+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Eliminating duplicate contacts

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
It appears that, every time my iPhone syncs, it adds all my contacts without looking to see if they are already there. As a result, I have accumulated at least
    Thanks

Default Eliminating duplicate contacts
    It appears that, every time my iPhone syncs, it adds all my contacts without looking to see if they are already there. As a result, I have accumulated at least a half dozen of just about all contacts in my database.

What's the best way to eliminate the dupes and keep this from happening any more? Doing it one-by-one is much too much trouble. I've got at least 1,000 numbers in there.

Is the best way to delete them all and start over? How would I do that?
    Ellis_T

Thanks

Next time you sync, in iTunes go to the Info tab and scroll to the bottom. You'll see under "Advanced" a set of options under the heading "Replace information on this iPhone". Check the Contacts box and re-sync. This will overwrite all of your contacts with whats on your computer, and then save this info so the subsequent sync's will work correctly.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

etraub (11-16-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone duplicates fix
    I just got my first iPhone, got the duplicate contact and calendar problem, and got it fixed.

I had migrated my contacts to MobileMe first. Then when I was in iTunes on the Info tab I checked the Calendar and Contacts buttons. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But nope. That's how to make the dupes. Uncheck those two boxes in iTunes. The data will still get synced via MobileMe.

To eliminate the existing dupes go to Settings on the iPhone, then Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, then the Mobile Me account-it should be the top one. Turn off Contacts and Calendars. It'll ask if you want to delete then. Say "Yes" and the dupes will be gone.

At this point you can resync. Then turn the Contacts and Calendars back on and say "Yes" to merge, and it will sync without the dupes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kurt0 For This Useful Post:

pocketdoc (12-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awesome !! This fixed my issue. Thanks!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Another Solution
    None of the above worked for me... this was my issue: macosxhints.com - About duplicate contacts and calendars on iPhone 3.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Unchecked Sync address book in iTunes
    I first cleaned up my address book on the Mac. Since my Mac was set up to synch with mobile me this also cleaned up my mobile me contacts. At this point my iphone still had duplicate contacts. I went into iTunes under the info tab and unchecked "Sync Address Book Contacts". This did it the duplicate entries on my iPhone disappeared. Since both my Mac and iPhone are set up to sync contacts with mobile me there is no need for them to sync with each other through iTunes sync.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Next time you sync, in iTunes go to the Info tab and scroll to the bottom. You'll see under "Advanced" a set of options under the heading "Replace information on this iPhone". Check the Contacts box and re-sync. This will overwrite all of your contacts with whats on your computer, and then save this info so the subsequent sync's will work correctly.
    Great tip!!!! Thank you. But what if my main input source of contact is my iphone? If I follow these instructions would it not override all my new info in my iphone? Thank you -- Marcelo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I very often find duplicate contacts. I have long wondered how to solve this problem, and Scrubly Duplicate Remover came to my aid. This really works well for me. This tool is really useful and indeed an effective one. Just give it try.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

it's a great app

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes it is..I've tried and tested that one..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I think PhoneBook CleanMaster solves the problem
    I highly recommend PhoneBook CleanMaster. Extremely simple to use, and the batch process has been excellent. I have never seen any app make something so complicated such as merging and deleting contacts so simple and straightforward. Check it out! It gives you the option to review the detailed information before deleting or merging. Other App all seems to work but a little clumsy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This morning I have bought 3 Duplicate cleanup apps, I was waiting for one of them to do something when I read this post, I just bought phonebook cleanup and it worked instantly.

Thanks Mate

Quote Originally Posted by acliff View Post
    I highly recommend PhoneBook CleanMaster. Extremely simple to use, and the batch process has been excellent. I have never seen any app make something so complicated such as merging and deleting contacts so simple and straightforward. Check it out! It gives you the option to review the detailed information before deleting or merging. Other App all seems to work but a little clumsy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Login to your iCloud account online, click "contacts". From there I just held down the shift key and selected the ones that were in a row that I wanted to delete, then hit the delete key to delete contacts on iPhone.
    This is the fastest way I have found.
    or in other way, if you have them syncing with another source (gmail, windows contacts, Yahoo, etc.) then in iTunes, select your iPhone under devices (left side), go to Info (top), deselect "Sync contacts with".

When you do this, it will ask you to remove your contacts or not. Click on "Remove Contacts", and then Apply (botton right) on iPhone Data Eraser.

If you don't have your contacts sync'd, then you can either setup a temporary sync to what service you have access to and then do the above, or do them one at a time.
    Last edited by millysili; 01-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to millysili For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (12-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,527 Times in 5,846 Posts

^ great advise and welcome to the forum. You did good in searching for this thread, as it is quite old. Almost 2 years since the last post was made.