Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.2 Firmware Update Slated for this Friday Firmware Nov 9th

Default 1.1.2 Firmware Update Slated for this Friday Firmware Nov 9th
    Wired is reporting the following:

IPhone Firmware Update Slated for this Friday: Bricking 2.0?
    November 06, 2007 | 2:26:39 PM

Iphone_bricking_ver2.0

This Friday, it could be déjà vu all over again for those with unlocked iPhones. A handful of U.K.- and U.S.-based news sites are predicting that Apple will upgrade the iPhone firmware this week in conjunction with the Friday launch in the U.K. and Germany.

That could mean, once again, that all the hacks and modifications painstakingly rebuilt after the 1.1.1 update will be rendered obsolete by version 1.1.2.

MacRumors recently reported that the expected update will at the very least break current unlocking software and possibly some third-party applications. Similarly, U.K.-based consumer electronics site, T3 said that the European iPhone will launch this Friday with firmware version 1.1.2 already on the phone.

It took developers and hackers weeks to rejigger their tool sets and unlock the software after the dreaded 1.1.1 release. In fact, the iPhoneSimFree group of developers just revised its own jailbreak application about a week ago.

If version 1.1.2 is indeed in the wings, the other outstanding question is whether Apple will bother issuing warnings this time around. As PC World reports, three days before the 1.1.1 update, Apple started warning unlocked iPhone owners, as well as those with 3rd party apps installed, that the new software would likely disable modified phones. As we all know, those warnings turned out to be more accurate than many would have liked. And yet, while any firmware update will undoubtedly mean more work for hackers, this time around Apple could see significantly less backlash due to the fact it has pre-announced an iPhone SDK in February. In fact, if anyone was still wondering about why Jobs bothered announcing the SDK four months before its release, we may finally have our answer. PR!
    Last edited by Delmustator; 11-07-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: update
    -Del

yawn...
    Iphoned & now using T-MO prepaid, Been playing w/ Apples for nearly 2 decades...

Thanks

does that mean jailbroken phones wait for a while for an update to 1.1.2?

If you dont like it, dont upgrade.. Same old story, over and over again.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EmoRebellion View Post
    If you dont like it, dont upgrade.. Same old story, over and over again.
    Based on what i heard, theres no reason to update. No special features or anything. Just some language packs and some security updates.
    All i gotta say is that everyone here speaks english pretty well. So, theres no need. Also, if you do speak a diffrent language get the language packs off installer. Other than that, F**k a security update, my iphone is secure enough in my pocket.

Isn't the security update just a patch of the same TIFF exploit that 1.1.1 uses? lol. So in essence, with the Tiff Exploit fix, and installed language packs, people already have 1.1.2.

But we still need to find a new way to install 3rd party apps into the phone. If we don't, then what happens in future revisions of the 1.x.x f/w that allow new features? Do we part ways w/ the modding of new f/w's now? We will be left in the dust my friends... Not to say that our devs are not good, but apple has a bajillion devs working on new features/apps. If we all work on this together, we can succeed.

Aw crap, I'm buying my iPhone on the 17th... But can't I just use iTunes 7.4.2 to downgrade to 1.1.1? I don't know if they will sell all new iPhones w/ 1.1.2 yet or not. Just prepping I guess...