Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone in recovery mode loop - need to extract data

Default iphone in recovery mode loop - need to extract data
    Hello Everyone,

Till now all the problems i have faced were already solved by someone, but this here is a something totally new.

Soo i have spent the last week searching all the forums but no answer.

here is the issue, one fine day my pdfpreview app starts crashing and i restart my iphone only to find it put in recovery mode. I have an 8 gb iphone with 1.1.4 unlocked by ijailbreak.

so i tried all the conventional steps to kick out of recovery mode. here is a list

using iNdependance - it shows the message waiting for iphone endlessly
    using ibrickr - the screen goes red, the phone restarts and comes back to the recovery mode.
    using Ziphone - the screen goes navy blue - the phone restarts, ziphone says process successful but the phone comes back to recovery mode.
    using iLiberty+ - the phone restarts and comes back to recovery mode.
    using iphuc on mac - giving the commands "cmd setenv auto-boot true", "cmd saveenv" , "cmd fsboot", i always get the error "Segmentation Fault"

I got the idea that this mess might be because i have upgraded itunes to 7.6 but i downgraded to 7.4.2 on windows and still nothing works. Although i just uninstalled and reinstalled the itunes, im not sure if that really downgrades it on windows.

Why im not going for a simpler solution like, *A RESTORE* is that just before this happened i was on vacation and took around 300 pictures which i want to keep.

So, calling all iphone geniuses! help me out guys, what to do to kick out of the recovery mode.

Well, seems like you can't get it out of recovery mode using conventional ways up to this point. Download iDemocracy and see if it recognizes the phone. If it does, you can try getting it out of recovery mode from that, and it also has a feature that allows you to browse the files within the iphone, so you can extract the pictures.

HI,

I'm also having the same issue..more or less. The thing is I got into this mess also restoring. Now i'm stuck with the steve logo and the pineapple.

And i also tried restoring in DFU and all the applications including iDemocracy. Thing is that when i run iLiberty in Windows (the only app that seems to have any effect on my iPhone) i get an error like unknown error and something about HFS partition error.

Also when restoring i get a continuous error 6. Also important to be mentioned i tried on 3 different computers and 8 different USB ports with two cables.

also here is a paste from ibooter:

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) 0x43303033
    [NAND] Device ID 0xa585d598
    [NAND] BANKS_TOTAL 4
    [NAND] BLOCKS_PER_BANK 8320
    [NAND] SUBLKS_TOTAL 8320
    [NAND] USER_SUBLKS_TOTAL 7744
    [NAND] PAGES_PER_SUBLK 512
    [NAND] PAGES_PER_BANK 1064960
    [NAND] SECTORS_PER_PAGE 4
    [NAND] BYTES_PER_SPARE 64
    [FTL:MSG] FIL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] VFL_Open [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FTL_Open [OK]
    Boot Failure Count: 8 Panic Fail Count: 0
    Ignoring image with mismatching security epoch
    USBMPInit()
    Endpoint direction info:
    EP0: BIDIR
    EP1: BIDIR
    EP2: BIDIR
    EP3: BIDIR
    EP4: BIDIR
    EP5: BIDIR
    usbfc_menu_init()
    Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt

also...memory display returns only 0.

Can anyone please help.
    Last edited by doroftei; 05-13-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Default iPhone in recovery-mode loop - need to extract data
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my 1.1.4 iPhone. After many hours searching, i am still not able to access the data. It seems the filesystem /dev/rdisk0s2 is corrupted and cannot be fixed by fsck.

With help of iBooter i could boot into single user mode.
    (boot-args -s -v). Than the phone just sits and waits on the '#'-root prompt.
    I did not find a way to access it.

With the boot-args set to -v and help of a photo camera i managed to find out where it is stuck.

Mac Address: 00:1c:b3xxx
    Invalid node structure (4, 883)
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
    THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (/private/var)
    ** /dev/rdisk0s1
    ** Root file system
    ** Checking HFS Plus volume.
    ** Detecting a case-sensitive catalog.
    ** Checking Extents Overflow file.
    ** Checking Catalog file.
    ** Checking multi-linked files.
    ** Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    ** Checking External Attributes file.
    ** Checking volume bitmap.
    ** Checking volume information.
    ** The volume information LittleBear4A102.UserBundle appears to be Ok.
    ** /dev/rdisk0s2
    ** Detecting a case-sensitive catalog.
    ** Checking Extents Overflow file.
    ** Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid node structure (4,883)
    ** Volume check failed.
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
    fsck failed! Leaving the root file system read-only...
    Dec 21 16:00:54 launchd[1]: mkdir(~/var/tmp/launchd~): No such file or directory
    /dev/disk0s1 on / (hfs, local, noatime)
    mount_hfs: Invalid argument
    Bug: launchctl.c:1288 (1.88):2: fwexec(mount_tool, true != -1

The main problem seems to be a corrupted filesystem (Invalid node structure), and mounting root read-only. fsck seems not able to get rid of the problem.

