Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Sell Unlocked iPhone in France

Default Apple to Sell Unlocked iPhone in France
    Read the story here.

Whoa. I wish I knew someone in France. They'd be swarmed by orders from all over the world. Does this mean that all the unlocking by DevTeam, etc., will no longer be necessary?

I'm gonna start checking out my European contacts. What will it take to change the iNterface back to eNglish?

iPhone? More like MyPhone taylorcold's Avatar
    Thanks

Not so fast.

The locked versions will sell for 399 euros. Thats $567.05 US for a locked Apple iPhone purchased in France. The unlocked ones for more. Do you really want to go to France and pay more?
    Last edited by taylorcold; 10-17-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: need a period

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Read the story here.

Whoa. I wish I knew someone in France. They'd be swarmed by orders from all over the world. Does this mean that all the unlocking by DevTeam, etc., will no longer be necessary?
    Because of the higher iphone price in france, only one hack will be needed. Copy the french f/w to a US phone. It will be indistinguishable from a legit unlocked phone.

Quote Originally Posted by gshaviv View Post
    Because of the higher iphone price in france, only one hack will be needed. Copy the french f/w to a US phone. It will be indistinguishable from a legit unlocked phone.
    You won't have a warranty here, so why buy from them unless it has hardware unavailable in the U.S.?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Some people may want to buy an unlocked phone, rather than going thru the pains of unlocking it themselves. Let's face it, unlocking is not for the faint of heart. Not everyone is technically savvy to follow very technical instructions, many of which are not clearly communicated. Just look at the threads here. Half the enquirers are confused, myself included. I eventually got mine working, but not after many hours of work. And I'm an IT guy!

But yeah, I see the cost problem of buying in Europe. But I see many people are willing to pay a high price for the iPhone. Here in Asutralia, some have paid over US$1000, averaging around US$700 - PLUS shipping - just to get hold of unlocked iPhones.

The market will be there and people will pay a premium for the convenience of pre-unlocked iPhones. Put in your SIM and it works.

iPhone? More like MyPhone taylorcold's Avatar
    Thanks

You are right. People in Europe are paying 650+ for an unlocked iPhone.

But how long before :

1 x Locked iPhone + 1 x Unlocked French iPhone + iPhone Dev Team = No more locked phones at all ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Meaning?
    I think he means that unlocking would simply only mean flashing the French firmware onto a locked phone. But doubt Apple would make it this easy.

I think there will be some trouble ahead for AT+T. Their lawyers are probably furiously trying to renegotiate their contract with Apple!

Thanks

Any french users here can provide the download URL to the firmware used on the iPhones sold in France. Please PM ME.

the reason for some people buying the iphone in current states, is that for it's functionality, $399 US is very decent. Why is it $399 US? because it's locked phone. All locked phones are cheaper than the "unlocked" phones because of a contract aggrement in between the companies. Now France is selling for 399 EURO locked, and i bet it will be much more unlocked (599 estimate anyone?). When it comes to the US or Canada, with shipping, customs and all that, it will be close to 800-1000 US/CAD dollars. IMO Iphone does not worth 800 bucks to me, for it's functionality.

Remember, other phones in 800 bucks price range has functions that iphone does not offer, such as voice recording, video recording, back light/flash for photo taking, MMS, 3G, i can list more if i have to.

But are they as sexy?