Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recover data from iPhone in eternal self-reboot

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Unhappy Recover data from iPhone in eternal self-reboot
    Hi,

So I was installing some themes on a 1.1.1 OOB upgraded to 1.1.2 when the phone just stopped responding to my taps, and restarted by itself.

Now it looks like something is eating 100% of it's CPU, as it's extremely slow.

It does recognize the volume buttons - eventually, and at about 30 seconds after I've pressed it.
    My PC doesn't recognize it as an attached device. It doesn't even charge off the USB port - it has to be plugged into the wall adapter to charge.

Now, I've been at this state before - at the occasion I just booted the iPhone into recovery mode (or DFU, don't remember which one I've used) and performed a restore.

This time, I've spent the weekend taking a lot of pictures which I really didn't want to loose.

Is there any way to retrieve the pictures off the phone? Since the phone is not being recognized - only when it's in recovery and/or dfu mode - can I copy these files off the phone while in recovery mode?

Even if it's going to get down to building a serial cable and having the phone skip all GUI stuff and just boot into CLI mode with networking - that would do it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Add by the way - a bonus question - how do you backup your phone (all installed apps, customizations, and things you spend 2 or 3 days re-arranging after a restore) ?

Cheers,

Nutz
    Last edited by nutz; 11-25-2007 at 09:52 PM.

What you could try (check my advice before doing) is to reboot into restore mode, run ibrickr, do the downgrade in ibrickr (but not actually doing the restore part in iTunes when it asks), it will then turn your screen red and restart the phone properly - a long shot I know, but an idea.

Sorry I do not know any more.