Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: at&t sim in another person's iphone?????

Default at&t sim in another person's iphone?????
    i've got kind of a weird question. my stepdad is a at&t customer with just some old v551 motorola phone. he was given yes given an iphone by a lady he works with who took it from her son after he proved he couldn't stay out of trouble in school with it. my stepdad wants to use the iphone but putting his SIM card in just makes the phone say something like, invalid SIM connect to itunes to register. now the question........if he just connects it to itunes and goes through the regular registration, will it work? also, i think the "kid" bought it on his own AT&T account (with money from his parents) and since his mom pretty much took it from him, what if the kid reported it stolen? will connecting it to itunes still allow my stepdad to use it? thanks for any info you've got on this weird situation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if it gets reported stolen then the phone(if like other phones) will brick and become inoperable. you will have to unlock it or use an att sim card in it. See if you can find out what firmware it is by looking at settings-general-about and look at the version.

Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    if it gets reported stolen then the phone(if like other phones) will brick and become inoperable. you will have to unlock it or use an att sim card in it. See if you can find out what firmware it is by looking at settings-general-about and look at the version.
    i checked the firmware the other day when i was over there and it said "1.0(1a543a) do i need to jailbreak and unlock it or can he just put his 3G at&t card in and then register it with itunes?