+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What can you do with a developer account?

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I'm kind of curious, besides the obvious like developing apps. Could you install Cydia if you had a developer iPad? Im assuming it let's you install and run unsigned code
    Thanks

Default What can you do with a developer account?
    I'm kind of curious, besides the obvious like developing apps. Could you install Cydia if you had a developer iPad? Im assuming it let's you install and run unsigned code so that you can test out games and stuff, so I would think you could install all kinds of tweaks and stuff right? I'm very uneducated when it comes to developer accounts so I'm probably wrong, but I'm still curious.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I never had a dev account, I (think) it lets you get access to more features and I believe you need to have it in order to sumbit apps, also doesn't it also come with some dev kit and a emualter to test your apps?

That's what I have seen but don't hold it to me ^_^

Thanks

Yea I think it comes with some sort of emulator for testing. It comes with Xcode too, which I think among other things let's you sign apps you've developed so you can test them on your iPad. Idk though.

Thanks

Anyone can get XCode, I have it, it costs like $5.00 in the Mac App Store. You couldn't install Cydia through a Dev account, or everyone would do it. I take that back, you could install the actual Cydia GUI but it wouldn't do anything, afaik though I may be wrong. One reason I see non-devs purchase a Dev account is to be able to access the beta firmwares, also to sell their UDID slots too.

Sort of off topic: If you are looking to learn how to program for Mac or iOS, XCode is pretty nice. I am using it as my IDE as I learn how to develop in C++. It will come in handy when I feel comfortable enough with C++ to start on Obj-C (iOS language for those who don't know). I have a loooong way to go, I am on pointers right now.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Anyone can get XCode, I have it, it costs like $5.00 in the Mac App Store.
    Its free for Lion. Snow Lepoard had to pay for it.

Thanks

Yea, I forgot Xcode is on the Mac AppStore. I definitely want to learn more about programming, I know VERY little right now, but I don't have a Mac so I can't use the SDK. I was JW about the Cydia thing, I figured no since like you said everyone would do it, but still had to ask. Thanks to everybody for answering.