Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about the EDGE network.

Default Question about the EDGE network.
    Hi.
    I might consider buying myself an iPhone after saving some money.
    But, my big question is.
    HOW FAST is the EDGE network?

I've been reading reviews that its slow and such.
    --slower than Dial-up.
    While i hear that it's fast now that it goes 200kbps

I know everybody here is an iPhone user, so i came here to ask.
    Say, is it fast, slow, or just alright?

Because, I want to go online while I'm at school, without going on school's WiFi and found out that most sites are blocked and filtered.

Please, help me.
    Thanks in advance.

.KrayZie

PS::I'm not an Apple fanboy, but i just want an iPod touch, classic and an iPhone right now. =]
    ...because im the kind who goes for the functionality, not name and brand =]

BUMP.
    sorry if i cant bump.
    but. 18 views and no reply, i need help -_-
    Last edited by KrayZiePiNoy; 10-27-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

41kbps here on Optus in Melbourne. Will test Telstra this pm and get back to you.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

FORTYONE?!
    ..that IS slower than dialup!!

but, when i tried it on my friend's iPhone, its pretty alright
    not fast.nor slow.
    ...maybe just because i live in the suburbs =]

Sometimes, it can be fast as hell.
    Other times, it won't connect at all.
    It's really iffy, but I haven't really ruin in to a dilemma because of it.
    If you're outside in a city, you can usually connect pretty well.

I see.
    Thanks for pointing that out to me.
    because, that's the only thing i want on the iPhone.
    its internet, and the ability to view web pages, instead of the ugly ones you see on normal phones.

i live one hour away from LA.
    and like i said above, in the suburbs is where i live
    does that affect its EDGE signal?

What if when I go out-of-town, like on the way to SanFrancisco or NorCal in general?
    you know, those freeways, that theres nothing but mountains and vegetation.
    signal?

sorry for asking tooo much questions.
    because, this is what i want to know before considering buying an iPhone. =]

Last edited by KrayZiePiNoy; 10-27-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

its slow, but bearable

for weather, sports scores, movie times, etc its perfect

for youtube its okay... but not ideal

and for flash based websites its.... o wait a second.... nevermind
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

It is slow. Very very slow. It is not a substitute for your current connection to the internet. If you are looking to bypass your school's internet, then get yourself a broadband account from your wireless provider. Verizon has a wireless broadband account for $59 a month,(the cheapest ATT contract is $71) unlimited data. Put the card into your laptop and be on your way.

Tested Telstra here in Melbourne: 106kbps. Mind you, California networks are faster than Australia's. We're in the dark ages when it comes to the internet. But I live with the slow speed because I need my internet - email, eBay, weather, Google maps.

KrayZiePiNoy, do buy an iPhone. You won't regret it.

Mabuhay!
    Sydney, Australia

I just ran the network test and I got 141, and 192kb so I can't complain..its definately better than dial-up!

Thanks for all your replies.
    it took me a double post or 3 to bump this thread so you guys can see it =P

@lifesmymachine
    i like what you said about flashbased sites. =]
    i still wish theres flash support for both touch screen apple products, that would be crafty.

@pmas
    thanks for the info.
    unfortunately, I dont have a notebook computer and im too poor and young to get one [I'm in FreshmanHS, fyi]
    but that would be good, because i hate school's internet >__<
    thanks, once again. that would be helpful in a year or two =]

@truenorth
    Thanks for pointing the net speed in your area.
    Well, I live in the suburbs just one hour away from LosAngeles.so I dont know about the speed in here.
    I'm guessing it just depends on the location, hmm?
    AU?..dark ages when it comes to the internet?..is the internet in AU that kinda slow..i thought its just faster as ours =]

Now, it makes me doubt buying an iPhone more because there are only few pros and TONS of cons. ='/
    but i'll make up my mind sooner or later.

Mabuhay? thanks.
    I almost forgot that there are a large population of Filipinos in Australia, right?

As of my name, just call me KrayZie.
    you dont want to type 5 more letters and put P and N on CAPS =]

@stemhead
    hmm, that's kinda like the faster version of the internet access that still needs the use of a dialup modem and phone line. [=

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZiePiNoy View Post
    @truenorth
    AU?..dark ages when it comes to the internet?..is the internet in AU that kinda slow..i thought its just faster as ours =]
    Well, that's Edge. My broadband at home is decent at 1.5-2 Mbps. But there's no true unlimited plans; mine is capped at 21GB d/l for $50 a month. Some ISPs even count upload in that cap.

Mabuhay? thanks.
    I almost forgot that there are a large population of Filipinos in Australia, right?
    Yes, there is. I'm a new kid in town, having just migrated from Canada in Dec. '05.

As of my name, just call me KrayZie. you dont want to type 5 more letters and put P and N on CAPS =]
    No, I don't!

Btw, I posted in your other thread, too. Hope you weren't affected too much by the fires. I've been in your neck of the woods a few times. Cerritos, Riverside, SD, W Covina. I love California!
    Sydney, Australia

hey kabayan, live in the bukid area here in WA. optus doesnt really have edge here and uses GPRS, was wondering if what your using there is real edge or also GPRS because i heard before that only Telstra had edge and optus doesnt.

advance thanks for anyhelp you can give
    ty

Pare, I'm not really sure if what I'm running on Optus is true EDGE. I only know it works. Maybe someone else can shed light on this. Ingat.
    Last edited by truenorth; 11-27-2007 at 12:07 AM.
    Sydney, Australia

if you have FW 1.1.2 your edge icon will just be a blue box if your using GPRS but if it has an "E" on it that means ur using edge.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to forsyt For This Useful Post:

truenorth (11-27-2007)

OK then. Mine displays a solid box, although it's white, not blue. So Optus runs GPRS. Salamat uli!
    Sydney, Australia