Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What the heck is SSH???

Default What the heck is SSH???
    I keep seeing references to ssh, and it is recommended that I have this installed on my 1.0.2 phone before I upgrade to 1.1.1. But for the life of me, after looking through downloads (found the new ssh) and other links, I cannot figure out what this is or what it does. I feel like an idiot.

J

Quote Originally Posted by gradejohn View Post
    I keep seeing references to ssh, and it is recommended that I have this installed on my 1.0.2 phone before I upgrade to 1.1.1. But for the life of me, after looking through downloads (found the new ssh) and other links, I cannot figure out what this is or what it does. I feel like an idiot.

J
    It stands for secure shell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gradejohn View Post

J
    Secure Socket Shell. It's simply more secure way of telneting to your iPhone to make changes on the Command Line level. You can also use it as a protocol with SFTP to access your iPhone using an FTP Client. Like Cyberduck, Transmit (for Mac) or whatever PC equivalent (I don't use em).

My knowledge to SSH is very limited but I guess, it will make your iphone (or any device on which you install it) as a server.

It will help you to talk to other servers/computers remotely. BUT turn if OFF when you are not using it, otherwise you will be carrying a server in your pocket.

Pendu

Thanks

thread moved!

please post in the right forum...

Default what is the right forum?
    I didn't mean to put this in the wrong forum, but I don't know which one I should have posted in.