+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Repaired for Free - Heres how!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
You know I was ONCE afraid that my iPhone would break and then I would have to pay an enormous amount of money to fix it... Today I was plugging
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Talking Repaired for Free - Heres how!
    You know I was ONCE afraid that my iPhone would break and then I would have to pay an enormous amount of money to fix it...

Today I was plugging in my headphones when all of a sudden the iphone slipped out of my hand, not thinking anything of it, I just checked for scratches. But when i got to the ipod part i turned it to landscape and it didn't show album art... I then went to safari, and went to a random page.... after discovering that the sensor for the landscape doesn't work anymore...

What I Did.
    1. Called cm Service....
    2. Said that after the update my phone doesn't seem to go to landscape anymore...
    3. Then went through some steps to try to troubleshoot it... (didn't help, I had already tried)
    4. They said that they would send me out a box to have it fixed at no charge...

There you go.. An easy way to get free fixes...

BTW.. They offered me the 29 dollar rent-a-iphone... I said no.. just going to plug sim into old phone... and walla!
    Hopes this helps someone with the related issue./.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So let me get this straight... you just publicly admitted to fraud? Thanks. Folks like you make the cost of Apple Care and phone insurance cost the rest of us more money. Suck it up man, it was your fault, pay to get it fixed.

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea!!!...
    mod edit, old signature removed

My iPhone is a Part of Me JakeyBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

lol... idk what to think...
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Old School Gaming Matrix
    Deviant Art
    "Don't think you can, know you can"

iPhoned Home
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skivvie View Post
    So let me get this straight... you just publicly admitted to fraud? Thanks. Folks like you make the cost of Apple Care and phone insurance cost the rest of us more money. Suck it up man, it was your fault, pay to get it fixed.
    Yeah you talk that crap till your phone breaks , then lets see you suck up 600 bucks pal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d View Post
    Yeah you talk that crap till your phone breaks , then lets see you suck up 600 bucks pal.
    he would probably be smart enough to not admit it publicly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    My speaker blew yesterday. I told Apple cs that it sounded like it was blown, they tried to troubleshoot, then set up an appt at the nearest apple store to get a new one. sure it was my fault i blew the speker, i guess... but i shouldnt be able to

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinrunge View Post
    My speaker blew yesterday. I told Apple cs that it sounded like it was blown, they tried to troubleshoot, then set up an appt at the nearest apple store to get a new one. sure it was my fault i blew the speker, i guess... but i shouldnt be able to
    Agreed that you shouldn't be able to blow the speaker, that's obviously a defect and should be covered under warranty. But you can't apply that logic to the first poster... should he not be able to DROP IT?

Quote Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d View Post
    I wouldn't have to, I have a rider on my insurance policy that covers it. If you drive your car into a light pole because you fall asleep at the wheel, do you go back to the dealer and tell them it's defective? Are you saying it's totally morally okay to drop your phone, break it, and get Apple to pay for the damage? How exactly is that okay? It's not even legal.

I brought my phone in for repair yesterday because there is a speck of dust under the screen.... not a dead pixel, a big ol' speck of dust. The "genius" took one look, and put it in for service and gave me a loaner for free. Manufacturing defect, not my fault, should be covered. If I'd have taken the thing apart, blown dust in it, and put it back together, It would absolutely not be okay to get them to repair it on their dime for my own stupid mistake. Get it?
    Last edited by skivvie; 08-07-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Enh. I dunno. If you had dropped your phone in water, thats one thing. Or dropped it off a roof. But these are $600 phones, designed to withstand typical wear and tear. A fall 3 feet onto carpet, hard wood, or pavement, is part of that normal wear and tear. If I drop my phone (which I have before on other phones), and it starts acting all funky, I am completely within my rights to call them up and say, hey, this thing is messed up, fix it.

My two cents.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Its easy to say just suck it up and pay to have it fixed. I think i would have said it stopped working. Im not lying and if they asked me if i dropped it, i would have said not severely enough to damage it, and see what they would have suggested after that.
    ROBERT

The only reason Apple sells "Applecare," is to generate more revenue for the company and thats the bottom line. How many claims are generated to Applecare? Not near the many policies they have sold. How much does it cost Apple to make an Iphone? You tell me who is winning? I would expect Apple to cover any normal wear and tear. If half the phone works and features are not performing, absolutely Apple should fix the phone at no cost to the consumer.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    How much does it cost Apple to make an Iphone? You tell me who is winning?
    Well since you asked

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you tell them what you did to make the phone break, and they accept it as being normal wear and tear, then by all means go for it. But to say the phone just stopped working, that it was a factory defect, when in actuality it was your fault that it doesn't work any more just flat out ain't right.

Lets say you are driving your car and you hit a light pole or something, only enough to make a small dent in your bumper. If you called your insurance company and told them that it was another car that did it, that would be fraud. Do you guys see the link? Just because it's a cheaper device doesn't change the philosophy of it all.

And charts like that, while factual, are incredibly misleading about the cost of a device. It doesn't factor in paying the millions in dev costs: Salaries, tooling, engineering costs etc. Not saying Apple isn't making money hand over foot, but to act like they are stealing something from you by charging so much isn't genuine. They are in the business of making money. If you don't want it don't buy it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

skivvie for president! enough said