands from restoring 1.1.2 down to 1.1.1? This phone has never been unlocked, but could virginizing bring back my camera?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon???

Thought I would post the solution....in case anybody else runs into this.
    After restore i clicked set up as new iphone instead of my backup.....i lost all my settings but my camera came back
    Last edited by scottvalentine; 11-28-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Invalid or corrupt mobileslideshow.plist, inability to write to MEDIA/DCIM, have you also checked the permissions?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

scottvalentine (11-28-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone bchilton9's Avatar
    Thanks

try takeing folders of pictures off when you sync

I had something similar happen and I ended up haveing a bad file in the image folder on my harddrive

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bchilton9 For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

deliting all pics from DCIM folder helped me to solv this sittuation few days ago

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shoe For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

most likely the issue is you transfered photos from ur phone to your computer and than tried to put the photos back onto your phone, for somereason, the photos get corrupted that way, I have some amazing pictures i took with my phone and i cant even have them on my phone kinda sucks. but just take those pics off and you should be good

9. The Following User Says Thank You to icedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Eurisko
    Is that mobileslideshow.plist something thats backed up in the CUsers\Valentines\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ folder, like if i was to figure out which .mdbackup file it was and delete it so the phone would rebuild it? just in case this happens again

also to the other guys i didn't have any pics in the folder at all, and this problem survived 4 restores, till i told itunes to set it up as a new phone

Thanks

No, plists (preference files) aren't backed up during an iTunes sync, only notes, SMS messages, call history... things like that.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

i havent seen anyone talk about this, but it now appears pictures are backed up as well, if you navigate to your mobil sync folder and check out the files larger than 300k they say bplist00TPathWVersionTDataXGreylist_ Media/DCIM/100APPLE/IMG_0013.JPGS1.0O
    which is a different behavior than 1.0.2......i know because i lost my camera roll on 1.0.2, but it was restored when i had a crash on 1.1.1

btw the mobilebackup folder has 135 items in it -32 pictures equals 102 files.....theres way more than just sms and notes being backed up.....custom dictionary, wifi hotspots, web history......there has to be something in that folder that made my photos and camera stop working, because the glitch survived 4 restores....and each time i restored the backup of my iphone, the final time i just click set up as new iphone and it fixed the camera crash. just hard to tell b/c most of the files are straight gibberish when you open them in wordpad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    deliting all pics from DCIM folder helped me to solv this sittuation few days ago

I had a similar problem with the camera, photos and settings crashing when opened. I found 1 .jpg and 7 .thm files in Media/DCIM/100APPLE/ and deleted them. All is well now, thanks for the tips in this post.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to onefast1 For This Useful Post:

Raghav2384 (04-11-2008)

What's Jailbreak? morbid_theory's Avatar
    Thanks
    cheers for that, removing everything in 100apple worked for me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onefast1 View Post
    I had a similar problem with the camera, photos and settings crashing when opened. I found 1 .jpg and 7 .thm files in Media/DCIM/100APPLE/ and deleted them. All is well now, thanks for the tips in this post.
    Yep, worked for me too. Thanks! Amazing what one little corrupt file in the wrong place will do!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked for me too on Firmware 2.0.1! Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

how do i get to this location where do i go thru itune or what

Thanks

^^^^you need to ssh into your phone or use a program called iphonebrowser to get into the root files of your phone.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok so i did download the iphonebrowser and looked to see if there was any thing in there and there wasnt. man this really sux cuz i ive unlocked with iliberty and it didnt work then and now with winpwn the camera still wont work so any one else have any suggestions. i would love to get this fix

ok so im guessing no one else has this problem. or any other way to fix this
    Last edited by monkenutz; 12-02-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost