Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unBrick your 1.1.2 'Brick'

Default unBrick your 1.1.2 'Brick'
    This may also work for Euro iphones running 1.1.2, not 100%, but don't see why not!

It seems that the new baseband will not work on 1.1.1, and since it doesn't seem that 1.1.2 can be jailbreaked or activated, those of you who upgraded to 1.1.2 and now have bricks (or semi-bricks if you downgraded to 1.1.1 and can not use phone functions) will have to restore the baseband. Here are the steps and the rar file includes everything you will need, except for the 1.1.1 and 1.0.2 firmware files, which can be downloaded below:

1) If on 1.1.2, You will now need to go into restore mode on the phone (Hold both buttons, then let go of the power button when the phone turns off and keep holding the home button for a few more seconds, until iTunes says to restore) and downgrade using SHIFT-Restore to 1.1.1

2) When in 1.1.1, You will now need to go into restore mode on the phone (Hold both buttons, then let go of the power button when the phone turns off and keep holding the home button for a few more seconds, until iTunes says to restore) and downgrade using SHIFT-Restore to 1.0.2

3) Jailbreak and activate the phone using WINSTALLER (open WinstallerGUI.exe and click on activate)

4) Install Installer.app using WINSTALLER by clicking on 'Install Application', then selecting the Installer.app folder

5) Run Installer on your phone, (update if necessary) and install Community Sources (from Sources), BSD Subsystem (from System) and OpenSSH (from System) in that order.

6) Using WinSCP, connect to your iPhone (user: root password:dottie) and upload:

ICE03.14.08_G.eep
    ICE03.14.08_G.fls
    iEraser
    bbupdater
    secpack
    secpack.bin

to /usr/bin on your iPhone.

7) Using PuTTY, connect to your iphone (again user: root pass:dottie).

Type in the following: (pressing the ENTER button after each line)

launchctl

unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

Now type in:

cd /usr/bin

chmod +x iEraser

chmod +x bbupdater

iEraser

bbupdater -v

At this point bbupdater will return saying that it could not ping the baseband. This is good and means it was successfully deleted.

8) Overwrite with the new baseband by typing in the following:

bbupdater -f *.fls -e *.eep

It will run its course. When finished type in:

bbupdater -v

It should tell you that you have modem version 03.14.08_G.

9) You will now need to go back into restore mode on the phone (Hold both buttons, then let go of the power button when the phone turns off and keep holding the home button for a few more seconds, until iTunes says to restore) and using the SHIFT-Restore method, restore to 1.02.

10) You can now restore to 1.1.1 and use the *#307# method and jailbreakme.com to unlock.

11) If you unlocked using AnySIM, you will need to reinstall it (In installer.app, add 'i.unlock.no/' (make sure to include that last slash) to your sources, and then you will have a new category called unlocking tools, in which you can install anysim, but make sure to install BSD subsystem again first!

1.1.2 Baseband Downgrade Pack:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/68819542...epack.rar.html

1.1.1 FW:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....a_Restore.ipsw

1.0.2 FW:
    http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....8_Restore.ipsw
    Last edited by shawnie53; 11-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shawnie53 For This Useful Post:

big "dd" (11-11-2007), bluenwhite (11-11-2007), FiftyPence (11-10-2007), jacobzking (11-10-2007), KEEMMAN (11-15-2007), niftymu (11-12-2007), PlayStation3Br (12-19-2007)

Thanks

Great job putting this together!

thanks. and yes, this package includes SECPAK for the new 1.1.2 baseband to be able to downgrade it.

I'm willing to give this a go on a OTB 1.1.2 phone if it might work, however, will the different bootloader for the UK/Euro phones have any effect on this working?

Also, is there anything that could go wrong in this that could brick the phone beyond recovery? I'm a noob but it seems that people use the term brick but things can still be recovered. To me a brick is a brick, you may as well throw it out.

Is what your method achieves, similar to me having bought a US phone, i.e. the only difference between a US and UK iPhone is what the software is. If you can get the software on a UK to be exactly the same as a US one, you effectively have a US phone?

Again I'm probably being a noob here, just wan't to be sure. I'm eager to get my iPhone working but not if it means I end up with a doorstop!

Also, I couldn't find "Community Sources" anywhere in Installer, am I doing something wrong?

I think to summarise my question, what is stopping me using the Virginising tutorials to bring everything down to 1.0.2, then use the tutorials to bring it up to 1.1.1?

