Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone in recovery mode loop - need to extract data

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is an amazing thread, and I want to add what I can of use.

For those whose phones really really won't get out of recovery, the iplus.dat hack sounds genius. Can anyone verify that this works? I'm sure that reproducing the orignal error on the phone is tough. You could probably do it by filling the phone to the brim with large video files, and in multiple stages so as to scatter the files across the filesystem blocks or whatever (I'm a consultant, though I don't know exactly how the backends WORKS I do know how to BREAK it). Then open the videos files and HACK AWAY scrub scrub and try to corrupt the filesystem. I imagine this is what caused the problems that were fixed with the patched iplus.dat (wtvr that does). See, flash memory is super fast, but has the worst file integrity. This is why the iPhones are designed to be restored regularly. It's a good idea and I always restore completely before I travel (hence I end up on this forum before my upcoming journeys). Sounds to me like the filestructure/indexblocks/wtvr got a few bits short of a byte and bam, not mountable. Congrats on that hack!

Here's what I can offer to those who don't need to or just plain can't go to that legnth. Two ideas:

get it out of recovery loop (it's not a dfu loop, because dfu is, I believe, a hardware state you can always access without even an OS installed at all).
    Who played NES? Remember the power-spin-blows and whathaveyou that would eventually get those pesky cartridges to load? Well…
    My 3G and now my 3GS have both gone into this recovery-mode-ish reboot cycle (is that what we're talking about?) where it just shows the boot logo for about ten minutes and then reboots, indefinitely or until the battery drains. it may also end up in recovery mode a couple times or kinda permanently. Here's what worked for me EVERYTIME as I was each time on an airplane for 10+ hours across the Atlantic (coincidence? voltage issues? but it's a dual voltage device…).

Hold the power and home until it powers off >
    let go and hold them both again until it boots > and shuts down >
    now, either plug it into the wall (not the computer) or I used a battery case (mophie juicepack if you must know) >
    as soon as it boots again from hitting the power source just keep going nuts on all the buttons (especially power and home) and the touchscreen. Keep tapping and rapping on it! Don't hold anything down that might be interpretted as a startup/shutdown modifier or command. Don't double click or short hold either! And tap and swipe that screen. Now KEEP DOING THAT and watch a movie until it makes it to the glorious lockscreen (you never felt so L33T).
    If it doesn't boot up in under 20min (notice it may very well go longer before rebooting this way, and you may get gamer-cramps) start all over and use the force, there'll be nothing tostop us this time. If you still haz F417, maybe modify the order of events to reboot I described at the beginning just a bit - (the timing difference between getting into recovery and DFU is rather minute).
    This works. Unless your filesystem itself is unmountable, I guess. I don't see this rebuilding a broken partion map or wrapper or wtvr - try the other solutions offered early in this thread. Don't believe me? Obviously you never played nintendo so much you fried those solid state cartridges.

also here are a couple VERY helpful bits about the subtleties of getting into Recovery vs DFU modes: iClarified.com | How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode
    NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!
    or two: iClarified - How to Put an iPhone Into Recovery Mode

Option two: make that F0N3 restore!! I too have spent days looking at pwnagetool, redsn0w, blackra1n, and even iTunes wondering why it won't recognize that the phone frikkn is "connected to USB"!!!
    This is the most successful way to get that working for me, try it for you:
    do a solid reboot like above (power&home till shutdown, release and repress until it boots and shuts down) >
    now go for the oldschool recovery mode>
    while it's still off, hold the home button for at least 5 seconds >
    continue holding it and plug in the USB cord >
    hold the home button until it's got the "plug into iTunes" logo or the equivalent custom logo.
    Now always have the one and only app you desire to recognize the phone launched (if that's not iTunes, this means quitting ituneshelper in activity monitor or terminal, or even moving iTunes into the trash so it can't launch). But the kicker is nothing has a better implentation (it seems to me) for actually seeing the crapped out phone than iTunes. Blackra1n sees it easier actually, but it's just such a dirty hack i never feel it indicates anything about troubleshooting when it F417s. But whatever gets your phone out of recovery mode.
    I think recovery is better than dfu in this case. In DFU, the OS is not going to boot, it's like a powered paperweight. In recovery the OS (if still alive enough) is running at a bare minimum (I imagine like BiOS on PC's) and will say hello back when the computer calls out for it.

True these are not sophisticated workarounds. But yet have worked for me many many times.