Some of the things i tried
    - iDemocracy: will not see the iPhone (when in Recovery Mode)
    - iBooter: Can boot to single User mode (-s), normally stays in recovery-mode loop.
    - iPHUC: does not seem to have the right commands..
    (First it gets into iPHUC-Recovery mode, and when at the single-user prompt, it just waits for the iPhone)
    - DiskAid: cannot access the iPhone
    - iRecovery: cannot get it to run win Win32 (the Win32 version)
    - iLiberty+: cannot get it out of the Recovery mode: reboots (shows the above messages when boot-args=-v) and puts it in Recovery again.
    Message: "Device is currently in in recovery mode, so payloads cannot be uploaded at this time" (

So the problem with iLiberty+ (and iPlus2) seems that: the screen on the iPhone reports running the script and then stops with:
    "singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root device is mounted read-only
    "If you want to make modifications to files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw / "

I tried to edit the payload from iLiberty+ with this fsck+mount command, but the payload phase seems not to run in Recovery-mode
    Here is the message from iLiberty+:

DEBUG ON
    Jailbraking...Done
    Enabling AFC2...Done
    No payload found, pass 2 skipped
    Unmounting...
    umount: /mnt2: not currently mounted
    ** /dev/rdisk0s1
    ** etc...

So the iPhone continuously reboots and enters recovery-mode. It is not possible to SSH into it because it simply does not get to the TCP loading part
    Does anyone have any idea how to make it that iLiberty+ will do a 'fsck' (fix the filesystem), or know any other way this could be accomplished?
    Or maybe know how to access a file in Single-User mode (or Recovery, or DFU mode)?

Any help is greatly appreciated...
    Thanks a lot for replying
    Have a nice day,
    Ralfko
    Last edited by ralfko; 01-07-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Default Fixing Invalid node structure on disk0s2 - fsck_hfs
    Hi,

I am making some progress. I hex-edited iLiberty+ and can now change the script. Even before the Jailbraking starts. (A similar trick was used by Jonathan Zdziarski, to crack the iPhone Passcode in "iPhone Passcode Easily Defeated").

Now i need some help with the fsck_hfs command.
    The main script from iLiberty+ does this:

fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk0s1
    check_result
    fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk0s2
    check_result
    mount_hfs -o noasync,sync /dev/disk0s1 /mnt1
    check_result
    mount_hfs -o noasync,sync /dev/disk0s2 /mnt2
    check_result
    ROOTFS="/mnt1"
    USERFS="/mnt2"

I'd like to change this code a bit, so the file system /dev/disk0s2 is mounted. It now fails to mount while "Checking Catalog file" with an "Invalid node structure (4, 883)" error.

Does anyone know which fsck_hfs option fixes an "Invalid node structure" error?
    Or maybe were to find a man page for fsck_hfs which applies to the iPhone.

Thanks in advance for any insight...
    rko
    Last edited by ralfko; 12-23-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Default [SOLVED] recovery-mode loop fixed -> fsck_hfs -r
    Hi,

I finally solved the problem..
    The solution was to run an fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk02s
    I tried to run this through iLiberty+ (by hex-editing the Ramdisk and even the main program) but did not succeed because of a continuous "BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0" error.

Finally i hex-exited iPlus1.2 (the iplus.dat source) and run "ipdo -a -j"
    (In the iplus.dat, i changed all fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk0s2 enties in fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2
    The manual enties for fsck_hfs can also be found inside iplus.dat )

My iPhone booted twice, running fsck_hfs and fixed the filesystem.
    After that my Springboard came up and all was Ok again; so no need to extract data, or to reinstall; just a run with a patched iplus.dat was enough to get my phone working again... ))

Christmas greetings, 4estita Koleda,
    Ralfko
    Last edited by ralfko; 12-25-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralfko View Post
    Hi,

I finally solved the problem..
    The solution was to run an fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk02s
    I tried to run this through iLiberty+ (by hex-editing the Ramdisk and even the main program) but did not succeed because of a continuous "BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0" error.