If the baseband is the problem, the virginising will fix this. I guess the bootloader is a problem but I don't know where this fits in.
    Last edited by bapbap; 11-10-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bapbap For This Useful Post:

tuomas92 (11-10-2007)

Quote Originally Posted by bapbap View Post
    I'm willing to give this a go on a OTB 1.1.2 phone if it might work, however, will the different bootloader for the UK/Euro phones have any effect on this working?

Also, is there anything that could go wrong in this that could brick the phone beyond recovery? I'm a noob but it seems that people use the term brick but things can still be recovered. To me a brick is a brick, you may as well throw it out.

Is what your method achieves, similar to me having bought a US phone, i.e. the only difference between a US and UK iPhone is what the software is. If you can get the software on a UK to be exactly the same as a US one, you effectively have a US phone?

Again I'm probably being a noob here, just wan't to be sure. I'm eager to get my iPhone working but not if it means I end up with a doorstop!

Also, I couldn't find "Community Sources" anywhere in Installer, am I doing something wrong?

I think to summarise my question, what is stopping me using the Virginising tutorials to bring everything down to 1.0.2, then use the tutorials to bring it up to 1.1.1?

If the baseband is the problem, the virginising will fix this. I guess the bootloader is a problem but I don't know where this fits in.
    What I did has absolutely nothing to do with the bootloader. In fact, since others have effectively downgraded their firmware (not baseband) to 1.1.1, there should be no problem in doing this and getting the older baseband running on your UK phone. This will make it into the exact same phone as a US phone, except, as you said, it will be running a newer bootloader, which should not make any difference. Using this method, although a bit tedious, you will be able to run 1.1.1 and use jailbreakme.com on a UK phone and install 3rd party apps exactly as on a US phone. The bootloader should not be a problem, and from my experience, no matter what you do, you will always be able to restore to your 1.1.2 firmware and have the phone exactly as when you started. The problem is not with upgrading the baseband (which is automatic with a 1.1.2 restore) but downgrading. It is my opinion that you have nothing to worry about, and you will be a pioneer in UK phone modding!!!!

Good Luck!

P.S. The Community Sources is in installer, under the sources heading, but if you already have BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH, then you already have the sources installed. If you want to unlock it, once on 1.1.1, you can add the source i.unlock.no/ and be able to go to the UNLOCKING TOOLS heading and unlock the UK phone and be able to install 3rd party apps as on any US phone running 1.1.1.

Thanks, I'll give things a day or two and if I'm no closer, I'll give it a go!

Thanks for the support...
    Last edited by shawnie53; 11-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.

wow thats fast but is there any other links other than rapidshare to d/l the baseband downgrade pack.. coz i dun seems to be able to d/l them...

tks again!

Default question
    OK, I'm seriously considering getting a UK iPhone and trying to downgrade/unlock it using your method. Tthe files inside your downgrade pack are .exe, so I assume this means this method is windows only. I could do the unlocking on a windows machine, but when I connect the downgraded/unlocked phone to my mac (which I primarily use), will it then want to restore and format as a mac device? Or does it not matter?

does this work on UK iphones, can anybody confirm? IS THERE A HOW TO FOR MAC USERS?

I have had no success with Jailbreaking or Unlocking a UK iPhone.

I can downgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.0.2 but not get out of recovery mode with these versions. iNdependence crashes on launch with a 1.0.2 or 1.1.1 UK iPhone plugged in and iPhuc doesn't communicate. With 1.1.2, iNdependence says it detects a 1.1.2 phone but won't communicate.

So I don't think it is possible to do anything with a UK iPhone currently, but hopefully soon!!! I so want to play with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joshysquashy View Post
    I have had no success with Jailbreaking or Unlocking a UK iPhone.

I can downgrade to 1.1.1 or 1.0.2 but not get out of recovery mode with these versions. iNdependence crashes on launch with a 1.0.2 or 1.1.1 UK iPhone plugged in and iPhuc doesn't communicate. With 1.1.2, iNdependence says it detects a 1.1.2 phone but won't communicate.

So I don't think it is possible to do anything with a UK iPhone currently, but hopefully soon!!! I so want to play with it!!!
    Since you are talking about iNdependence, you are using Mac. I suggest you read this webpage: http://code.google.com/p/iphone-elite/wiki/Downgrade112

If you can downgrade, you cannot boot the phone. Thus you will need iphuc to boot the phone. Instructions are available on the page.

I can't get Putty to change directory, Keeps saying Unknown subcommand "cd"
    Any ideas?

Never mind, I worked it out.
    I had to exit Putty and the reload and log back in after the unload part.

