Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: Still lost in the confusion
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM #1
Still lost in the confusion
I just bought a brand new iphone a few days ago from the Apple Store and need it to work on t-mobile. I've spend several days, hour upon hour reading just about everything in this forum to properly unlock it and to make most, if not all of the functions to work.
The problem is, there are many conflicts and unclear messages as to where to start. It appears that Apple is shipping all of their current 8GB phones with the 04.01.13_G firmware (1.1.1).
My primary questions are:
Does it matter what version of i-tunes is used? Current ver on itunes is 220.127.116.11
Do I leave the original Sim in the phone running the procedures?
What steps do I want to run with this firmware version?
Do I have to roll the firmware back, unlock and roll back to 1.1.1?
I can see there are a lot of very intelligent iphone people here and hope someone will be able to help. I'm sure there are many new members here that have the exact same questions.
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM #2
Assuming you have an iPhone running 1.1.1, I would recommend checking out the Unlocking forum and proceeding with the guide put up today, its stickied there..
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM #3
1. You want to use T-Mobile...So you can't activate through itunes. So start by getting to safari by following these instructions (you must have an unsecured wifi network or atleast be within range of one).
Info from: Gricko666 & pilot1
slide to make emergency call.enter *#307# press call, now use the back button on the top of your screen to remove *#307# , now enter 0 , press call, press answer, press hold, press decline. And you get to the contact list. And thereafter every time you push the homebutton you just slide the "emergency call" slide, then enter 0 , press call, press hold, press decline
Push contacts, end call and you get called again, this time hit decline and you access one of menus with favorites, you can edit contacts, do a test ride on keyboard, take photos etc.
Now edit a new contact and type in a web-address(Jailbreakme.com)
When you tap the address safari opens but only displays an error saying that it cannot access the website, it also looks like safari freezes up.
Now press the home button, and for a split second the iPhone shows a screen where you can select wi-fi networks. Now you have to be really quick and select a network before the phone freezes.
Next you get Back to the "emergency call page" and every on screen button has frozen so the only thing you can do is turn off the phone.
Turn the iPhone off then on again
Now you can go back to the contact list by Dialing 0, push call, then answer, then contacts, then hit that web address you typed in."
(Follow these instruction very carefully, it may take you a few tries)
2. Now after gaining access to safari you need to Jailbreak your iphone to gain read/write access and to be able to install an application that will unlock your phone. Currently the easiest way to do this is to visit the link that you made in the contact called Jailbreakme.com through safari on your iphone and then press "Run AppSnap". Appsnap will crash safari and take you back to the activation screen or the home screen im not sure. Now do not press anything; your iphone will do the rest by itself. After about a minute or two you should see the slide to unlock screen and simply slide the slider to unlock your iphone. (If you are still at the activation screen then turn your phone off and back on, you should be at the unlock screen with an activated phone). This will take you to the homescreen where you will see an app on the 4th row called "installer".
3. Open Installer.app and update it if you are prompted to. Next, in installer, go to "Sources", then "edit" then "add" then type: iphone.blurgle.ca/repo. Your sources will then refresh. After you have added this source to the installer you can go to "Install" at the bottom on the installer.app. Go to "All Packages" then install "anySIM".
4. With your T- Mobile SIM in the phone, Run the anySIM app and follow the on screen instructions. This will unlock your phone to use on any GSM network and thus allow you to use your T-Mobile SIM. You may need to restart your phone after the unlock.
5. YOURE DONE and your unlocked!!
(THIS SHOULD ALL BE DONE WITH FRESH FIRMWARE VERSION 1.1.1, NO NEED TO DOWNGRADE ANYTHING.)
Last edited by Hackme; 10-29-2007 at 05:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackme For This Useful Post:
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM #4
Well, thanks for the help anyway. I can't turn it off anymore, it just sleeps. Was able to get safari to open (you have to save in 2 places). Got my wifi in the .0002 seconds it displays (tried over a dozen times). I now am the proud owner of a brand new brick.
Well, now I unbricked it pressing power and home together and now connected to jailbreak.com (Guess I panicked too soon). Lets see what happens now.
Last edited by Ringo4422; 10-29-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM #5
Hackme, that is one easy method. If it works, it will blow all others away.
Two days ago I revirginized my unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone, upgraded to 1.1.1, then jailbroke and activated. I had a very hard time!
I wish this method was available then! It does look like it's gonna work, tapping on the new revolutionary AppSnap. Before AppSnap, I found all existing methods and guides inadequate. Hackers can be great programmers but they are not always good at explaining clearly step-by-step instructions. Many assume that their language is understandable but it is still technobabble to many. I have seen several guides explain the *#307# method wrong. Some miss important steps. One procedure had incomplete files in their download. Others do not even state whether the procedure is for Windows or Mac. No wonder beginners are caught in a convoluted maze.
A simple method like yours will be a giant leap in our efforts to help the uninitiated out there. Thanks!
10-29-2007, 09:31 PM #6
Jailbreak worked! A little of diddling around but it did work. Now, how or where do I open Installer.app? Is this somewhere in the phone?
At this point everything worked up to anysim. The directions says to use the new sim the phone came with. Mine was never activated. Hackme said to use my T-Mobile card, which I did try first first. It appears that the program is freezing. I waited about 3 minutes then restarted the phone. I ran it twice with the same results. My T-Mobile card makes the phone display "Incorrect SIM". I will work on some more tomorrow.
Hackme, thanks for everything Dude! I know I will get this.
Last edited by Ringo4422; 10-29-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost