+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone stuck in middle of Restore - Help

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone, I have a serious problem with an iPhone I was trying to unlock. I have managed to activate/unblock an iPhone with firmware 1.1.1 and made it work. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone stuck in middle of Restore - Help
    Hello everyone,

I have a serious problem with an iPhone I was trying to unlock.
    I have managed to activate/unblock an iPhone with firmware 1.1.1 and made it work. I downgraded the OS to fw 1.0.2 and then the baseband from 4.01 to 3.18 if i remember correctly. Now the iPhone is working flawlessly. Note: it was accidentally upgraded to fw version 1.1.1 from an unlocked 1.0.2 version which was its original version.
    Secondly, I have tried to do the same thing for a NATIVE 1.1.1 iPhone, following approx. the same steps. I managed to do the OS downgrade, could activate it (or more correctly skip activation), got to the menu, installed things and then tried to downgrade the baseband as well. This is being done by using a VT100 Terminal application. Compared to the first iPhone, when entering terminal window for this one, there was already an error:
    /usr/bin/login: not found
    /bin/login: not found
    When trying to issue the bbupdater command, I got error: permission denied. i went further and erased the baseband with the iEraser software. After that I realised I wont be able to install the other firmware since it was supposed to be done by the same command: bbupdater ....
    I found myself blocked, so I tried to do a Shift+Restore from iTunes to start it all over again.
    Here is where the big problem is: it all works perfectly until a certain percent of the restoration process and then it just gets stuck. The iPhone stays in Restore mode (yellow triangle) and will not boot to the Activate screen.
    Also, Ive tried the AppTappInstaller.exe tool under Windows, it gets stuck at appearebtly the same stage, where the phone is supposed to boot normally.
    Basically the iPhone does not have any baseband at all, no GSM, no WiFi. Would this prevent it from recovering via iTunes? I thought the baseband was just for the Radio part.
    Is there any way I can move it away from this state, in any direction?
    I am in a really desperate situation!!

thanks,
    ionutz

Basically I am afraid that the problem with this iPhone is that it cannot boot anymore, if i turn it off and then on, it gets stuck in the Recover mode (yellow triangle).
    Ive tried restoring 1.0.2 (Shift-Restore) as well as 1.1.1 (Restore) in iTunes, no luck. Also, rebooted computer, iPhone, changed USB port, etc.
    Pleeaseeee, give me an idea...

Basically I am afraid that the problem with this iPhone is that it cannot boot anymore, if i turn it off and then on, it gets stuck in the Recover mode (yellow triangle).
    Ive tried restoring 1.0.2 (Shift-Restore) as well as 1.1.1 (Restore) in iTunes, no luck. Also, rebooted computer, iPhone, changed USB port, etc.
    Pleeaseeee, give me an idea...

Well, it seems I have downloaded the 1.0.2 firmware again from the internet and tried after a couple of hours and it miraculously worked. I got an alive iPhone again!!! yupiii!!!
    If you need details about the actions I took, since i managed to unlock at least one, feel free to post replies here.

thanks
    Last edited by ionutz; 10-21-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Please read the guides, it will help you get across. There are multiple ways mentioned to restore your phone or downgrade from v1.1.1 to v1.0.2 and re-unlocking it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can you let me know what you did as i am in exactly the same position

thank you

Green Apple
    Thanks

Restoring in iTunes from DFU mode can be a hit and miss affair. I thought I'd bricked my phone last night.. Was getting all kinds of errors from iTunes about not being able to restore. The I rebooted the computer, tried again, and it worked fine :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mr Greedy - Thanks for the advice it worked in restoring my iphone but i still have my original problem

When i turn the phone on and it gets to the activation page. I cant slide the bar to the right as it seems to have locked up.The white writing doesnt run and is stuck at the beginning and in the top right hand corner its says searching - its stays like this for hours. Ive tried several restores 1.1.1 and 1.0.2 but no change.

ive tried putting it in the special restore mode and restoring but makes no difference

HELP!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr_greedy View Post
    Restoring in iTunes from DFU mode can be a hit and miss affair. I thought I'd bricked my phone last night.. Was getting all kinds of errors from iTunes about not being able to restore. The I rebooted the computer, tried again, and it worked fine :P
    same here. what a relief. also try reinstalling itunes

sub
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi ionutz,

I would like to hear about how you managed to solve the problem, as I have exactly the same problem, being stocked with the yellow triangle on the screen of the iPhone no matter what I do
    Thank you in advance
    Flemming

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default stuck on preparing iphone for restore
    my phone keeps rebooting itself and whenever I try to restore it with itunes it gets stuck on "preparing iphone for restore" I've left it like that overnight and nothing happened. All this started after I installed the hightymes and iswitcher sources. I have tried changing usb ports,reinstalling itunes. Really need help I've read dozens of threads on tons of different sites and haven't found any fixes.