Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: returning iphone tomorrow

Default returning iphone tomorrow
    So if you remember me, I am the guy who had the ridiculously low output volume call output. Weeelll..... No change
    I had decided to upgrade and see if it was fixed. No. It was not.
    So it was suggested that I tale of back to the apple store. Not being an att customer, I am at a loss of what to say to the guy at the counter to get a replacement. Also, I needs to restore my phone but do I need to virginize it agoan after using anySIM 1.1.1? Any help on what to say would be great thanks .

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

wish you luck...

Any ideas of what to say? Any successes want to share their stories?

I actually returned mine on 14th day of me owning the iphone. I wanted to exchange it for another one because it had the negative black issue but if I had to prove to them that this problem actually existed, it wouldn't have worked. I unlocked it and had "T-Mobile" on the top left to indicate my carrier. If they saw this, then I probably wouldn't have been able to return it. I just restored the iPhone to its original 1.0.2. firmware using itunes and the shift+click method. If your not familiar with it, just hold down shift while you click on the restore button on itunes to direct to where the 1.0.2. firmware file is located. Then I basically said that the iPhone didn't have all the features that I wanted in my phone. They asked me if I activated the phone and I just said no. They were probably wondering why but they didn't question me. They took it to the genius bar but didn't seem to have done anything. The cashier said that he would take it to the genius bar to make sure everything was ok. I'm guessing they didn't find anything wrong since once you turn on the phone it says something about needing activation, like it was when I first bought the phone. I'm hoping to wait for better screen production in the iPhone till I get another one or just simply wait for the next iPhone. Good Luck

Thanks guys. I basically just want a replacement because the new ones don't have my problem. Here's how I think its gonna go down:
    My friend, an att customer, is gonna activate my phone after I restore and virginize it with his iPhone's sim. We are going to go in to the apple store and say that I have not used the phone yet as I don't have money to cancel tmobile yet but that I heard that certain phones had very low mic output volume and it was based on serial numers. My serial number was one said to be affected, and before I actually had the money and stuff,I had my friend activate it with his sum card, and it was a lot quieter than his, may I please have a working one, thank you.
    Sound solid enough?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampyros_wrath View Post
    Thanks guys. I basically just want a replacement because the new ones don't have my problem. Here's how I think its gonna go down:
    My friend, an att customer, is gonna activate my phone after I restore and virginize it with his iPhone's sim. We are going to go in to the apple store and say that I have not used the phone yet as I don't have money to cancel tmobile yet but that I heard that certain phones had very low mic output volume and it was based on serial numers. My serial number was one said to be affected, and before I actually had the money and stuff,I had my friend activate it with his sum card, and it was a lot quieter than his, may I please have a working one, thank you.
    Sound solid enough?

It's your money, you don't owe them an explanation for why you are returning it. I didn't even bother restoring my first phone when I returned it. They opened the box to make sure everything was there but they never turned on the phone.

Really, well technically it is a hardware warranty, but I have heard stories of people being refused service because of "not having an att number". I don't know, but I have postponed going to the apple store until Thursday... hopefully I can come up with a good backu story by then .

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

tell them that you were having activation issues with your phone not holding a charge or that you were having voice issues on your phone..the lady didn't even check mine and just swapped out a new one for me...i now have a jailbreaked 1.1.1 with no scratches or dust under the covers

i think it all depends on your location. There will be some people who strictly follow any guidelines about returns and there are those who will just do an exchange. It also depends on your story. If it seems credible then i'm sure they will exchange it no questions asked.

I am having problems with an iphone i am trying to unlock, it is a long story. anyways i have another legit iphone that is registered with AT&T, if i activated the legit one on itunes does AT&T know the serial or IMEI #, or can i exchange the broken one and they wouldn't know it is a different phone? Please let me know.
    Last edited by jaredb03; 10-29-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Typo

when you activate with att in iTunes, all of you information is sent to apple, but they will probably exchange it. Hey thanks for all the help guys I'll keep this on mind come Thursday.