+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Troubles iPhone Has brought me

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I recently became unemployeed because I own an iPhone. I bought an iPhone and unlocked it so I could use it on T-Mobile's network.... the company i used to work
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default The Troubles iPhone Has brought me
    I recently became unemployeed because I own an iPhone. I bought an iPhone and unlocked it so I could use it on T-Mobile's network.... the company i used to work for. Its not like i flashed my phone around to customers, as a matter of fact i kept it hidden from customers.... but when my market manager found out i had it, well i was a deadman walking until he could find a reason to fire me. insubordination was the official reason i got fired.... Anyone else have bad fortunes brought on by their iPhone? Even after all this i still love my iPhone!

Thanks

So, do people also get fired for not being on T-Mobile?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ford092 View Post
    I recently became unemployeed because I own an iPhone. I bought an iPhone and unlocked it so I could use it on T-Mobile's network.... the company i used to work for. Its not like i flashed my phone around to customers, as a matter of fact i kept it hidden from customers.... but when my market manager found out i had it, well i was a deadman walking until he could find a reason to fire me. insubordination was the official reason i got fired.... Anyone else have bad fortunes brought on by their iPhone? Even after all this i still love my iPhone!
    Weird. I know quite a few people who work for T-Mobile, and have lots of "unofficial" GSM phones.

Sure you weren't just being insubordinate?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

I'm sure there's something we're not being told

Thanks

Yeah, I don't think you are telling us the whole story.....Hmm.... First, it is against employment laws, (labor board) to retaliate against someone for using anything different than what the company sells, whether it be cars, cellphones, cable, etc.... They could be sued BIGTIME for that.
    Second, t-mobile, is supporting the iphone, so long as you have service with them, and I know that for a fact, because I have an unlocked iphone using my t-mobile card. Had a few problems, called them like 3 times, and they all have been really helpful, and told me they don't care what phone you use, as long as you have service with them. If you think you have a legitimate claim, and were fired over what you say, then that is wrongful termination, go after them, and you will be sitting nice! Of course, if what you are saying is true, and can prove it!! Good luck!
    Stay Sexy, Sweet, and Wonderful!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Insubordination was because I brought the iPhone on the premises of the store after being told not to bring it to work. But who is going to leave a 400$ phone in their car when temperatures are dropping.... and what if someone needed to reach me? If T-Mobile doesnt have a corporate policy against using unlocked gsm phones... then maybe i do have a case..... except i did sign a clause that said I am for at will hire......

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dont know how much of a case you have but I have heard of companies firing you for working with the competitor. It is called collusion or conflict of interest. Its more common for fast food work where you could potentially get hired by two fast food companies without telling the other you are already working. They could consider it conflict of interest if you are using a competitor product while working with T-Mobile.

This could also explain why people who said that employees of T-Mobile were using unlocked GSM phones because as long as they are models that don't appear on other competitor's product line, they might not have an issue with that.
    Last edited by danman227460; 11-19-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

dude thats ****** you should of told off that *** who fired you.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

Ooooh! They had already told you not to bring it??? Well, yeah, they got the upper hand on that. Yeah, you don't wanna leave it in the car, is probably why you should've left it at home, since they had already warned you.
    You're right as far as them letting you guys use unlocked phones or whatever, cuz like I said before, they can't get you for that, unless you did in fact sign something that told you otherwise?? Think you said you did?? As far as the at will policy, a company STILL has to have a good reason to fire you, they can't just because they feel like it, or the other employees don't like you??? Believe me, I KNOW about the whole at will thing. Of course it differs in different states. Now, if you know of other employees who were in fact using other cellphones at that time also, then you have a clear case of discrimination. If they fired you for bringing it, but everone else was allowed to, then YOU got them!! Lots more legality in all of it, but, just a little insight. Good Luck!!
    Stay Sexy, Sweet, and Wonderful!

Thanks

Insubordination was because I brought the iPhone on the premises of the store after being told not to bring it to work. But who is going to leave a 400$ phone in their car when temperatures are dropping.... and what if someone needed to reach me? If T-Mobile doesnt have a corporate policy against using unlocked gsm phones... then maybe i do have a case..... except i did sign a clause that said I am for at will hire......
    Why not tell us that in the first place then?

Thanks
    That sounds to me as unfair dismissal, forget what someone said to you, check your contract and seek legal advice, it would be like someone driving ot work in a BMW when they work for Mercedes, does everyone who works for Porche drive a porche, i would like to belive it but im sure that isnt the case

Thanks

The only feedback I get from my Rogers cohorts is "when are we getting it??". That's wrongful dismissal man, and you should take it to the labor board, it the states has such a thing.

redick. That's like saying you can't come into the office wearing a red shirt. They can't tell you what you can and can't carry on your person.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 11-20-2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

of course if there is an employee dress code that says you cant wear a red shirt then you can't wear a red shirt

Thanks

Given. But I don't think T-Mobile has a policy of employees only being allowed to carry T-Mobile phones. Sounds a little Third Reich to me.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

good point, t-mobile isn't controlled by apple after all

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My son works at RIM.

He was one of the first guys sporting an iPhone at work...everyone (including his manager) gathered around to gawk at his device.

Intelligent questions were asked as to why he chose the iPhone over the Blackberry..and that was the end of it.

Perhaps its not the most engraciating way to embed yourself with your company, who, after all hope that you would embrace the object that they are selling...but such is life.

Thanks

I work as a server part time during my internship. The only drawback I find is it is so easy to text, I can't keep my phone away. Haha

Reako

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my marketing manager at tmobile used my iphone and she thought it was cute.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well considering I was there, and the person who convinced ford to get an iPhone, he was definitely let go over nothing. We have had a "temporary" manager who has been out to get us since the day she came to our store. I still have an iPhone and my job, but they went from "Oh, cool phone!" to "You are violating the values and are insubordinate". I lost a great coworker in a store that was already understaffed. DAMN YOU CORPORATE MACHINE!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

a little dramaticism, the big company's police somtimes is too stricts but as an employee, we should obey for no other choice!