+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EDGE settings gone menus

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
OK, spent the last several days moding, and really enjoyed everything I could do. I ran into a problem, though. I noticed today that I no longer saw any EDGE
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default EDGE settings gone menus
    OK, spent the last several days moding, and really enjoyed everything I could do. I ran into a problem, though. I noticed today that I no longer saw any EDGE notifications. Now I did have that services add-on, but it wasn't deactivated. I tried turning it on/off which would SIM lock the phone and not fix anything. In Settings -> General -> Network I see no entry for EDGE, just WIFI. I cruised around here the last hour looking for a similar issue and found a link to here:

http://limitededitioniphone.com/solu...n-v111-iphone/

that mentions adjusting APN settings in:

/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist file

I didn't have this file. So, fearing the worst. I just did a restore to my first save point before unlocking and I still don't see it. Think I'm screwed. Suggestions? Please begin with step down off the ledge...

So, since I have deleted that save point and re-restored. No luck. I tried to use anySIM, but I don't think I did it correctly, either way no dice. I downgraded again and installed most of the stuff I had before. I don't have
    /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist so after reading a bunch of posts here I rolled the dice and pulled down the /var/root/Library/Preferences/System Preferences/preferences.plist file, renamed, then uploaded to see if it would do anything. Nothing. I know a couple of guys from work that have iPhones, one of which is unlocked so maybe I can copy his and upload.
    Last edited by HeavyHand; 10-31-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If your problem is that your EDGE settings disappear whenever you boot, this is the file you need to edit:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/UnknownCarrier.plist

Just enter your APN there.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That file is missing as well.

Thanks

Strange.

Do you want me to email these files to you? I don't guarantee that that will fix it, but if you wanna try, PM me your email address.
    Sydney, Australia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That would rock, thanks.

I attempted to replace the files. No Luck.
    Last edited by HeavyHand; 11-01-2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Did you put in your own EDGE settings? Mine were in those files, so enter your own settings. And UnknownCarrier.plist has two occurrences of the APN key. So you may need to enter your info in both places. Also, make sure that your username and password, if you have any, are entered, too, not just the APN. And you're on 1.1.1, I assume?

Also, read this link. Someone said to swap SIMs for a few minutes. Worked for him. We'll try anything now, I suppose. I'm off to bed!
    Sydney, Australia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Will give that a shot later.

Update:

I switched SIMs and got the setting back, but I still don't get the "E". Should I just wipe it and call SUpport?

Update. I wiped, called support, who after trying everything I already had, called AT&T support. They decided bad SIM. Got a new SIM, reactivated. EDGE works. Still no SMS.
    Last edited by HeavyHand; 11-01-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If it's not one thing it's another! You are one unlucky fella. If you get such legitimate support from AT&T anyway, why not just get a replacement iPhone. Tell them you got a lemon. I know there are many issues reported around here, but SMS is hardly one of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Sydney, Australia

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    If it's not one thing it's another! You are one unlucky fella. If you get such legitimate support from AT&T anyway, why not just get a replacement iPhone. Tell them you got a lemon. I know there are many issues reported around here, but SMS is hardly one of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    'preciate the help here so far. The good thing about all of this, is that I went absolutely wild throwing things on the phone to try them out and got a lot of experience with downgrading and other mods, and since I get almost obsessive-compulsive about this stuff I still am within the 14day return time for the phone. I will call them back today and try to get SMS sorted out, then re-mod everything as I like it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Denouement:

So, I called the Apple support again, we went through the same BS as before. When I finally got to the AT&T support, they "removed my account settings and re-added them." That finally fixed my SMS issue. Hope this helps some one else, as I thought for sure I screwed my iPhone up.

Banned
    Thanks

do u have the services app that switched edge on and off???....if u do just turn edge back on

but u can go to settings---general----network---edge.....then change ur APN to wap.voicestream.com and ur password and username= guest.......thats how i use edge on my unlocked phone with tmobile
    Last edited by fat x nub; 11-04-2007 at 06:51 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fat x nub For This Useful Post:

izzi b (11-06-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fat x nub View Post
    do u have the services app that switched edge on and off???....if u do just turn edge back on

but u can go to settings---general----network---edge.....then change ur APN to wap.voicestream.com and ur password and username= guest.......thats how i use edge on my unlocked phone with tmobile
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I had tried all that, but no luck. The new SIM card worked to EDGE back, and last night AT&T support removed my account settings and readded them. That gave me my SMS back, so all is right with the world. Now I am trying to mess things up again with themes and icons.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm trying to put in a second APN, to use with my work email, which has to access a specific APN. How do you edit the settings to allow for a second APN?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have tmobile, and this happen to me, whats the solutions

Thanks

betowaldo, you have to be more specific. Exactly what happened to you?

HeavyHand, I'm glad to know everything's sorted out. Woohoo!
    Sydney, Australia

Green Apple
    Thanks

im having the same problem. I just opened up an account with t-mobile and im having the same problem with EDGE. I go to my settings and they ask for APN Username... I dont know any of that. Can some1 help?

Quote Originally Posted by fat x nub View Post

Hey, Thanks alot. I tried the APN settings and it worked!!!
    Last edited by izzi b; 11-06-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost