+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPHONE UPDATE RELEASED! 07-31-07

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
iPHONE updated available via iTunes. I have no idea what it does. Probably nothing we would notice because it's version 1.01 I'm guessing a few security issues. I'm updating it
    iPhone? More like MyPhone f00fighters's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPHONE UPDATE RELEASED! 07-31-07
    iPHONE updated available via iTunes. I have no idea what it does. Probably nothing we would notice because it's version 1.01 I'm guessing a few security issues. I'm updating it as we speak. Let me know if anyone finds out any other information!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Let me know if you can still mod...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Engadget says you can still mod. But does this set the phone back to its original state thus deleting my ringtones and custom icons?

iPhone? More like MyPhone f00fighters's Avatar
    Thanks

You're going to call me selfish, but unfortunately i'm not taking one for the team. Yes, I know, you can call me a wuss. I was starting up iFuntastic the new version, and I just said to myself- forget it! I'll wait for someone else to be the guinea pig. But so far the update deleted all my newly added ringtones, which is understandable- considering it's an UPDATE- so it does require a restore. I really enjoyed my 24 ringtone for a short time. Someone brave, please step up to the plate.

I notice absolutely nothing with this update. What a downer.

I tried it for myself- after reading garf's pm, yes iFuntastic 2 works perfectly fine with the iPhone update
    Last edited by f00fighters; 07-31-2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Many of the people with mods on their phones are having to restore their phones before they can get the update.

Looks like custom ringtones are okay, but custom themes and icons get the dreaded "need to restore" error message.

Mine updated in less than five minutes without any problems. Basically just security fixes for safari I think.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9&dateline=1181485574

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

About the security content of iPhone v1.0.1 Update
    This document describes the security content of iPhone v1.0.1 Update, which can be downloaded and installed via iTunes as described below.

For the protection of our customers, Apple does not disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until a full investigation has occurred and any necessary patches or releases are available. To learn more about Apple Product Security, see the Apple Product Security website.

For information about the Apple Product Security PGP Key, see "How to use the Apple Product Security PGP Key."

Where possible, CVE IDs are used to reference the vulnerabilities for further information.

To learn about other Security Updates, see "Apple Security Updates."

iPhone v1.0.1 Update
    Safari

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-2400

Available for: iPhone v1.0

Impact: Visiting a malicious website may allow cross-site scripting

Description: Safari's security model prevents JavaScript in remote web pages from modifying pages outside of their domain. A race condition in page updating combined with HTTP redirection may allow JavaScript from one page to modify a redirected page. This could allow cookies and pages to be read or arbitrarily modified. This update addresses the issue by correcting access control to window properties. Credit to Lawrence Lai, Stan Switzer, and Ed Rowe of Adobe Systems, Inc. for reporting this issue.

Safari

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-3944

Impact: Viewing a maliciously crafted web page may lead to arbitrary code execution

Description: Heap buffer overflows exist in the Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE) library used by the JavaScript engine in Safari. By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted web page, an attacker may trigger the issue, which may lead to arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of JavaScript regular expressions. Credit to Charlie Miller and Jake Honoroff of Independent Security Evaluators for reporting these issues.

WebCore

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-2401

Impact: Visiting a malicious website may allow cross-site requests

Description: An HTTP injection issue exists in XMLHttpRequest when serializing headers into an HTTP request. By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted web page, an attacker could trigger a cross-site scripting issue. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of header parameters. Credit to Richard Moore of Westpoint Ltd. for reporting this issue.

WebKit

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-3742

Impact: Look-alike characters in a URL could be used to masquerade a website

Description: The International Domain Name (IDN) support and Unicode fonts embedded in Safari could be used to create a URL which contains look-alike characters. These could be used in a malicious web site to direct the user to a spoofed site that visually appears to be a legitimate domain. This update addresses the issue by through an improved domain name validity check.

WebKit

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-2399

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: An invalid type conversion when rendering frame sets could lead to memory corruption. Visiting a maliciously crafted web page may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. Credit to Rhys Kidd of Westnet for reporting this issue.

Installation note
    This update is only available through iTunes, and will not appear in your computer's Software Update application, or on the Apple Support Downloads site. Make sure you have an Internet connection and have installed the latest version of iTunes from (www.apple.com/itunes).

iTunes automatically checks Apple's update server on its weekly schedule. When an update is detected, it will download it. When the iPhone is docked, iTunes will present the user with the option to install the update. We recommend applying the update immediately if possible. Selecting "don't install" will present the option the next time you connect your iPhone. The automatic update process may take up to a week depending on the day that iTunes checks for updates.

You can manually obtain the update via the "Check for Updates" button or menu choice in iTunes. After doing this, the update can be applied when your iPhone is docked to your computer.

To check that the iPhone has been updated:

Navigate to Settings on the iPhone.
    Click General.
    Click About. The version after applying this update will be "1.0.1 (1C25)".
    Source: Click Me

Thanks

So what's the verdict mods? Do we or don't we update? We just need to find a way to add music and video&pics on the iPhone like any other flash drive and we can then say to hell with iTunes lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    So what's the verdict mods? Do we or don't we update? We just need to find a way to add music and video&pics on the iPhone like any other flash drive and we can then say to hell with iTunes lol
    Verdict is if you want to update go for it, but it will remove any custom ringtones that you'll have to add again, same with the icons (i cant confirm that though) but you can go back and re-mod from what i read. Ill test it when i get home from work if no one else has since then

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

I had to reinstall all my mods, but other than that, the update went well.

JpN
    Thanks
    Anyone have issues with VoiceMail? I did...had to re-do...and re-do Password
    Last edited by JpN; 08-01-2007 at 10:03 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have found a difference when joining wireless network you no longer have the option of picking what type or password to use. (WPA, WEP HEX or ASCII) it does it automatically.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If we do the update do we have to run the jailbreak thing again?

iPhone? More like MyPhone nokian93's Avatar
    Thanks

Most likely jail break will be have to ran. Causing your doing a full restore.

JpN
    Thanks
    Yep....Full Restore. On my sons(windows) he did not have to restore. I am thinking if you hacked into it you will have to do a restore...just my 2 cents...I really dont know. The windows upgrade was effortless were my Mac took me back to ground zero

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it looks like a pointless upgrade ill wait for the next one