Wicked, Worked! Just make sure you type the commands exactly as written Capitals and all

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by beljim; 11-11-2007 at 05:11 PM.

You can downgrade a UK 1.1.2 native iphone straight to 1.0.2 with no issues. What you can't then do it downgrade the baseband.

iEraser appears to remove the IMEI ICCID and Modem Firmware (Baseband), but if you reset the phone it just comes back, or if you do a bbupdater it returns an error about not being able to verify the image that was written.

Error: Failed to download .EEP: Could not verify downloaded image.

bbupdater -v returns the following...

firmware: DEV_ICE_MODEM_04.02.13_G
    eep version: EEP_VERSION:208
    eep revision: EEP_REVISION:1
    BOOTLOADER_VERSION:4.6_M3S2

The problem (in my limited experience) appears to be down to the fact that either A). The 1.1.2 secpack doesn't work for the British version (yes, there are differences in the firmware, could there be differences in the baseband), or B). the Bootloader version is having an effect on our ability to erase and or rewrite the baseband.

I would be happy with a complete erase, because from there I could just revirginise to 1.1.1, jailbreak and unlock. Job done. Having said that, being able to jailbreak 1.1.2 and unlock will be nice, again because of the subtle regional differences that exist.

Trying on a UK iphone,

using WinSCP i can see

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

But in putty

unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

I get no process ???

Also CD gives unkown subcommand ( do change Dir i need to restart putty)

any ideas ???

Today I purchased a US iPhone with 1.1.2 out of the box and 4.6_M3S2 bootloader. I downgraded to 1.0.2 and jailbroke it. I am tempted to reflash the baseband.
    Has anyone used this method to successfully unlock their iPhone?
    Last edited by kgelster; 11-12-2007 at 06:22 PM.

hey, idk if im in the wrong thread or if you guys can help, but ive looked all around and havent any luck with my problem! maybe you guys can lead me along the right path.

I had a 1.1.1 unlocked t-mobile phone and it was actin' up so i went to restore it with itunes/independence, and it had been a while so i forgot what to do and foolishly just clicked restore in itunes and im pretty sure that loaded 1.1.2 FW on my iphone. and then it gave me the error at the end (most likely because i didnt install okToPrep from installer beforehand) and now it just stays at the "plug in to itunes" icon on my phone.

i think its stuck in recovery mode, and when i used the "Option+Restore" method in iTunes to load 1.0.2 or 1.1.1 FWs again, it just gives me the same error message..

it shows the itunes icon and ipod cord picture, not the yellow triangle by the way...

ive tried using independence (crashes) and iBrickr (recognizes it, but cannot boot it/load 1.0.2)

And i really dont know where to go from here. I dont want a shiny 400$ brick sitting on my desk forever!!! please help out guys!!

thank you
    i LOVE apple.

Default Error 1015 and Error 1
    Hello,
    I have an iPhone that I purchased with 1.1.1, jailbreaked and unlocked (well I had it done for me). I smartly decided to upgrade to 1.1.2 after installing oktprep, but I ended up bricking my phone for some reason. I tried to follow the steps you outlined, but I am getting an error when I try to downgrade to 1.1.1 (error 1015). When I try to downgrade from there to 1.0.2 I get another error (error 1). Anyone can help out?
    I'd really appreciate it

yea, im in the same boat as you Bishtelli... I got me a nice shiny 400$ iBrick sittin here. Could someone PLEASE help us out? ive tried everything..
    i LOVE apple.

If you're stuck on the "Connect to iTunes/Cord with iTunes icon" first thing you need to do is a shift-restore to 1.1.1, theres a good chance that the recovery will error out in iTunes.

This is ok because you're back down to 1.1.1 which has DFU restore (they took it out of 1.1.2)

Now use iBrick 0.91 to kick the phone into DFU mode (it will ask you if you want to downgrade to 1.0.2)

The screen on your phone will turn solid white, now you can proceed to downgrade to 1.0.2 in iTunes using the shift-click restore method.

iTunes will give you another error and you should now have a yellow triangle w/"Connect to iTunes", click the correct option on iBrick and it will bring your iPhone to the 1.0.2 Activation screen.

Jailbreak your phone with iBrick, and then use PACAY to activate it.

Now you can proceed to following the instruction at the top of the thread, I spend most of the night last night going through this headache. Once you have the sequence down it's not bad.

One more issue I had was the version of iEraser included in the zip package would hang when attempting to wipe my baseband, I had to use iEraser v2 (just do a google search for it).

Best of Luck!
    Last edited by odiHnaD; 11-13-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast