+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: All my questions

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
best firmware for no mods? aim? can i get it on my phone? third party apps? what does it do?does it disable anything? email?can i use aol? unlocking? how much?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone j3wbagell's Avatar
    Thanks

Default All my questions
    best firmware for no mods?

aim? can i get it on my phone?

third party apps? what does it do?does it disable anything?

email?can i use aol?

unlocking? how much? what is disabled?

i will be adding more questions as they come to mind

not one question to be answered?
    Last edited by j3wbagell; 10-14-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My parents didn't pay for my iPhone.
    *If i help you hit that "Thanks" button for me*

iPhone? More like MyPhone Murfunit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3wbagell View Post
    best firmware for no mods?

aim? can i get it on my phone?

third party apps? what does it do?does it disable anything?

email?can i use aol?

unlocking? how much? what is disabled?

i will be adding more questions as they come to mind

not one question to be answered?
    Best firmware is whatever is current. (IMO I didn't buy an iPhone to shackle it to a retro firmware. I'd have stayed with Verizon if I wanted crippleware) Eventually all versions will be cracked and 'modable'

You can put AIM on an iPhone if you jailbreak it and add 3rd party software (Apollo and MobileChat are the primary apps for IMs)

3rd party apps are things like IMs, Games, text editor, RSS feeds, Podcasts, file transfers and such. Additionally all of the skinning tools are 3rd party apps. Installing 3rd party apps doesn't disable anything. It does entail 'jailbreaking' the phone however. (Jailbreaking is the process that makes the phone read/write) Nothinhg is the jailbreak process is permanent. The entire process can be reversed and the phone restored to exact factory status by simply restoring in iTunes

Unlocking (IMO) is best done with either a TurboSIM (Purchased from several on line sources. Info can be found Here) or IPSF, a software method that is non detrimental to the phone. The license for the unlock is sold by various resellers on line. Info is Here Both solutions run approximately $60US. IPSF you can do immediately, since it's a download and registration process. TurboSIM ships (usually from Prague, unless you can find a local dealer) and takes a bit to receive the SIM, unless you go with express shipping, which costs more than the SIM.

There are free methods, but frankly, having been burned once by the developers of the free method, I'd prefer (and hence recommend) spending $60 to get a stable method.

IPSF doesn't disable anything. It uses the same routine to send an unlock code to the phone as you would if you requested/paid for one from your carrier or the hardware manufactirer.

TurboSIM is a thin 'piggyback' sim card that tricks the phone into thinking there is an AT&T SIM installed.

And I can personally attest to the fact that both methods stand up to restores via iTunes and firmware updates (I have a phone unlocked with each methos)
    Last edited by Murfunit; 10-14-2007 at 05:04 PM.
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette