Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can parents monitor iPad usage?

Default Can parents monitor iPad usage?
    Are there any ways that my parents could see what I'm doing/have done on my iPad? It's a first generation, I got it when my dad got his new iPad. He restored and did all that for me, even changed it's name to Laura's iPad. I didn't see him do any of this though. I have nothing to hide, but I feel like he's monitoring everything I'm doing. He seemed over-eager for me to pick out all my apps and get my email set up. Is there any computer software or an app for an iPad/phone to monitor iPad usage? And how detailed would it be? I know he has this app on his phone that lets him see whatever is on the computer screen. I just hate feeling like I'm constantly being watched.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

Posts like this always make me giggle...why might your Dad be monitoring your internet habits? It could be because you were playing online at 4am on a Thursday night/Friday morning.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't need to be scared....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona299 View Post
    If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't need to be scared....
    No, there's a difference between privacy and guilt. And no, it's not possible to track the usage of any iDevice without the appropriate software. Unless your father was involved in developing iOS in which case he may know where log files are stored, assuming there are any.

In short, as long as you clear your cookies, clear internet cache, delete backgrounding apps, then there's no way to track what apps or things you've been playing/watching.

Well, to first answer your question, there are apps like Mobicip that allows parents to control usage of your iPad, but it does use a different flavor of browser other than Safari. You would know it if you had it. Second, you didn't state if your iPad was 3G enabled. If it is, and if it is on Verizon, Verizon also gives parents the ability to see who a child is calling, texting at what times of the day, etc. It also gives the parents the ability to limit how long and when you can use data and how much data. This is all controlled at Verizon, so no special software is needed. I do not know if similar services are offered from the other carriers. If you're using it at home, your father may have parent monitoring software associated with your home Wifi.

As far as privacy is concerned, I agree with Mona299. As long as you are a child living at home, your privacy is very limited to such things as getting dressed, going to the bathroom, bathing, etc. There might be others, but not many, that's for sure. A parent has every right to know what you are doing, who you are doing it with, where you are doing it, and when you are doing it. As you will find out when you become a parent, that's a parent's job. It's called nurturing, guiding, and protecting your child.

If you feel like you are being constantly watched, then I say good. It will help keep you out of trouble and making bad decisions.