+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring in 1.0.2 that had previously been upgraded to 1.1.1

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hmmm...now you've got me thinking (that's always dangerous ). Let's say somebody updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 by mistake. And, what I mean "by mistake" is, they were informed that
    iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Restoring in 1.0.2 that had previously been upgraded to 1.1.1
    Hmmm...now you've got me thinking (that's always dangerous ). Let's say somebody updated from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 by mistake. And, what I mean "by mistake" is, they were informed that they would be able to install 3rd party apps on 1.1.1 like they did on 1.0.2, but then realizied that was not the case. So they followed the procedure to "downgrade" back to 1.0.2, which requires the use of apptap twice in the final steps. They never unlocked or attempted to unlock their iPhone in anyway.

Now they wish to restore their "downgraded" 1.0.2 iPhone to a "clean" unmodded 1.0.2 again, removing all apps and any sign of modding. If they attempt the "restore" to 1.0.2 by using the "shift key + clicking on restore in iTunes, what will happen? Will the process once again end up with an error message in which apptap has to be used again? Or will it restore to a totally "clean" version of 1.0.2? Anybody attempted this?

So...WHAT? This is a dumb question or something? :-)
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 10-16-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone Gazoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting that you post this.

I attempted something similar. I had an unlocked 1.0.2 and felt that baseband virginization would allow me to upgrade to 1.1.1.

Didn't work.

Now i'm in the process of rebuilding it.

What's the connection to your case, you say? Both, I suspect would required the 'vaunted virginization process'

It didn't work for me. Use at your own risk.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, I have suspected that. Even though I never unlocked or attempted to unlock, I have nevertheless been hesitant to attempt this, due to the fact that apptap was required as the last step for this "downgrading" process. And of course, if that's needed again in a restoration, it would not leave me with a virginized 1.0.2. In fact, I'm well aware that the baseband I have even with the 1.0.2, is actually the baseband for the 1.1.1 firmware.

So, maybe my best bet, is to just update to 1.1.1 (not now, but some time in the future), when it is my purpose to have a "virgin" iPhone. The reason I am considering all of this is, that there may be some point in the future, when Apple has somewhat opened up the iPhone for 3rd party apps, either their own (via iTunes) or others. And at that point, I would possibly want to have a "clean" (virginized) system to take advantage of all of that. It is for that reason, that I was wondering about FIRST, "virginizing" to 1.0.2 (which actually could not be done due to the baseband) and THEN, updating to a "virginized" 1.1.1.