Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: i'm totally screwed!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default i'm totally screwed!
    I had a perfectlly unlocked and working 1.02 version iPhone. I decided to upgrade it to the 1.1.1 thru this guide:

"Downgrade 1.0.2 baseband OS X iPhone

This will be in 4 sections. The first step is what we are on. Section 2 is Upgrading to 1.1.1, Section 3 will be Preparing the 1.1.1 iPhone for Modding/Unlocking, and last section is actually Unlocking the 1.1.1 iPhone."

I ran into problems in the Step 2 - Backup your seczone. (yes I am an amateur with this stuff).

Anyways, I had previously on step 1 dragged the virginize folders into usr/bin. It would then not let me back up my seczone. I was instructed to reinstall the BSD subsystem. I downloaded the installer app. and when I went to try that process, I lost all functions on the iPhone. I tried rebooting, etc. but could not click or do anything. The only way to get back in the game was to restore via Itunes. Which led me to brick the phone. : (

Now I am on square one with an unactivated phone. "Downgrade Baseband 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 OSX" http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dow...1_to_1.0.2_OSX

His second step says to download the apple restore file. However when I download this and follow his instructions, there is no _restore.ipsw file in that download. And I can not move on in the process without it.

Is there an easier softer way to get my phone re-activated and then get to my intended update of a working 1.1.1?

HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by lamofo View Post
    I had a perfectlly unlocked and working 1.02 version iPhone. I decided to upgrade it to the 1.1.1 thru this guide:
    [snip]
    I ran into problems in the Step 2 - Backup your seczone. (yes I am an amateur with this stuff).

Anyways, I had previously on step 1 dragged the virginize folders into usr/bin. It would then not let me back up my seczone.
    Please re-read the first page of the guide - note what it asks you to copy to usr/bin - ie: not the whole folder, but six of the items in the folder.

Also note, that you have to check and modify the file permissions for virginisation to work correctly.

From what I can tell, this is where it went wrong for you.

As far as recovering from where you are at, please also read the Independence help file, which is accessed through the Independence help menu. It will help you understand and set up the firmware files for the restore. It can also jailbreak/unlock 1.0.2, which you probably will need to do, as you need a working SSH to virginise and start over.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can not run Independence until I am back at 1.0.2

I can not get to 1.0.2 without the restor file. I am on a mac and it downloads a folder that says "iphone 1,1_1" In this folder is no restore.ipsw file. therefore I can not even move forward on the unbricking process.

The whole process requires two "copies" or variations of the firmware file, and, it also depends upon what you downloaded it with.

From the Independence help file:

2. Download the 1.0.2 firmware file from Apple if you don't have it already.

• If you downloaded it using Safari, then Safari will have automatically decompressed the file you downloaded to a folder named iPhone1,1_1 and removed it (the original file). However, you need to have both the original downloaded file as well as this folder. To fix this problem, open Finder, navigate to where the folder is, select all of the files contained within the folder (Apple-A), right-click (or Ctrl-click) one of the selected files, and then choose the Create Archive of 5 items menu item to recreate the downloaded file again. The file created will be named Archive.zip. Rename it to be called iPhone1,1_1.ipsw

• If you downloaded it using another web browser, and the browser didn't automatically decompress that file to a folder, then change the file extension from .ipsw to .zip and unzip it yourself by right-clicking (or Ctrl-clicking) it, selecting Open With from the menu, and then selecting BOMArchiveHelper. If you renamed the file to have a .zip file extension, rename the extension back to .ipsw

3. You should now have a folder which has a name starting with iPhone1,1_1 that contains all of the firmware files as well as a file with the same name as the folder but with an extension .ipsw added to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwdav For This Useful Post:

lamofo (10-27-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had to pay a guy that is down with iphone dev. team just to get my phone working again. even took him over an hour just to fix whatever I did. maybe I can be the martyr for guys that don't know what the hell there doin trying to change software : ) the damm instructions just seemed so doable.