Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gesture to Rotate Screen?

Default Gesture to Rotate Screen?
    Hey everybody,

Sometimes it can be more desirable for me to use a rotate gesture to change the screen orientation than it is to physically tilt the device.

I was wondering if there was a gesture for the iPad 2 that would allow me to manually rotate the screen? If not, is there a jailbreak tweak that anybody knows of that will allow this functionality?

Thanks ahead of time for any response.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

The screen rotates from default settings and you can lock it under settings.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

No theres no option for that but u do have the ability to LOCK the orientation if it keeps changing on you to either always landscape(cydia hack) or always portrait(Apple Feature)

Idk with the iPad if landscape lock is already a feature

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

I see a feature there but have not used it cos i want it to rotate automatically, i may be wrong

If you want to lock the iPad 2 (idk about iPad 1) in what ever position it's in right then hit the hone button twice so it pulls up multitasking, go to the left where all the iPod controls are and the far left button locks the orientation in what ever it's on right then. Under settings you can change it so the mute toggle locks or unlocks the orientation. About a gesture, never seen one but that's a good idea.

I like this, a lot. I can see why it hasn't been done (to my knowledge at least), but it would be cool to have as an option. So when one does the gesture to rotate either CW or CCW, the orientation locks and the screen rotates. Simple, but I am sure it is difficult to accomplish.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I like this, a lot. I can see why it hasn't been done (to my knowledge at least), but it would be cool to have as an option. So when one does the gesture to rotate either CW or CCW, the orientation locks and the screen rotates. Simple, but I am sure it is difficult to accomplish.
    Not really the iPad can read 4 maybe even 5 fingers, maybe 10, someone just needs to make an Activator gesture for it in Cydia

The iPad 2 can definitely read at least ten fingers, I tried it in Uzu and every finger did something different. Couldn't try anymore than that though.

It's not a matter of how many digits iPad will recognize, but the software that will rotate the screen for us, and lock the orientation at the same time. It sounds simple, but I would be willing to bet that this is no easy task. I am no where near the level needed to work on a project like this..
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

It seams simple enough just find the code that's telling the iPad to check for rotation and implement that code in for a gesture

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    It's not a matter of how many digits iPad will recognize, but the software that will rotate the screen for us, and lock the orientation at the same time. It sounds simple, but I would be willing to bet that this is no easy task. I am no where near the level needed to work on a project like this..
    I know the number of recognized fingers doesn't pertain to an orientation gesture, I was just replying to a comment someone said about it being able to recognize at least five fingers.

I would very much like to see this feature implemented somehow. I use a stand to suspend my iPad above my bed, and it's quite annoying if I have to take it out of the holder to rotate the screen.

Default Need jailbreak app or hand gesture to lock screen orientation
    The gyroscope quit working on my iPad2 which is now stuck in portrait mode and has been for a month. I could live with it if I could force it to landscape mode permanently or better yet have a hand gesture to manually rotate the screen myself. Anyone hear of such an app?

There are apps that open in landscape mode so I know its capable, but unless the app forces it to landscape I'm permanently stuck in portrait.