+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dropped iPhone, now Dock area non-responsive!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Argh! I accidentally dropped my iPhone from my desktop, 1.5 feet to the wooden floor. Now the area just above the Home button is completely unresponsive to touch! I ran
    Thanks

Default Dropped iPhone, now Dock area non-responsive!
    Argh! I accidentally dropped my iPhone from my desktop, 1.5 feet to the wooden floor. Now the area just above the Home button is completely unresponsive to touch!

I ran Calculator and below 1, 2, 3, and - are 0, ., C and =. If I tap 0, 1 responds; if I tap ., 2 responds and if I tap C, 3 responds and if I tap =, - responds. It's always the key above that responds.

Am I screwed? I don't think restoring would do anything because it sems to be a hardware problem now. I have also tried swapping the iPod icon with something I don't usually use, like FieldTest, and yes, iPod once relocated is accessible again. But this just sucks!

Any thoughts?
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

bummer To the apple store you go."for a new one"

Thanks

I know...but I'm in Australia and bought this on eBay! I just contacted my eBay seller. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can help me get a replacement from Apple.
    Last edited by truenorth; 11-16-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Sydney, Australia

Green Apple
    Thanks

Remove all icons from the dock. You don't have to have any there. Just edit the /System/Library/CoreApplications/Springboard.app/M68AP.plist file. Copy everything out of the dock and move it down. Then, switch your summerboard to not show the last row. Everything won't be fine, but at least it will work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pcguysam For This Useful Post:

truenorth (11-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcguysam View Post
    Remove all icons from the dock. You don't have to have any there. Just edit the /System/Library/CoreApplications/Springboard.app/M68AP.plist file. Copy everything out of the dock and move it down. Then, switch your summerboard to not show the last row. Everything won't be fine, but at least it will work.
    Nice one

Thanks

Thanks, pcguysam! That is indeed a great workaround. I edited that plist and all icons are out of the dock (thanks given).

But here's the problem: I do not have Summerboard installed yet and in Installer, I cannot tap on the bottom row to select Install, because of the very same problem. Is there any other way I can deactivate the last row outside of Summerboard?

Also, if I succeed in moving everything out of the dock and not showing the last row, in many "programs", that bottom area is still not accessible. For instance, when composing SMS, I cannot tap on the bottom row buttons ".?123", Spacebar, and Return.

Just remembered: a friend was generous enough to give me a Belkin screen protector which we installed last night, before this accident happened. We cleaned the screen first with a wet wipe that came with the Belkin pack then applied the protector. Could this wet wipe or protector have something to do with the problem?

Also, I noticed last night that Calendar - which I have permanently on the dock - looked dimmed or greyed out, even though I was still able to access it. Then later it went back to normal, no longer dimmed. But I'm not sure if this happened before or after we put on the protector. It was also a hot 29-degree C (84-degree F) day. Sorry for the information overload; I just wanna provide all info in case someone out there can shed light on my situation.
    Last edited by truenorth; 11-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    Sydney, Australia