Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how can i get wifi at home????

Default how can i get wifi at home????
    i currently have sprint wireless internet on my pc and was wondering if it was possible to convert that to wifi so i can access the wifi itunes music store from my phone. i know nothin about wifi, jus that u can get it at wifi hotspots. please fill me in on what exactly wifi is??? and if im able to get it my self???

Thanks

Wi-Fi = wireless internet

how do i get it on my iphone? I dont get any wifi signal where i live, is there any way to increase the chance of getting it on my phone from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by brant8624 View Post
    i currently have sprint wireless internet on my pc and was wondering if it was possible to convert that to wifi so i can access the wifi itunes music store from my phone. i know nothin about wifi, jus that u can get it at wifi hotspots. please fill me in on what exactly wifi is??? and if im able to get it my self???
    Do you have some kind of modem supplied by sprint? If so....
    Get a wireless router. Connect you internet cable "cat-5" cable into your new wireless router and instant wi-fi....
    Last edited by 808mp5; 10-21-2007 at 02:26 PM.

When you say "sprint wireless internet" do you mean a Sprint Aircard? If so, in order to get wifi from that you will have to buy a special router that has a slot for an aircard.. Linksys makes one as do a few others..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bschucher For This Useful Post:

brant8624 (10-21-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone rxmxsh's Avatar
    Thanks

1. get highspeed via your cable or dsl
    2. get wireless router
    3. 1 cable goes from router to your pc/mac so that has highspeed
    4. access your wireless network via your phone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rxmxsh For This Useful Post:

brant8624 (10-21-2007)

If I understand Sprint Wireless Internet access correctly ( http://www.sprintbroadband.com/technical_detail.html ). Your home PC is connected to the Sprint provided digital broadband modem via a cable. This means that you DO NOT have Wi-Fi in your home. You will need to purchase an Wireless Internet Gateway router from your favorite electronic store, etc (I suggest NewEgg.com). This will provide a wireless access point for your home as well as additional cat-5 LAN ports for other PCs that do not have wireless capability. Some of the most popular brands of wireless routers are D-Link, Netsys, and Netgear. I prefer D-Link but they all do about the same. Really any 802.11b/g compliant router will do. Here is a link to an example. The example router also supports 802.11n which is a new standard with much more range and speed. 802.11n is coming soon but has not been adopted by IEEE standards yet. This is mainly for PCs and such, I don't see the iPhone supporting 802.11n anytime soon, if ever, without a hardware upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127220

Once you get the wireless router, you need to setup your wireless router so that other wireless users near you cannot access your Internet service.

Note: DO NOT use the factory default setting in your wireless router! Anyone with any wireless knowledge could access your wireless router, change settings, and lock you out. Or worse, access your PC and steal private information.

First, change the ADMIN password in your wireless router! Then you need to assign an SSID and WEP password in your wireless router for wireless users. All this will be explained in the wireless routers manual and is also explained on the Internet. Once this is done you will need to associate your iPhone with it. Go into your iPhone settings and check for Wi-Fi access points. If your router is broadcasting it's SSID (note: this can be disabled), you should see it on your iPhone. You will have to program your WEP password into your iPhone. Do this and anytime your near your wireless router, you can use you Wi-Fi to access the Internet, email, etc via your iPhone.
    Last edited by Delmustator; 10-21-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: update
    -Del

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Delmustator For This Useful Post:

brant8624 (10-21-2007)

actualy if you just want to ssh you dont need cable/DSL
    just get any wireless router plug the Ethernet into your computer and connect the iPhone wireless
    The router will come with directions to set it up you just won't be Abel to connect to the Internet through the router without cable/DSL

iPhone? More like MyPhone rxmxsh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Delmustator View Post
    If I understand Sprint Wireless Internet access correctly ( http://www.sprintbroadband.com/technical_detail.html ). Your home PC is connected to the Sprint provided digital broadband modem via a cable. This means that you DO NOT have Wi-Fi in your home. You will need to purchase an Wireless Internet Gateway router from your favorite electronic store, etc (I suggest NewEgg.com). This will provide a wireless access point for your home as well as additional cat-5 LAN ports for other PCs that do not have wireless capability. Some of the most popular brands of wireless routers are D-Link, Netsys, and Netgear. I prefer D-Link but they all do about the same. Really any 802.11b/g compliant router will do. Here is a link to an example. The example router also supports 802.11n which is a new standard with much more range and speed. 802.11n is coming soon but has not been adopted by IEEE standards yet. This is mainly for PCs and such, I don't see the iPhone supporting 802.11n anytime soon, if ever, without a hardware upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127220

Once you get the wireless router, you need to setup your wireless router so that other wireless users near you cannot access your Internet service.

Note: DO NOT use the factory default setting in your wireless router! Anyone with any wireless knowledge could access your wireless router, change settings, and lock you out. Or worse, access your PC and steal private information.

First, change the ADMIN password in your wireless router! Then you need to assign an SSID and WEP password in your wireless router for wireless users. All this will be explained in the wireless routers manual and is also explained on the Internet. Once this is done you will need to associate your iPhone with it. Go into your iPhone settings and check for Wi-Fi access points. If your router is broadcasting it's SSID (note: this can be disabled), you should see it on your iPhone. You will have to program your WEP password into your iPhone. Do this and anytime your near your wireless router, you can use you Wi-Fi to access the Internet, email, etc via your iPhone.
    That's what I said, just less wordy.

Thanks for all the replies, and yes i do have the sprint aircard that plugs directly into 1 of the usb ports on my pc. im probably going to go to best buy tomorow and see if they have what i need i jus wanted to know what it was that i needed so i didnt end getting the wrong thing. So what i need is a router that allows me to plug in my sprint aircard. Thanks