Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Thinking of getting an iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Question Thinking of getting an iPhone
    So, I've had my SLVR for a little over a year now and I'm getting bored.

Well, I love my iPod and I've lover all my past iPods (R.I.P.)

So, now I'm considering buying myself an iPhone so i have a few questions.

I've modded my SLVR sicne the day i got it and i absolutely love doing it. I mod everything i have and being that my phone is what i use the most out of everything i have, I like modding it more than anything else.

What are the differences and similarities between modding a SLVR vs. modding the iPhone?

I'm afraid I'm going to be wasting my money too. I could use a new video card for my computer so I'm debating on which one i should get.

Lastly, i like listening to my music out loud while I'm walking or in the shower and such. Does the iPhone play over the speaker or only through the headphones? How loud is it compared to the SLVR?

I'll post any other questions that i think of.

Thanks in advance, N8

i do not yet have an iphone but i know i can answer your question regarding the speaker...

the iphone can play music outloud without headphones in the jack...the question now is whether its load enough for you

The SLVR is where I got my start modding to. Modding the iPhone is more involved than a plug and flash for the most part these days. The more challenging the better though in my opinion. I've never needed to unlock mine so I can't attest to how hard that is. As for the speaker, like the other poster said, music will play through it, but a SLVR with volume mods will blow it out of the water, at least as of present. Actually, I think most stock phones could kill the speakerphone on the iPhone. =( There is an ongoing effort here to mod the iPhone volume though, and their work thus far is killer on making the headset cause ear bleeding, which I happen to like. In the end though, I'm pretty sure if you love iPods, you'll love an iPhone. It's the whole reason I got one. In my opinion it's the greatest iPod ever that just happens to have phone capabilities to boot. Oh, and it doesn't have that damned easily scratchable backing on it that I hear is STILL included on the touch generation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devlinrandom View Post
    The SLVR is where I got my start modding to. Modding the iPhone is more involved than a plug and flash for the most part these days. The more challenging the better though in my opinion. I've never needed to unlock mine so I can't attest to how hard that is. As for the speaker, like the other poster said, music will play through it, but a SLVR with volume mods will blow it out of the water, at least as of present. Actually, I think most stock phones could kill the speakerphone on the iPhone. =( There is an ongoing effort here to mod the iPhone volume though, and their work thus far is killer on making the headset cause ear bleeding, which I happen to like. In the end though, I'm pretty sure if you love iPods, you'll love an iPhone. It's the whole reason I got one. In my opinion it's the greatest iPod ever that just happens to have phone capabilities to boot. Oh, and it doesn't have that damned easily scratchable backing on it that I hear is STILL included on the touch generation.

I actually started with modding my RAZR's (Had 3 of them) but i liked the SLVR (It was newer and sleaker and it had iTunes!!) so I went out and bought one when my crazy X broke my 3rd and final RAZR/ I've had my SLVR for over a year now, like i said and i love modding it, I even started from stock multiple times and did EVERY mod to my SLVR myself.

It's definately fine that the iPhone is hard to mod, I absolutely love modding so the harder the better!

As for the unlocking thing, i have Cingular (or AT&T whatever it is now) and i love their service so I'm definately going to stay with them.

It does suck that the volume is below par, I have a SLVR with volume mods and I'm still a little dissapointed with how loud it is. I guess I'll just have to deal with it, there is ways around it so I'll just figure something out.

I hate that the iPod scratches so easily I have a video and I have to pull out the brasso and a cloth just about every week to keep it looking decent. I've read a lot of reviews on the iPhone since I started pondering buying one and the one at ars technical was the best one Iíve read so far.(Iíll add a link soon) They put the iPhone through a major durability test (eventually destroying it) which proved to me that I wonít break my iPhone.

Hopefully we can fix the volume problem, that would make the iPhone perfect! It is lame that it doesn't support MMS too. But, considering how much i MMS I'm willing to give up my MMS compatible SLVR for an iPhone.

So I have decided that Iím going to get one, Iím going to wait until Christmas and have someone buy me one or my family will get pissed. But come December Iíll have my new iPhone!

Keep up with the comments and thanks for the help.

Not real familiar with SLVR but I can tell you a little about iPhone. Since the iphone is driven by a unix-based operating system (derived from mac osx) eminently modable. This whole website is dedicated to achieving that end. Once the phone is unlocked you basiclly have a mini-mac that happens to function as a phone. It is also possible to change carriers with a hack or two although I personally have no experience with that. Explore this website to discover the possibilities!

Sorry, I got the terminology wrong. The proper term is "jailbreak" as opposed to unlocked. It's an important distinction. Jailbreak is simply making the file-system available for modding. Unlocking is a bit more intrusive and can result in future complications with firmware updates. Unlocking allows for the use of other carriers. Once the filesystem is "jailbroken" the possibilities are endless. Oh, speaker vol is a little dissapointing but after all, they're almost microscopic!
    Last edited by seh7464; 10-19-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have unlocked iphone , music plays loud without headphones
    Do you want to unlock your iPhone?Do you want to find out how I unlocked my iPhone? Visit my blog at
    http://iphknie.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razorbl View Post
    I have unlocked iphone , music plays loud without headphones
    How loud, like hear it when I'm in the shower loud?
    Hear it over 10 people talking loud?