Finally i hex-exited iPlus1.2 (the iplus.dat source) and run "ipdo -a -j"
    (In the iplus.dat, i changed all fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk0s2 enties in fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2
    The manual enties for fsck_hfs can also be found inside iplus.dat )

My iPhone booted twice, running fsck_hfs and fixed the filesystem.
    After that my Springboard came up and all was Ok again; so no need to extract data, or to reinstall; just a run with a patched iplus.dat was enough to get my phone working again... ))

Christmas greetings, 4estita Koleda,
    Ralfko
    If this really works, it needs to be freakin' stickied. Can you upload your patched file? And is this a Mac only solution? What would a Windows user do to get your results?
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OneRing2Rule For This Useful Post:

briangriffin (04-05-2009)

Hi OneRing2Rule,

Of course it works, my iPhone is repaired and i have access to all data
    I could upload the 'patched' iplus.dat' file, just tell me were you want it..

I did all of this on a Windows machine, but am sure it works as well on a Mac.

Default Same problem!
    AHh! I have the same problem and I really need help here... The only difference is that my phone is a 3g 2.2 firmware and its been physically damaged. I tried the iphone forensics document by jonathan, but when I tried creating the custom firmware using the Pwnage Tool its not able to detect the phone is already Stuck in a DFU loop. The only way to make it see its in DFU, is to first attempt a factory itunes restore whch fails, then the screen on the iphone turns white and stays that way till I hit the power button on it. At that point while its white, I run Pwnage Tool and it seems like it sucessfully works creating the custom firmware package, it tells me to connect to itunes and install the custom package, but when it goes to install it, it fails. Every time.

Is there ANY other way around this? I really want to recover my pictures and notes.

I have been without a phone for over a week now.

Thanks to anyone who knows anything about this.

-ssh-it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This thread has been owned!! Good Job on fixing your iPhone.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by ralfko View Post
    Hi OneRing2Rule,

Of course it works, my iPhone is repaired and i have access to all data
    I could upload the 'patched' iplus.dat' file, just tell me were you want it..

I did all of this on a Windows machine, but am sure it works as well on a Mac.
    Hi ralfko, I got the same problem in the recovery mode and want to extract data from my iPhone. I had tried to edit the iPlus.dat but got stuck on the continuous "BSD error". Could you please send me the "patched iPlus.dat" via email at "[email protected]". Thanks for your great help in advance. best regards, Matthew

Ooh, yes please Raifko I'd love to try your work with my poorly 2G. I too had tried all the steps you mentioned without success. Please post back with details on an upload if you can.

Regards,

Steve

Few days back I have lost my data from my iphone. I have used Stellar Phoenix Ipod recovery software and recover all my data.You can try this software.May be it will help you out. you can get details of this software from
    Mac Ipod data recovery | Macintosh Ipod data recovery

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^^^Thanks for some SPAM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    ^^^Thanks for some SPAM
    Settle down. It was a useful link, Mr. Moderator.

Need one?

It's good to see that there is actually some recovery software now. I had a similar problem and managed to miraculously fix it by trying a few times to replace some plists with iPhone Browser... It was quite the task, but it eventually worked out.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 04-22-2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: punctuationality
    Respect your elders.

[QUOTE=StealthBravo;3959291]^^^Thanks for some SPAM[/QUOTE

I am not a spammer. I have used this Mac ipod recovery software. Stellar Phoenix Macintosh data recovery is also one of the good recovery software. My friend has also recover his lost data from this software.

i'm having a unknow error 14, i can't freakin restore my iphone its stuck in recovery mode but won't ACTUALLY recover and fix anything

help?

okay so i have the same problem, my iphone (2g) is in recovery mode and i need to get my data off of it!! but the problem is its not jailbroken so i dont know if any of these things can work for my phone?? and also if i do jailbreak it right now ill loose everything anyways cas i have no backupfile or my phone.. is there any way i can use one of these programs to get the data off my phone before i restore it??

oh and im using a PC running on XP!! and im not as iphone savvy as most of you seem to be.. so all this code stuff isnt making sense!! id reallyyy appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction! if its not possible i wont waste any more time being phoneless and just restore it! as long as i know i tried!!

So has anyone found a iphonebrowser that can hit the file system while in dfu mode? everything i've tried so far can't see the phone itunes can but I don't want to do a destructive restore, is there any way I'll be able to get the data I need off the phone? the phone is a non jailbroken 3gs stuck in dfu mode. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast