Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Permanently prevent itunes from updating the iphone

Default Permanently prevent itunes from updating the iphone
    Hey there folks... sorry if this is already answered somewhere i could not find it.

Many friends of mine have bougth iphones and i unlocked for them... and i tell them countless times that when a new iphone update arrives they must not update! but they do it anyway so i get a really nice job as an iphone viriginator and stuff...

is there a way? a hack, modifying hosts files or something like that to prevent itunes from updating the iphone?

please help me! thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mixi92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tetsu View Post
    Hey there folks... sorry if this is already answered somewhere i could not find it.

Many friends of mine have bougth iphones and i unlocked for them... and i tell them countless times that when a new iphone update arrives they must not update! but they do it anyway so i get a really nice job as an iphone viriginator and stuff...

is there a way? a hack, modifying hosts files or something like that to prevent itunes from updating the iphone?

please help me! thanks!
    Tetsu,

Just have itunes disable automatic syncing...open itunes then under edit go to preference then go to iphone tab and check 'Disable automatic syncing"

So far thats what I have

the thing is to disable firmware updates... permanently.. moron resistant.... something like editing the servers itunes contacts in order to check this... so i dont think disable the sync will solve this.. there is always the "check updates" button

Fill the connector at the bottom of the iPhone with a little epoxy so they can't plug the dock connector in.

Either that, or they'll learn eventually.
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."

Thanks

Nothing is moron proof. Your friends are just going to have to learn not to push the update button. How hard can that be?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (11-06-2007)

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

yes there is you need a modded .com.apple.update.plist...iamlooking for it now

jajajajajaj (or hahahahaha in english) that was funny :P

Default ..
    anybody? has some info bout this? thanks

Question Common sense needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Nothing is moron proof. Your friends are just going to have to learn not to push the update button. How hard can that be?
    This is the definitive answer. People are free to walk across freeways, too. But most know enough not to. And those that don't...
    PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

Its pretty simple. Grab the back of their heads, and push it to the computer, pull up the update notification, and smack them in the back of the head and tell them NO. I did this to my dog when it shat on the carpet and it worked like a charm.

Reako

theres a option that when it asks you to update you can choose never to be reminded about the update so click never simple as that

what about this?

whats the apple update website url?

i think we can add a line in the hosts file...

is located in

CWINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

the file name is "hosts" without extensions...

we should add a line like this

127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com

can anyone confirm the url? for the firmware download? or for the update check?

If you make something moron proof, they'll just come out with a bigger moron that will defeat your moron proofing.

Haha, ^ good point. OR just uninstall iTunes from their computers and make sure they only use yours to update their Music Libraries and so forth.

Reako