Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Question which one to get 3G or Wifi

Hybrid View

Default iPad 2 Question which one to get 3G or Wifi
    Hello there
    My birthday is coming up soon and I was thinking about treating myself to an iPad yes I know 3 is coming soon but I really fancy the iPad 2 in white for some reason...

I have a Few questions...

First I dont know which one to get 3G + Wifi or Just the WiFi
    Im living in england and the companys want you to take out monthly contracts for data and all I really just want a Pay as you Go simcard as I already have a High iPhone 4S contract and a Blackberry I feel I dont want another contract. I know I can tether my iphone with the Ipad which is good which is making me go more to the wifi only side...
    Also if you have 3G in the ipad do you have to activate it... like with the iPhone which can be annoying...
    I also travel about alot that is what brings me to my question buy pay as you go ipad sim cards if they do them in other countrys or not is there much of a difference in the 3G version... or will I buy the wifi version and only regret it...
    Im hoping the 3G version can work without simcards so it just is a wifi version...

Also what cases to buy I like the apple smart car but no back protection... only ones I can see is on ebay which are cheap china ones which I dont think will help....

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Not sure bout Europe but wifi's pretty readily available where I live in
    Orlando, FL USA. I'll save my money and go with just Wifi version plus if your got a jailbroken iPhone u could tethered it for free...of course I would do that conservatively.

Devils' advocate: The nice thing abut getting the 3G version is that you don't have to have a contract. Heck you could decide that since you were going on holiday for a few weeks somewhere that you want 3G and buy a prepaid SIM and then never use it again. The beauty here is that you get to choose to use it or not. That was my thought process when I got my 3G iPad.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

If you have an iPhone 4S, I would wait for the jailbreak to come out for it and the iPad 2 on iOS 5 and get the iPad 2 wifi and buy through cydia MyWi for both and use the MyWi OnDemand option that uses the blutooth to tether them together. Uses less battery power than wifi tether, only activates when the ipad turns on. Was great on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 when both were on 4.3.3.

Both are on 5.0 now. iPhone 4 is tethered jb and using Semi-Tether as a fall back incase of a reboot while away from home. iPad 2 still waiting on jb. Plan on doing the same thing when that happens.

With that said, when my 2 year contract is up for the iPhone 4 with AT&T I will be cancelling my iPhone plan, buying a iPad 3 3G/LTE (when it comes out) and selling my iPad 2 wifi only. I plan on getting a cheap prepaid dumb phone for calls and using the iPad for cellular data. I usually have it with me in a backpack and if I don't I can wait until I get home. Worse case, when the iPad 3 gets jailbroken I can always tether my iphone 4 (with no cellular service) to the iPad with Wifi/blutooth. It can still be used as a camera or for my daughters amusement.

Wifi is a really pain in my country, there are just few free wifi hotspots around. i should buy a 3G version instead.

In my opinion (which was my reasoning for this) if you already have an iPhone with a good data allowance is it really worth the extra money to have 3G on the iPad when you can simply turn your phone into a hotspot and use it that way? I thought not! I get loads of allowance so I do it that way. I've always got my phone on me so I've always got a hotspot if I need it. I've never yet come across a situation where I've thought "I should've got the 3G".....

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz229 View Post
    In my opinion (which was my reasoning for this) if you already have an iPhone with a good data allowance is it really worth the extra money to have 3G on the iPad when you can simply turn your phone into a hotspot and use it that way? I thought not! I get loads of allowance so I do it that way. I've always got my phone on me so I've always got a hotspot if I need it. I've never yet come across a situation where I've thought "I should've got the 3G".....
    True which is why I went with my Jailbroken iPhone 4 with MyWi on demand and my iPad 2 wifi only (was jailbroken until i updated it to 5.0) combination. It worked great and can't wait for the next untethered jailbreak for the iPad 2. I don't tether much but it does come in handy when it is needed. I would go with this route if you plan on keeping your iPhone or another smartphone that allows tethering.