View Poll Results: Port Windows 8 for iPad?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 16.67%
  • No

2 33.33%
  • Hopefully

3 50.00%

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will Windows 8 be ported to the iPad?

Thanks

Question Will Windows 8 be ported to the iPad?
    How many of you think this is a possibility, or are hoping this becomes a reality. I'm hoping that I'll be able to dual boot both iOS and Windows 8.

Or if your a developer and plan on attempting to do so, let us know for support. thank you

Last edited by raduga; 09-29-2011 at 11:04 AM.

I would love to see that, however I would put a 1% chance on that since no other os has been ported (publicly at least) to the ipad. The closest well ever see is the dreamboard theme of it.

No ARM = No port

Thanks

true, i forgot they arent on ARM processors, don't the iPhones use ARM processors though? maybe a light port for iPhones?

Yeah, iPhone has ARM

It would be cool to see - although; no.

Thanks

I can understand why people wouldnt really care for it because the functionality most likely wouldnt be too great, although I'd want to see where it could go, idk, having a full operating system like that could have plenty of benefits, easy filesystem browsing and possibly a dual boot with both windows 8 and ios, there are a lot of pros and cons with it

I know what you mean. Linux on an iPhone just doesn't seem right, it would be the same way with windows 8. On an iPad it may be alright though. Why wouldn't the proformance be good?

Thanks

Well windows 8 I believe is designed for ARM processors, Idk if it'll be ported to work on iPads, I'm hoping but I don't know if it's possible, on an iPad I'm sure it will work great, I installed Windows 8 on my computer, but it's just not right without the touch gestures, it's more designed for tablets than computers, I'm waiting off to see if it is ported before I buy a tablet though, if it is I'll buy the next gen iPad

I don't mean to be a part pooper, but I actually hope that it does not make it's way to iPad. I know many people would like to see this happen, but I honestly cannot get into the interface- It feels so weird to me, and not the good kind! Lol. Why did I go as far to say that I don't even want to see it happen? Well, since I first saw WP7, I was like "uh uh, I don't like it", even after seeing some of the (alleged) cool things it (supposedly) does.. Haha, I don't know why I am so negative; I think I may actually prefer Win7 to Lion, after I finally got the dual boot set up on my MB. I wonder how Win8 Tablet will be once it gets slapped on some hardware, perhaps then I will change my tune. Until then, I am a no.

Edit: also, I wanted to point out that from a technical point of view, iPad could not dual boot anything right now as OpeniBoot only works on 1st and 2nd Gen iPhones, and will likely remain that way for quite some time. Of course, if the bounty were high enough, like really way up there, anything is possible..
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 10-03-2011 at 02:50 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

well there are programs that will disable the metro ui start menu so its the same as win 7 for the most part, which would be just like having win 7 on your ipad, which i would do most likely, i want it because id like having a full operating system on the ipad you know, its something i could make use of

Really though? Why do so many people want a full blown OS on an ultraportable tablet? I do not understand that.. I get that people want a filesystem browser- I do too! Why not just get iFile via Cydia? It works better than most explorer/finder replacements, IMHO. But what does a Full OS really offer?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

At Microsoft's Build event, Steven Sinofsky said that Windows 8 has been ported to ARM processors. Other people have found that 8 doesn't need to install drivers for most hardware. So it would be fairly easy to make OpeniBoot have an extra Windows 8 setting. And we could write a driver so it takes advantage of the iPad 2's smart cover magnets.
    So we don't violate Microsoft's EULA, it would have to ask the user to use Microsoft's tool to install Windows on a USB drive, then transfer the files to their iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Really though? Why do so many people want a full blown OS on an ultraportable tablet? I do not understand that.. I get that people want a filesystem browser- I do too! Why not just get iFile via Cydia? It works better than most explorer/finder replacements, IMHO. But what does a Full OS really offer?
    Resizable windows and a taskbar. And programs like Google Chrome, Notepad++ and Apache httpd.