+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unlocked iphone ?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
so? it has freakin wifi. aka pretty much better then 3G
    iPhone? More like MyPhone thewhiteguy1's Avatar
    Thanks

so? it has freakin wifi. aka pretty much better then 3G

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Indeed, I agree, just playing Devil's Advocate. At the moment the fastest the iPhone will go with ATT while on their network (not including WiFi, which T-Mo has WiFi phones) is the same as T-Mobile's network.

Course, the next iPhone's will probably be 3G, as AT&T rolls out their 3G network to a point where its actually feasible, not just in a few major markets...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,270 Times in 652 Posts

just playing Devil's Advocate.

I agree with beyondthetech's post on hofo

Apple servers on AT&T Network equals a good thing?
    A couple of articles have recently reported that Apple was implementing servers on AT&T's network (see here and here).

Call me the neverending conspiracy theorist, but I think the notion of Apple placing their servers in their network is an answer to one of my prayers I made long ago when I first heard that the iPhone was going to use EDGE and not 3G, and I mulled about how sluggish a full, "real" web browser experience would be at EDGE speeds so late in the wireless game.

If you've ever heard of Venturi Personal Client, Propel Accelerator, ByteMobile Acceleration, you'll know where I'm going with this. What if the iPhone has some sort of an acceleration client when it's using the EDGE network, and that the Apple servers are serving as the gateway/server?

For those who DON'T know what the above programs are, the technology is simple. Instead of a mobile device or notebook pulling a web page directly from the Internet, it makes a request to an acceleration server. The server compresses everything it can, from images to HTML code, even stripping out pop-ups and ads on request, and sends the compressed data down to you. The client interprets the compressed information and decodes it back to usable form. This saves a lot of time and bandwidth, and you can really see its performance on dial-up, GPRS, EDGE, and 1xRTT.

Now, why are they putting it on AT&T's network? Well, it's obviously not needed on Wi-Fi. And, furthermore, it'll only be useful to AT&T subscribers... yet another reason why they'll be definitely influencing people to sign up for a contract. If the iPhone was unlocked and being used on any other GSM carrier, you'll only go as fast as their EDGE will provide you. But, in conjunction with this "Fine EDGE" they are implementing, your iPhone's EDGE experience on AT&T's network will not be disappointing.

What do you think?

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

I think i will love iPhone I'm fine with att edge speeds as it is, but if it is indeed too slow, i will just use my mb for mobile internet.

Thanks

i think its really not that bad. if you look at it. the pinnacle of business phones which are blackberrys pretty much all have edge on them. i have not seen a blackberry yet with 3G. and check this out. my dad is one of the vps of a company, and they all use blackberrys which still have edge. and their stuff is pretty demanding. edge isn't that bad.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thewhiteguy1 View Post
    i think its really not that bad. if you look at it. the pinnacle of business phones which are blackberrys pretty much all have edge on them. i have not seen a blackberry yet with 3G. and check this out. my dad is one of the vps of a company, and they all use blackberrys which still have edge. and their stuff is pretty demanding. edge isn't that bad.
    the blackjack has 3g

Thanks

blackjack runs windows mobile, which isn't just orientated for business. blackberrys are like business to the max. but now they are also becoming consumer items.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

crap i guess i just showed my lack of knowledge about samsuck products

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    crap i guess i just showed my lack of knowledge about samsuck products
    haha. samsuck products. nice one. the blackjack isn't all that bad.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123