And to spooky655 who sent me to this thread: ummm, nvrmnd ;-)
    i mean if you want to avoid at least one of the recovery-boot-loops, go [ame="http://modmyi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5236085&postcount=110"]here[/ame] before running cydia's latest update.
    Last edited by willeyeam; 05-09-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Default Need to Get data off before a restore
    I updated the background app in Cidya and after the reboot, my phone went into a boot loop (WALD). I can get the phone into DFU and Recovery mode.

First of all, I know that I can do a restore through recovery mode, and clean restore my phone. However, I have much data on the phone that I have not backed up to the computer. Pictures, video, contacts, etc. I want to get my data off of the phone.

I have tried:
    Blackra1n (R3) -picks up the phone in recovery mode, but Freezes up on geohuts face. and reboots after 2-3min
    Blackra1n (R1) -picks up the phone in recovery mode, but stays on geohuts face with a spinning time and reboots phone in about 10min.
    Spirit - "connect to device" doesn't even recognize the phone.
    iphoneBrowswer - cant get it to recognize the phone.
    iphoneExplorer - cant get it to recognize the phone.
    SSH - cant get it to recognize the phone.
    ibooter - cant get it to recognize the phone.
    iplus2 - cant get it to recognize the phone.
    redsn0w - tried to get out of boot loop, but it doesn't fix it. Still in boot loop.
    iRecovery - it can connect to the phone in recovery mode. I tried Setenv auto-boot true, saveenv, fsboot, reboot, /exit (all combinations). but still in boot.
    iTunes - connects in Recovery mode
    Also, I am on Windows. (maybe that my first problem)

Can I recover data through iRecovery? That is the only non itunes program that has some sort of hope?

Anyone, please help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

You can try iRecovery, but i don't know if it will actually work. You may be screwed and will be forced to restore.

It's because of possible situations like yours that I backup my iPhone and iPad so much.

Thanks for your reply. I am trying my best to avoid a restore.
    I got verbose to work through redsn0w. And there is an error on
    Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
    Volume Header needs minor repair

Any thoughts?

WHICH iphone do u have?

i succesfully got my files back that way:
    iPhone Reboot Loops (mobilewatchdog.bundle & blackra1n)

read MY post on that site above.

that (you have to adapt it to your device/firmware) should work on if there is a tool like pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze or something else that creates an ipsw (jailbroken) and can patch your device to accept that.. so possible should be:

sn0wbreeze
    * iPhone 2G
    * iPhone 3G
    * iPhone 3G[S] - old bootrom
    * iPod Touch 1G
    * iPod Touch 2G - non MC

and if youfind otehr tools taht support that more defvices will suport that way i saved my files WITH restoring
    Last edited by dresaa; 05-20-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dresaa View Post
    WHICH iphone do u have?

i succesfully got my files back that way:
    iPhone Reboot Loops (mobilewatchdog.bundle & blackra1n)

read MY post on that site above.

that (you have to adapt it to your device/firmware) should work on if there is a tool like pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze or something else that creates an ipsw (jailbroken) and can patch your device to accept that.. so possible should be:

sn0wbreeze
    * iPhone 2G
    * iPhone 3G
    * iPhone 3G[S] - old bootrom
    * iPod Touch 1G
    * iPod Touch 2G - non MC

and if youfind otehr tools taht support that more defvices will suport that way i saved my files WITH restoring
    Dresaa,
    Thanks for the tutorial, I posted on that link that you sent some questions that I had, take a look and let me know your thoughts...

Thanks

Hey PLEASE HELP, i have the same problem could someone tell me how to get out. I AM EXTREMELY TIRED OF THIS AND HAVE VERY IMPORTANT FILES ON THERE.

EASY FIX FOR IPHONE RECOVERY MODE ISSUE. CHECK SOLUTION AT: Iphone in recovery mode – Stuck on USB cable to iTunes logo screen | Zaneer's Blog
    WORKED FANTASTIC FOR ME !!!!!!!!

fixed it ages ago but since this thread is still going, let me add what i've learnt as a noob

apple has stopped people from upgrading to a slightly newer firmware to what they are using (i.e if your firmware is super old) so you must install the NEWEST or at more one below the newest... probably to reduce jailbreaking situations.

also if you're gonna do a backup and you're gonna install a new itunes, make sure you install the new itunes first before the backup. Otherwise you can't restore

Do these fixes work for an iphone 4 on 4.3.2, jailbroken??? I'm having the same issue, stuck on apple logo, and can't get into the phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12