+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Got Some Water Damage @ Six Flags...help anyone?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alright well I was on a ride with my phone buried deep in my pocket and in an inCase phone case where I thought it was safe...but I got a
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Got Some Water Damage @ Six Flags...help anyone?
    Alright well I was on a ride with my phone buried deep in my pocket and in an inCase phone case where I thought it was safe...but I got a little water splashed on me and I mean a LITTLE and low and behold I took my phone out after the ride and it's slightly water damaged.

The damage is as follows, everything runs normal, screen looks normal, the issue is that a portion of the touch screen is unresponsive. Let's say on the home screen where you see the iTunes logo (4th Row from the top), that row across horozontally cannot be touched. Meaning any letters on my keyboard that fall into that portion of the screen cannot be touched, nothing can be touched in this section of the screen. It ranges all the way across horizontally and lets say an icon thick vertically. It is a huge inconvienience and is there anything I can do to fix this issue? I know a restore won't work, but is there some hardware stuff I have to do or am I just out of luck here?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can remember when i used to have water damage on my phones, and they used to stop working or was working partially.
    But the only thing i ever did which always worked was putting it in a warm place to let the water dry off.

Put a towel on top of a radiator and then put your iphone on that for a while and see if that helps.

Thanks

Check in the headset with a flashlight, it the indicator white or red? If its red your warranty is gone, but if its white you can bring it to the Apple Store. If its red though there are ways to fix it up to look white

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did the flashlight check, it is white on the inside...if I brought it to the Apple Store what would I have to say?

Anyone?
    Last edited by almawatches; 05-28-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Make you do a full restore and just say that you powered on one day, it flicked off, powered on again, and the screen was just unresponsive. Make up your own story, they'll take almost anything slightly logical.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright, just want to confirm before I go into an Apple Store...when it's dark in my room and I power on the screen and look through the jack it's a pinkish red, but in daylight or once I shine a flashlight in there it's all white. I figure it'll be well lit in there anyway so I shouldn't have a problem. Do I have to schedule an appointment or do I just waltz right into an apple store and walk up to someone and just tell them my phone's going nuts and they give me a new one? I will be doing a full restore and removing my sim since it's unlocked and I use T-Mobile...

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

it has to be activated on the network that offers the phone. well atleast in US(att) and id make sure your dot is not pink for sure b4 going. if its pink.. there was a huge thread on how to make it white..SEARCH
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Green Apple
    Thanks

No I saw those threads, this is definitely white. No modification needed here lol...it appears pink when it's dark i suppose from the screen ambiance but once I throw the flashlight on it or get it in the daylight again it's pure white no doubt about it. So if I restore my phone back to factory settings, etc, can I bring it on in and give it in for a new one or am I screwed since I'm not an AT&T Customer?

Sorry to be a pest and I appreciate all the help I just want to make sure what I'm doing before I go into the store and look like a fool..

I hate to keep bumping this topic but I know someone else could throw me some info, I've tried searching and all that but with no luck. Do I call? Do I take my phone to the Apple Store? If I restore to default settings (since im running t-mobile unlocked) and bring it in will there be an issue? Can they still give me a new iphone even though the iPhone 2 is due out so soon?
    Last edited by almawatches; 05-29-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

na tell them u havnt activated yet also check this, this may shed some light The most common iPhone misconception: No activation=no warranty | The-iBlog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to screamforme02 For This Useful Post:

almawatches (05-29-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

THANKS to you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Still awaiting some more info...guys do I just walk in and go up to a worker or do I call up and schedule something? I will restore to default unactivated prior...will I still be able to exchange for a new or refurbished iphone?

Thanks

just bring it back and say its broken and then give them a bunch of shiz why u didnt activate. as long as they cant prove it was ur fault and or that you jailbroke it, thell just give you a new one

Green Apple
    Thanks

Alright, thanks again for the help. I suppose ill go in there tomorrow and see what I can do...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Make sure you let us know how that went man. I really want to know =D.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm curious as to why you'd take an expensive phone to a themepark, one rollercoaster ride and it wud be out of your pocket in one loop. I'm going to a music festival soon and I'm gonna take an old phone because I know I'm going to get bashed about in the moshpit. No way I'm taking a 300+ phone with me.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    I'm curious as to why you'd take an expensive phone to a themepark, one rollercoaster ride and it wud be out of your pocket in one loop. I'm going to a music festival soon and I'm gonna take an old phone because I know I'm going to get bashed about in the moshpit. No way I'm taking a 300+ phone with me.
    hey look at me, i state the obvious... i bet he learned his lesson. Were suppose to help not criticize... well maybe a little while you are helping

Green Apple
    Thanks

For the record, ride wasn't a rollercoaster. Twas the "Congo Rapids" Tube ride. Now I know that doesn't make it much better but there's nothing I can do about all that now can I? I have learned me lesson but was looking for a little guidance as to how I would go about exchanging my phone. I am heading in to the Apple Store in NYC 5th Avenue tomorrow, I'm going in there with the phone I don't know if I should be bringing the box or what along but I guess I'll just wing it. I know it must be annoying to see this thread continuously being bumped but I don't wanna go in there looking like even more of a jackass than I already feel like I am. Thanks again, SF02, although I still have some uncertainties I'm going to try my best in there tomorrow...

I will be restoring to default, unactivated firmware 1.1.4 with a pretty decent BS story. Now I don't know if they will just hand me a new one or check mine rigorously or what but I guess I'm in for a surprise...
    Last edited by almawatches; 06-04-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

they will prob just give you one, wht do they car they send them some where get them fixed than back out to public

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't mean any offense by it but I do hope you get a new one.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's no biggie. I'm going to keep the forum posted on the results, will be back home tonight around 6:30PM EST to give the results.