Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: screen dead spot

Default screen dead spot
    I tried to click on my mail icon today and found that there is a dead spot along where the second row of icons is. I've tried resetting with the sleep/home button trick to no avail.its jailbroken since i bought it from someone on craigslist although they are the original owners with ATT service. is there a way to virginize the phone and use their sim card to get a warranty repair?
    Anyone got any ideas?

i appreciate the help.

Just it and virginize with the simple apps on the installer then restore it and try to take it in to an apple store and see what happens.

is there any method to fix this without dealing with apple, maybe some special reset or something?

Have you tried restoring it yet????

i have not, I've backed up my contacts to Windows contacts, is there a way to backup my other settings?

Yeah, click restore, then it will ask you to backup. Say yes then it will restore.

i restored and haven't unlocked it yet, the spots still dont work...
    i haven't dropped it or anything to make this happen.
    any ideas?

Call up apple and set up a repair.

just take it to apple, as long as you have restored it, they usually don't ask many questions, they'll probably replace the phone without a hitch. Whether covered by AppleCare or not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If you have a problem with the touch screen the only option without going to apple is to replace it. Apple will charge you like $200 i think or if you buy it online it will run you like 125-175. I would see if they will replace it first, then go from there. you can always just move the icons around so that the stuff you need is forced into another row, just by holding down the icon till it starts to move then dragging it into that row. Itll kick something currently in that row out and move that to the row.

Kindof a pain but its a workaround.
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

it's unlocked and jailbroken, what should i do about getting it repaired/replaced?

moreover, how do i get it fixed by apple if its jailbroken?
    Last edited by strongbad2797; 04-25-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by kcisjojo View Post
    If you have a problem with the touch screen the only option without going to apple is to replace it. Apple will charge you like $200 i think or if you buy it online it will run you like 125-175. I would see if they will replace it first, then go from there. you can always just move the icons around so that the stuff you need is forced into another row, just by holding down the icon till it starts to move then dragging it into that row. Itll kick something currently in that row out and move that to the row.

Kindof a pain but its a workaround.

Remember the area of the touchscreen that happens to be where the second row of icons is on the springboard is not used only to open 4 apps...

so i called 1-800-my-apple and gave them my "boss's" name and the serial number of the phone. I told them that he had "his" sim card with him on a business trip and he doesnt give out his personal number. "my boss" had sent me to go to the store and get it repaired if possible after i tried to restore it for him. The Genius Bar simply turned the phone on, saw that it was in the "please activate" screen, walked to the back and brought "my boss" a new one. Sweet!!

Thanks all

Lol good job.

It was originally jailbroken.
    I brought it into the store not Virginized but restored through itunes in the "activate now" mode. I did this so they hopefully wouldn't notice that it had been jailbroken previously. It might be helpful to tell them that you tried to restore it prior to bringing it in to see if that would fix the problem. PM me if you have any other questions.

=D

Adam