+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: quick question about restoring

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have jailbroken (through jailbreakme.com) iphone with 1.1.1 and since I am an AT&T customer I am assuming it is still locked. I recently upgraded to itunes 7.5. I am
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default quick question about restoring
    I have jailbroken (through jailbreakme.com) iphone with 1.1.1 and since I am an AT&T customer I am assuming it is still locked. I recently upgraded to itunes 7.5. I am thinking about restoring my phone and am a little aprehensive since im not very computer smart. Im worried about screwing up my phone. And also my contacts arent stored on my computer. If I restore it will all my contacts be lost forever or does itunes remember them some how? I'm sorry if I sound like complete newbie but it is because I am. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

Thanks

Why do you want to restore?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I pretty much just want to be able to upgrade the firmware when it comes out.

Thanks

what type of computer are you using? pc or mac?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

a pc with windows xp

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You will need to reactivate the phone after a restore. Since you are an AT&T customer, that shouldn't be a problem.

You can back up your contacts by making a copy of the AddressBook folder in var/root/library. Or just sync it. After restoring, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore your files.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lost074 View Post
    I pretty much just want to be able to upgrade the firmware when it comes out.
    Wait until the firmware comes out, wait until knowledgable people have worked out what will happen, and wait until knowledgable people have worked out what you can and cannot do to upgrade.

Don't install it straight away and screw up your phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help, and I most likely will end up waiting to see what the "brains" say about the new firmware (any idea when that is released). But if I could get a little more info on the Adress book folder in var/root/library. I dont really know how to do that. I have synced my iphone recently if i dont have my contacts saved in outlook or any think like that will it still prompt me to add my contacts back in after a restore. Thanks again for the help so far.